Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mirage economy run Thailand: 31.9 km/L (3.1L/100km, 75 mpg US) 5-spd

If you want/need to accelerate really quickly, I'll go to 5th from 3rd once at the target speed, but you really have to wind it out. If there's nobody behind me or no need to hurry, I keep revs down and run through the gears normally.

Cruising country roads at 55 mph is going to get you some very good numbers! You'll really enjoy this car if you like going for MPG.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Don (05-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Under normal acceleration with the flow of traffic I skip 4th gear because it feels like it's just wasting time and fuel to use it.

The mirage will pull out from 26 MPH in fifth gear very nicely with no lugging. Plenty of torque there.

While it can also pull out in third gear from 15 MPH with no problem I still use second gear to keep from having to wind it out in first.

I did not say that in the correct order so to make it clear on level ground I go 1st-2nd-3rd-5th.
    Only ever use 4th gear when accelerating up hill WITH someone trailing behind me and I don't want to annoy them.
    This way I can keep the ECO light lit and have a smooth acceleration.

I missed this thread, I guess I joined the forum after the last post in the thread. Thanks for bringing it up! Nice numbers these guys pulled off!

Gives me an idea for a new slogen: Drive it like you're in an economy run! (instead of "like you stole it")

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Don (05-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks 3dplane,

5th at 26 is good to know : ) I think i will be getting the car tomorrow, my first new car, the last 2 cars i drove were 91 jetta diesel and 81 rabbit diesel.....i still have the rabbit. i am getting the Mirage because someone rea ended me in the Jetta and it got totaled.
    the wife said Get something new and not another diesel smelling Piece of Crap LOL.. The rabbit still runs good and i use it kinda as my farm truck. I never knew how hard of a clutch peddel it had till i drove the Mirage. that car drives like a dream for me. I am hoping i can get about 60 mpgs around here. with out doing to many mods. and if i can get more i will try. when i get it i will post pics and start a garage here on the site.

also i scored 19 quarts of Royal Purple 0-20 oil yesterday at walmart for 3 dollars a quart, almost have the next 6 oil changes covered : )

Thanks for reading, Don

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 58.0 mpg (US) ... 24.7 km/L ... 4.1 L/100 km ... 69.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry i missed this reply Metro, I will be cruising between 35 and 55 on the backroads using engine on and engine off coasting depending on the length of the coasting area. (I know the roads around here well.) I think in my rabbit i did this and got slightly over 70 mpgs on one tank of gas. i think i can do a lot better with the Mirage.

I practiced a lot of engine off coasting today and had no problems with steering or breaking. two taps of the engine start stop button and you are in ACC mode with everything except the engine running. push in the clutsh and it starts right up. It is a beautiful setup.

I am having a hard time understanding the digital mpg reader thing. i cant seem to get it into the right mode. i will re read the book again. i zeroed everything out today while trying to find the B avg mpg setting. I want to see how high i can get the mpgs, I used to love doing this in the Rabbit, and this car so so much more enjoyable to ride in and drive.

thanks for reading, Don

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 58.0 mpg (US) ... 24.7 km/L ... 4.1 L/100 km ... 69.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don!

To get to "B" average: Short taps of the button till you get to range (miles remaining) display then hold for about a second when you hear a short beep and one more tap of the button to see B average.

Fair warning! The display is a bit optimistic so you will get a little less actual at the pump then what it is saying.
    I document my B-display at every fillup in the comments section of the fuel log and mine is roughly 3-4% optimistic. (but I never really added them all up to calculate average display error)

BTW congrats on the new ride! We got another hypermiler it seems! You are going to enjoy the car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Don (05-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got to the B avg mpg, then did the engine off and it kicked it to the other one lol. Not sure if i am going to do much engine off coasting i will like messing with that is it will need to be reset to much. I also am wondering if i am losing actual miles on the odometer between shutting the engine off and till it is reset to the ACC. before you go back to the ACC mode the speedometer needle is at Zero. when you push the start button twice it goes in to ACC mode and your speedometer needle works again. I went to the gas station just to fill up the car and had 145 miles on the tank. it took 3.4 gallons to fill for 42.6 mpgs. I thought it would be better than that. Tomorrow i will be able to roll the windows down and see how that goes with out using the AC.

The only time i cant do hypermiling is when the wife is in the car with me. but then i keep the hwy speed to a max of 65. it is worth it to keep her happy.........a happy wife = a happy life.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Engine still needs to be broken in plus you likely have your a/c on in Texas! I got 60mpg my first long drive with my mirage home and back to the dealer (brought a friend to drive my Honda home) but I was driving it very gentle.
    2014 ES F5MBD aka 5MT. I am a full time Uber driver, if you want to drive for uber DO not sign up without my referral code for a bonus .

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alex16 For This Useful Post:

Don (05-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi alex16

yep I had the AC on, we had the windows tinted so i had to leave the windows up for 3 days so I was a must. Today will be the first day where i can roll them down. I did get rain guards for the windows so i can leave the windows slightly open so the car wont get so hot when parked in the all day sun. We have not garage and the bamboo we have planted is a few years away from being able to shade us so i went with the rain guards. I worrie about the cars with computers and the Texas heat.

Hopefully better MPG numbers will be coming after a few tanks. not to worried about it. the car is awesome!

thanks for reading, Don

Last edited by Don; 05-04-2015 at 02:30 PM. Reason: forgot to thank Alex for reading