Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mirage ES Bluetooth (how to disable?)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If this site is correct, there might be two different ECUs - one with a combined USB+Bluetooth (2014 US-ES model), and another ECU with just USB (2014 US-DE model):

https://translate.google.com/transla...topic%3D217766

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Here's one reason:

http://www.renalandurologynews.com/r...rticle/157370/

I don't use it, don't need it, and so I see no need to keep it on and using power.
    I'm not questioning your desire to not be exposed to unnecessary radio radiation with the Bluetooth interface you won't be using however my interpretation of the article in the link you provided was that they weren't blaming the Bluetooth signal. Rather the fact that Bluetooth allowed the men to carry their cell phones in their pockets, thereby exposing their man-parts to the much stronger cell radio signal. Bluetooth signal is very, very weak compared to the cell phone radio signal. Once again, I do not question your desire to eliminate the Bluetooth signal in your car.

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Thank you!

Was this located behind the radio, and accessible through the glove box?
    I made those pictures this way.. Open glovebox(Push the buttons/pins to the side at the glovebox so it "falls" down to the passagengers feets area.. Then you can acces the module behind the radio/AC .. It's very tight in here, so if you have big hans you might get a problem .. Hope you can use it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I'm not questioning your desire to not be exposed to unnecessary radio radiation with the Bluetooth interface you won't be using however my interpretation of the article in the link you provided was that they weren't blaming the Bluetooth signal. Rather the fact that Bluetooth allowed the men to carry their cell phones in their pockets, thereby exposing their man-parts to the much stronger cell radio signal. Bluetooth signal is very, very weak compared to the cell phone radio signal. Once again, I do not question your desire to eliminate the Bluetooth signal in your car.
    I'm not so much concerned with the strength of the signal, as I am concerned with the frequency of the signal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I'm not so much concerned with the strength of the signal, as I am concerned with the frequency of the signal.
    You should be concerned more with the total power emitted. Indeed, frequency is important in how it penetrates materials.

I'm curious - do you have any electric or electronic background?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You should be concerned more with the total power emitted. Indeed, frequency is important in how it penetrates materials.

I'm curious - do you have any electric or electronic background?
    I'm concerned about both but moreso with the bluetooth frequency, and yes, and in epigenetics as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Right now, as far as I can discern from the schematics, the 2014 US/ES model has the USB plug connected into the Hands-Free ECB, and the Hands-Free ECB connects to the microphone, the steering wheel controls, the non-MMES radio, and power. The 2014 US/DE model has the USB plug connected directly to the back of the non-MMES radio.

My plan right now is to disconnect all wires going to the Hands-Free ECB, and re-route the USB plug into the back of the radio instead. Hopefully I can give it a try in the next few days.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-08-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I'm concerned about both but moreso with the bluetooth frequency, and yes, and in epigenetics as well.
    That is interesting, and I'm curious to learn more about this. Is your interest here a personal concern, or are you involved in research on this subject?

I'll give a bit of my background. After barely making it out of high school, I enlisted in the US Navy for their Electronics Technician program, and wound up working on some radio stuff. I found that fun as I think radio communications is fascinating. We were given some basic things to watch out for in regards to electromagnetic energy. Your posts here lead me to think there is more to learn about it's affects.

It is my understanding that Bluetooth communication is very low energy, and should be that much safer than today's cellular communications. What other transmitters might the Mirage have - are you concerned about TPMS too? There's one transmitter in each tire there, but that's a lower frequency than BT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)