Thread: Question about clutch adjustment

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question about clutch adjustment

So there is a write up here about adjusting the free play on the clutch, and some folks adjust the clutch to a lower position, like even with the gas pedal. Do the free play specs just become a moot point? As in much larger free play than specs?

Trying to get my kid to learn how to drive this car, says the clutch hurts his leg.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The..me View Post
    So there is a write up here about adjusting the free play on the clutch, and some folks adjust the clutch to a lower position, like even with the gas pedal. Do the free play specs just become a moot point? As in much larger free play than specs?

Trying to get my kid to learn how to drive this car, says the clutch hurts his leg.
    Smart kid! He wants Dad to buy him an automatic!

I have never experienced an easier clutch to push in than a Mirage. I've been pushing in & letting out clutches since 3rd grade, & I am 60 now.

He'll get used to it! I had to get used to it being so soft compared to my Forester, but now I think nothing of it!

Sorry if I am not helpful. Manuals are overwhelming for everyone at first. I'm impressed you are teaching him. Good luck!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are you talking about the adjuster under the hood? The pedal stays the same height from the floor if you move that, it just grabs in a different location. It won't make much of a difference in leg pressure you need to exert.

If there's another adjustment to lower the pedal please link the discussion you're talking about it. I didn't know about it and would like to adjust mine lower as well.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Maybe your son should adjust the seat properly instead of complaining about the clutch pedal?

The bell housing is a space-saving design and if the clutch pedal is adjusted much too high, it can lead to a penetration with sudden loss of oil. This is not uncommon with the C1/107/AYGO that have practically the same gearbox.

For that and other reasons I would strictly adhere to the FSM concerning clutch adjustment!