Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on wiring a DRL with sequential turn signal lights

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Question on wiring a DRL with sequential turn signal lights

Hi,

I am thinking of doing a diy install of a drl with sequential turn signal lights.

I am unsure of the wiring though. Do i use a T-tap on the turn signal wire or use a fuse tap and locate the turn signal fuse in the fuse box?

Sorry noob question.. First time to do this DIY.

Heres a link to the drl lights i plan to install:

Ceyes Car Styling DRL LED Daytime Running Lights Accessories Flexible Brake Guide Strips Headlight Auto Day Time Flowing Lamps

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/t8CMbIQM

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bosbik View Post
    Hi,

I am thinking of doing a diy install of a drl with sequential turn signal lights.

I am unsure of the wiring though. Do i use a T-tap on the turn signal wire or use a fuse tap and locate the turn signal fuse in the fuse box?

Sorry noob question.. First time to do this DIY.

Heres a link to the drl lights i plan to install:

Ceyes Car Styling DRL LED Daytime Running Lights Accessories Flexible Brake Guide Strips Headlight Auto Day Time Flowing Lamps

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/t8CMbIQM
    I could be wrong but I don't think anyone has reported installing such a device here on the forum.

Looks like the product has installation instructions. Have you read through those yet?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Yep and the instructions are close to worthless.. Hehe

I am also trying to see if i can avoid the T-tap.. One of the reasons I posted this, to get your thoughts

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yep and the instructions are close to worthless.. Hehe
    Really - can you post a copy of the instructions? It would be helpful to see what you got.

I am also trying to see if i can avoid the T-tap.. One of the reasons I posted this, to get your thoughts
    A T-tap can be quick & effective. There are a few ways to do one. I T-tapped into the reverse lights for the rear-facing camera of my dash cam and it's holding up fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    You may or may not use a T-taps for the connection. That's not critical.. you will notice that the wires in these assemblies are that small when you strip it.. so you might be better off twisting the wires onto the wire of the turn signal lights.

I have two sets of DRL's: one below the foglight while the other one is above the headlights. [My car page has not been updated to include the upper one.]

UPPER DRL: Switchback-type (WHITE/YELLOW)
    LOWER DRL: Plain LED Strip

https://mirageforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1444710947

DRL FUNCTION:
    When the ACC is ON, both sets switch ON: the upper ones (sequential type) GO OFF when the headlights are ON; while the lower ones GO OFF when the fog lamps are ON.

Future Plan:
    I want to modify the operation for the upper set, i.e., it MUST switch on ONLY when the ambient light is not yet bright enough - say time is between 5:30-6:00AM and automatically switches OFF when there is enough ambient light - implementation via LDR.

I have another one installed at the back>

- Stop light (RED LED part) and turn signal (YELLOW LED part) function only (not sequential type LED though)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

bosbik (09-29-2019)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitz View Post
    You may or may not use a T-taps for the connection. That's not critical.. you will notice that the wires in these assemblies are that small when you strip it.. so you might be better off twisting the wires onto the wire of the turn signal lights.

I have two sets of DRL's: one below the foglight while the other one is above the headlights. [My car page has not been updated to include the upper one.]

UPPER DRL: Switchback-type (WHITE/YELLOW)
    LOWER DRL: Plain LED Strip

https://mirageforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1444710947

DRL FUNCTION:
    When the ACC is ON, both sets switch ON: the upper ones (sequential type) GO OFF when the headlights are ON; while the lower ones GO OFF when the fog lamps are ON.

Future Plan:
    I want to modify the operation for the upper set, i.e., it MUST switch on ONLY when the ambient light is not yet bright enough - say time is between 5:30-6:00AM and automatically switches OFF when there is enough ambient light - implementation via LDR.

I have another one installed at the back>

- Stop light (RED LED part) and turn signal (YELLOW LED part) function only (not sequential type LED though)
    Thank you very much for the pics. i really like the one in the rear too. i was planning on doing the exact same thing and make it red so it can act as a rear fog light since the asian version does not have that. it rains hard where i am at so i think it will be a good option.

could you show me pics on how you wired the front lights? sorry for the inconvenience..totally a noob and don't want to end up with cooked wiring.

PS: Just noticed you are Pinoy too.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    could you show me pics on how you wired the front lights? sorry for the inconvenience..totally a noob and don't want to end up with cooked wiring.
    I acquired my car early in 2014 and started thinking right away what mods are possible to it. DRL add-on is just one of them.

Pictures will not be enough. A schematic diagram better suits the purpose. However, I did not take the time to make a clean sketch before and worked only on rough sketches and details drawn only in memory. It will take some time for me now to present a clean drawing.

PS: Just noticed you are Pinoy too.
    You may take a glimpse on my Car ride thread though for the time being. I suggest too that you take the time for a MPH membership so you could see my posts there w/c some actually benefited (some even earned money from the info contained thereat).

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I acquired my car early in 2014 and started thinking right away what mods are possible to it. DRL add-on is just one of them.

Pictures will not be enough. A schematic diagram better suits the purpose. However, I did not take the time to make a clean sketch before and worked only on rough sketches and details drawn only in memory. It will take some time for me now to present a clean drawing.

You may take a glimpse on my Car ride thread though for the time being. I suggest too that you take the time for a MPH membership so you could see my posts there w/c some actually benefited (some even earned money from the info contained thereat).
    I see..
    I looked at the wiring again on for the turn signal lights.. I see there are 2 wires.. One black the other colored.. I assume I tap on the
    colored wire right?

Was there a vacant acc slot in your fusebox that you used?

I think i got the logic of wiring if I dont want the turn signals.. Just wire to an acc plus the ground right?

Mine is a 2014 blue one as well

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It looks simple as it seems at first... I deviated from the usual common way of wiring though that makes it look somewhat complicated. That should not intimidate you to DIY upon reading the ff.

For the lower DRL.
    I wired the negative side of the LED strip unto the positive side of the fog lamp and the positive side of the LED strip unto a fused positive electrical branch. In that way, when the engine switch is ON, the FOG light bulb acts as a low-value resistor in series w/ the LED strip - only the LED strip is ON. When you toggle On the FOG lights, the connection to the LED strip is positive to positive, hence, it is OFF.

For the upper DRL:
    This is how I did >
    I used a 12-vold relay w/ SPDT contacts. What's readily available in the local market is the NO SPST type, so I bought online the SPDT type. I wired the relay coil terminals across the headlight positive lines (H/L combined thru two 3 Amp diodes that serves as isolation device). Then I used the NC terminals of the switch part of the relay as connection point towards the positive wiring connection. With this arrangement, The DRL is switched OFF when you use the headlights.

The ACC line is wired to the fuse box thru the main wiring harness that you see in the firewall.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post58454

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    It looks simple as it seems at first... I deviated from the usual common way of wiring though that makes it look somewhat complicated. That should not intimidate you to DIY upon reading the ff.

For the lower DRL.
    I wired the negative side of the LED strip unto the positive side of the fog lamp and the positive side of the LED strip unto a fused positive electrical branch. In that way, when the engine switch is ON, the FOG light bulb acts as a low-value resistor in series w/ the LED strip - only the LED strip is ON. When you toggle On the FOG lights, the connection to the LED strip is positive to positive, hence, it is OFF.

For the upper DRL:
    This is how I did >
    I used a 12-vold relay w/ SPDT contacts. What's readily available in the local market is the NO SPST type, so I bought online the SPDT type. I wired the relay coil terminals across the headlight positive lines (H/L combined thru two 3 Amp diodes that serves as isolation device). Then I used the NC terminals of the switch part of the relay as connection point towards the positive wiring connection. With this arrangement, The DRL is switched OFF when you use the headlights.

The ACC line is wired to the fuse box thru the main wiring harness that you see in the firewall.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post58454
    Oh ok.. That makes sense and looks like a safe way to wire the front upper.

If i wanted it on all the time and switched on on ignition i could wire it thru the acc right?

I found the F7 port vacant which i think is meant for the DRL. I think that can be used.