Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage ES Bluetooth (how to disable?)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage ES Bluetooth (how to disable?)

Can the Mirage ES' bluetooth be easily disabled, or does this have to be done by the Dealer?

The reason I ask is because I don't want to be bathed in the car's Bluetooth's wireless signals everywhere I drive, and I don't really need Bluetooth.

Thank you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Remove the glovebox by opening it and the squeezing the sides. Let it fall to the floor then yank it off via friction clamps that hold it onto the dash.
    Peer inside to the left behind the stereo and you will see the bluetooth receiver module. Disconnect it and you should be good to go. Not sure how this will affect your stereo but therorhetically it shouldnt.
    Mobile so forgive lack of punctuation and elaboration.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dracconus For This Useful Post:

Ares (04-21-2014),cookiemonster (04-30-2014),Eggman (05-04-2016),MetroMPG (04-21-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Can the Mirage ES' bluetooth be easily disabled, or does this have to be done by the Dealer?

The reason I ask is because I don't want to be bathed in the car's Bluetooth's wireless signals everywhere I drive, and I don't really need Bluetooth.

Thank you!
    Embrace the bluetooth.... bathe in the glow.... ; )
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a bad mic on my Navigation unit that needs to be replaced (the whole Nav unit, not just the mic, as they are one unit). Without a working mic, we could make and receive calls and hear the conversation just fine. We just couldn't he heard on the other end.

Until the replacement unit comes in, I found there is a bluetooth setting (on/off) in the menus. Turning it off should shield the occupants of the vehicle from any rays coming from the bluetooth module. In the nav unit, it is under settings/bluetooth. Probably something similar in non nav equipped cars.

By turning it off, we are able to just use the phone without the car picking up the call.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Disabling the bluetooth via the console still requires the unit to be powered on for when its called again. Unless it is specifically disconnected from its power source it is never truly off.
    On the note of the microphone I am 100% sure there would be a way to remove the microphone in it and simply splice a small one from radioshack into it if necessary but thats a fix left to the end user.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe aluminum foil covering the dash?

Works for me on my home windows by keeping the aliens from stealing my thoughts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Maybe aluminum foil covering the dash?

Works for me on my home windows by keeping the aliens from stealing my thoughts.
    That's what you think, but you see I knew you were thinking it did, that's why we let you put it up so that you'd think as often as possible, but we could still steal your thoughts. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously though, Aluminum foil wouldn't really deter the bluetooth frequency as well as youo'd think. For a frequency that high the better bet would be a sheet of tin roofing, or the likes which will add a bit of weight to the car, and be an utter b**ch to put in. It'd be a ton easier to just disconnect the bluetooth receiver module. Even if it's not the same in the Nav unit as it is in the regular stereo it's still a plug in card, or a chip somewhere that can be removed (hopefully, anyways.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, you'd think so, but we took our Mirage to the shop today because the bluetooth mic wasn't working. Dealer had to order a whole new Nav unit as the mic is built in to the unit itself and can't be replaced separately like those found in the headliner.

OK under warranty, but it did set off a red flag that these expensive units are only covered for 3 years under the standard warranty (one of the exemptions of the 5yr/60000 mile warranty), expensive to replace, and seem to be one big component. This makes it hard, if not impossible, to fix something if if breaks down the road. Replacement seems to be the alternative.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It makes sense that they only guarantee it for three years as it is a touch screen and runs an entire operating system with processor gpu etc. But wow...thats still a good find for the exemption.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracconus View Post
    Remove the glovebox by opening it and the squeezing the sides. Let it fall to the floor then yank it off via friction clamps that hold it onto the dash.
    Peer inside to the left behind the stereo and you will see the bluetooth receiver module. Disconnect it and you should be good to go. Not sure how this will affect your stereo but therorhetically it shouldnt.
    Mobile so forgive lack of punctuation and elaboration.
    Thank you