Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: test drive cvt mirage this morning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

test drive cvt mirage this morning

Hi, Thanks to everyone that responded to my questions on reliability etccc. I just test drove a cvt mirage at Pape Mitsubishi in South Portland ME. I was actually pleasantly surprised. My concerns besides reliability were cvt noise, body roll and highway acceleration. Im coming from a scion xa so Im not hard to impress really. I thought the cvt was a little noisy but you've got to listen for it, no biggie to me, the body roll was evident but again, not something I wouldn't get used to and hey, slow down in the corners anyway ! The cvt power/acceleration was......adequate. It feels about the same as my 106hp scion actually. You have to drive safely and merge safely and know what you've got. No "I can make it if I pull out quickly" or I can pass these 2 cars before the semi gets close" attempts in the mirage. Just like most other small compacts on the road today. I can forgive these little issues for the price and fuel economy savings. Just go out yourself and drive one. Don't believe any bad reviews. It is what it is nothing more, nothing less. I welcome all comments. Ill be ready to buy either this or the new Honda fit at the end of the summer so we will see.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ironhead For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-18-2014),MetroMPG (04-18-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the quick run down on your test drive ironhead.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We test drove an ES CVT with navigation yesterday.

It wasn't as noisy as I was expecting. Wife said it brought back fond memories of driving her old VW bug back in the 70's.

Steering was better than expected and the Mirage did well with the pot holes. In my town we have more pot holes than roads after the winter, so this is important.

My wife wanted to the the Purple color, which they did not have. The sales guy did take us past a pizza place that has one of every color and uses them for delivery at night. Got to see all the colors lined up. She liked the purple.

The owner of the pizza shop was there and talked with us about his experience with the Mitsubishi cars he has. He has about 6 of the electric cars, and loves them for around town delivery.

The Mirages are very popular with him as their are no range limitations and they go forever on a tank of gas. One unexpected comment was that during the winter he had no problem with the Mirages and snow. According to him, the thin tires on the Mirage cut through snow very well. He didn't have a driver stuck in a Mirage all winter.

One thing that surprised me was the navigation system giving a verbal reminder when I exceeded the speed limit. It only does it once per acceleration cycle on a given road, so it "informs" you, but doesn't nag. I'm guessing there is a way to turn off; this feature, but we didn't explore that during our drive.

Our local dealer had a line of Mirages on the lot, but only one with Navigation. Most were the traditional white, black, silver, colors. No green or purple cars at all, and only one red one that was in the showroom.

Overall, we liked the car for the features if offers at the price. Now, just to find the one...., and begin the negotiation dance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Steering was better than expected and the Mirage did well with the pot holes. In my town we have more pot holes than roads after the winter, so this is important.Overall, we liked the car for the features if offers at the price. Now, just to find the one...., and begin the negotiation dance.
    Aydu, I don't know where in Illinois you're located, but South Suburban Mitsubishi in Monee, IL in has a good selection. They are about 60 miles from me and I thought about making the trek up there, but I ended up just using them to get my local dealer to give me the price and color I wanted.

Ironhead, if you're going to be doing mostly highway driving, you might want to consider trying out the manual as well. I've found the following chart from cleanmpg.com to be pretty accurate for MPGs in my manual, perhaps others can chime in regarding the CVT.
    Name:  graph-speed-mpg-mirage-cvt-5mt.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  62.3 KB
    Last edited by Yttrium; 04-18-2014 at 10:27 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would consider the standard but my wife cant drive a standard and she will be driving from time to time thanks for the input Ironhead
    Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    Aydu, I don't know where in Illinois you're located, but South Suburban Mitsubishi in Monee, IL in has a good selection. They are about 60 miles from me and I thought about making the trek up there, but I ended up just using them to get my local dealer to give me the price and color I wanted.

Ironhead, if you're going to be doing mostly highway driving, you might want to consider trying out the manual as well. I've found the following chart from cleanmpg.com to be pretty accurate for MPGs in my manual, perhaps others can chime in regarding the CVT.
    Name:  graph-speed-mpg-mirage-cvt-5mt.jpg
Views: 610
Size:  62.3 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Funny thing about body roll, safety, and speed around the corners.

I'm a natural speedster and have found that the mirage isnt as bad, in the corners, as people think. I push the mirage, in the corners, as much as I've pushed my other cars before it. I'm actually quite surprised that the skinny 165/65 "low resistant" tires grip well on the corners. Now unlike cars that are made to carve corners, the mirage does lack the "confidence feel" that other cars with better shocks/struts/springs and sway bars have. Unless you're doing 3x the speed limit on turns, you're fine with the mirage.

As far as power is concerned, with the CVT, you wont feel any. Period.

For engine noise, the mirage is waaaaaaaaaay quieter than the 09 Kia Rio I drove for 2 years. I asked my brother, who also drove the Rio, and he had the same opinion. I wonder what reviewers compare the Mirage with... BMW, Lexus, Merc? Of course the Mirage would be noisier.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ironhead - Thanks for the tip on Suburban.

I looked on-line and they had the exact car I wanted advertised at a "sale price".

We started negotiating with our local dealer and he wasn't close. We told the sales rep that we had a better price and he immediately said: "Let me guess, it's from Suburban".

We ended up getting the sale price + a small accessory item that was on our car and not the other one.

Our new Mirage is in transit, from Washington. Apparently that is where the Mirages come into the US.

Plasma Purple ES with Navigation. My wife loves the Plasma Purple. After seeing all the available color choices lined up (at the local pizza place) I ended up liking the color too. I think the purple, green, and red colors enhance the front end styling of the vehicle.

We cross shopped the Nissan Versa Note and were amazed at the rear seat leg room inn that vehicle. Also amazed at how cheap the dash looked, although there was an arm rest for the driver.

In the end, the Mirage won out. Better mpg, longer warranty, nicer dash, and better price made the decision an easy one, especially as the Note doesn't come in anything close to a purple.

Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    We ended up getting the sale price + a small accessory item that was on our car and not the other one.

Our new Mirage is in transit, from Washington.
    Congrats.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have spent many a hours looking at South Suburban Mitsubishi's website. Iv always wanted to take a drive down there. Only about 2 hours away. They have by far the best selection Iv seen at mitsu lots iv looked at!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ONLY 2 hours away. damn.