Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star

Hard shifting into ANY gear with engine OFF = was adjustment issue

So my Mirage's new thing was: difficulty going into ANY gear when the engine is OFF. Not a problem with the engine running.

So I was thinking (hoping): clutch adjustment?

Going on the assumption that the clutch wasn't fully releasing with the pedal pressed, I put about 1 turn on the adjustment nut to take play out of the cable.... and that seems to have fixed it.

But it makes me wonder if the cable had stretched / is getting ready to snap. Because this problem cropped up suddenly, not gradually. I'm ordering a spare cable now. (Thread: DIY! Snapped clutch cable remove & replace)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-30-2023)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question

So if the pedal engagement is adjusted down toward floor, does the free play become greater than the specs?
    I adjusted the free play, pedal is still high, feels better definitely needed it still a bit stiff though my kid claims it hurts his leg to shift this car.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hello. I adjusted mine a few months ago, and it's been okay ever since. I don't have the knowledge to give you a correct answer about free play. I printed out a graphic from this site. Thanks Mirage Forum! I hope to pick up a service manual in the next month or two, but that's no help for you at present. Sorry. If cable breaks, you may be able to fish a length of aircraft cable through the existing nylon jacket if you can't find an exact replacement. (I just thought of this now.) Good luck with whatever you do.

I'm at 203,000 km now, and found out that my car was built with a CVT when I brought it to a dealership a few months ago. I bought it used from a small private dealership with its present 5 speed manual over a year ago. Tricksy dealership...

Cheers, Tom