Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: mitsubishi long term reliability

Country
    United States
    Thanks

mitsubishi long term reliability

Hi, Brand new to the forum. Im glad I found it. My question is this. I am getting ready to buy a new vehicle and give my son my 06 scion xa with 176,000 on it. Great car by the way. I am interested in the new Honda fit for its fuel economy and reliability. I keep my cars usually 10 years or more. Im very interested in the new mirage for its simplicity price and fuel economy. But will it be around in 10 years ? Do these cars have long term reliability like that Honda fit does? I know about the Mitsubishi warranty but I drive ALL highway and Ill blow through that 5yr warranty in 3 years due to mileage. The 10 year warranty will be over in 5 years. So help me out guys, convince me that If I buy a Mitsubishi over that Honda, That the mirage with proper maintenance can last as long. Thanks for all intelligent posts back my way. Mike

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Iv had alot of Mitsubishi's well over 200K miles. I even had one over 300K miles. On the other hand my buddy's civic threw a rod at 45K miles lol. Im pretty positive that if you treat the mirage well, she will treat you well!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum. I too have been cross-shopping these two cars and am leaning towards the Mitsubishi. You are, of course, asking an unknowable question - one that we would all like to know. Here are a few thoughts:

The Honda Fit, 1st and 2nd generation have been reliable. The 3rd generation likely will too, but there is no way of knowing that - completely new car, made in new facility. The Mitsubishi is new to our market, but has been in production longer. The Mitsubishi also doesn't use direct injection, or other advanced technology to achieve its goal - it uses basic physics, being more streamlined, lighter, and lower displacement (there really is no replacement for displacement after all).

You plan on putting on the miles quickly. That suggests that you will save a bundle with the Mitsubishi's fuel consumption numbers. Lets assume the Mitsubishi needs a bit more repair in years 8-10. Would those repairs really cost more than the anticipated repairs for the Honda + the $1000s in fuel savings. Especially when you consider that everything on the Mitsubishi is a bit smaller and less complex (Honda fuel pump will likely cost a lot more). I doubt it. I am driving a 2003 Ford and doing none of my own repair work, and still my repair costs are under $1000/year currently (alternator, CV boots, brakes, that sort of thing).

We seem to be living in a golden age of engine/transmission reliability. I just don't hear of engine/transmission failures much any more. Mitsubishi's 10 year warranty might not apply to you, but highway driving/steady state isn't very hard on a vehicle, so I doubt you would have any issues assuming you change the oil on occasion.

The Honda is not more expensive because of reliability. It is bigger, more powerful, and more luxurious. I think of the Mitsubishi as what Honda was in the 70's, a small, efficient car without a bunch of bells and whistles.

Here are a couple other threads you might be interested in (forum has a search function, top right).

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ht=reliability

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...=cross+shopped

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-17-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We have 2 Mitsubishi cars - an 03 Galant and an 06 lancer.

Both were trouble free through the 5 yr 60000 mile bumper to bumper warranty period.

The 03 Galant remains trouble free after 11 years (but only 70,000 miles on the road.

The Lancer has had minor suspension issues and the rear quarter panels both developed rust around the wheel wells.

The suspension issues were common to the Lancer. Sway bar links rust through and break. Easy fix.

Mitsubishi really stepped up with the rusted quarter panels. Dealer took pictures and got repair approved by Mitsubishi in one day. The repair was to entirely replace both rear quarter panels, which required dis-assembly of the car, prepping and painting the quarter panels, and reassembly.

Car looked brand new and this was at the end of the 7 yr corrosion warranty (late in 7th year).

We've owned all the import brands over the years. Overall, the Mitsubishi holds up well. The difference between the Mitsubishi cars and the Hondas, Mazdas, and Nissans seems to be that the other brands don't develop the squeaks and rattles that the Mitsubishi cars do.

I live in the Midwest part of the US and the roads are bad. This may account for some of this. Most of the other foreign brands I have owned drove as quiet when I sold them as when new. You can tell the Mistubishi cars have some miles on them, although the mechanicals (engine, trans, air conditioner, etc.) seem to hold up well over time.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ironhead , go here for all the input you need for a FIT . http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/ . This site and FITFREAK are great places for guidance .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi, In a previous post you mentioned renting a cvt mirage for a highway trip/test drive. Could you comment back to me on your impressions on that experience? I would be buying the cvt and as I mentioned I drive all highway here in Maine. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I too have been cross-shopping these two cars and am leaning towards the Mitsubishi. You are, of course, asking an unknowable question - one that we would all like to know. Here are a few thoughts:

The Honda Fit, 1st and 2nd generation have been reliable. The 3rd generation likely will too, but there is no way of knowing that - completely new car, made in new facility. The Mitsubishi is new to our market, but has been in production longer. The Mitsubishi also doesn't use direct injection, or other advanced technology to achieve its goal - it uses basic physics, being more streamlined, lighter, and lower displacement (there really is no replacement for displacement after all).

You plan on putting on the miles quickly. That suggests that you will save a bundle with the Mitsubishi's fuel consumption numbers. Lets assume the Mitsubishi needs a bit more repair in years 8-10. Would those repairs really cost more than the anticipated repairs for the Honda + the $1000s in fuel savings. Especially when you consider that everything on the Mitsubishi is a bit smaller and less complex (Honda fuel pump will likely cost a lot more). I doubt it. I am driving a 2003 Ford and doing none of my own repair work, and still my repair costs are under $1000/year currently (alternator, CV boots, brakes, that sort of thing).

We seem to be living in a golden age of engine/transmission reliability. I just don't hear of engine/transmission failures much any more. Mitsubishi's 10 year warranty might not apply to you, but highway driving/steady state isn't very hard on a vehicle, so I doubt you would have any issues assuming you change the oil on occasion.

The Honda is not more expensive because of reliability. It is bigger, more powerful, and more luxurious. I think of the Mitsubishi as what Honda was in the 70's, a small, efficient car without a bunch of bells and whistles.

Here are a couple other threads you might be interested in (forum has a search function, top right).

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...=cross+shopped

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    We have 2 Mitsubishi cars - an 03 Galant and an 06 lancer.

Both were trouble free through the 5 yr 60000 mile bumper to bumper warranty period.

The 03 Galant remains trouble free after 11 years (but only 70,000 miles on the road.

The Lancer has had minor suspension issues and the rear quarter panels both developed rust around the wheel wells.

The suspension issues were common to the Lancer. Sway bar links rust through and break. Easy fix.

Mitsubishi really stepped up with the rusted quarter panels. Dealer took pictures and got repair approved by Mitsubishi in one day. The repair was to entirely replace both rear quarter panels, which required dis-assembly of the car, prepping and painting the quarter panels, and reassembly.

Car looked brand new and this was at the end of the 7 yr corrosion warranty (late in 7th year).

We've owned all the import brands over the years. Overall, the Mitsubishi holds up well. The difference between the Mitsubishi cars and the Hondas, Mazdas, and Nissans seems to be that the other brands don't develop the squeaks and rattles that the Mitsubishi cars do.

I live in the Midwest part of the US and the roads are bad. This may account for some of this. Most of the other foreign brands I have owned drove as quiet when I sold them as when new. You can tell the Mistubishi cars have some miles on them, although the mechanicals (engine, trans, air conditioner, etc.) seem to hold up well over time.
    I agree, Mitsubishi engines and technology are top of the line. They're quick, reliable and good. I own a Mirage and a Galant from beginning of 2000, it's over 14 years old now. Trouble free, starting the engine at -15 degree no problem, has driven 193.000 km and am sure I can take it to over 300.000 KM as my fellow galant club guys do. My Galant is quite agile and nimble for a car that weighs so much and a body as long as a boat (comparable to BMW 5 series).

The only thing wrong with it is when it got to continuously bumpy roads it squeaks, on highway though, no sound to hear at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    us guys like a squeaky girl with age haha

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a question that goes along with this topic. Do you all think the 3 cylinder would be subjected to a lot more stress because it's a smaller engine?