Thread: 12v Plug died using 2x 18" LED Strips Rated @ 1A

Country
    United States
    Thanks

12v Plug died using 2x 18" LED Strips Rated @ 1A

As the title states I've got two LED stripes wired into a 12v cigarette plug that originally came with two other LED's attached to it. The adapter has a power button on it, and when wired to a 12v battery pack consisting of 8 AA batteries it still works fine so I know it's not the switch or fuse in it.
    I checked the 15A fuse that is in Slot 2 as according to the owners manual such is the fuse for the cigarette adapter and it and its link show NO signs of burnout.
    I checked the leads, but don't see any signs of them melting from too high a current, and I'm currently baffled.
    Anyone want to shed some light on what could be the possibility of the issue if anyone knows
    I don't have a multimeter at the moment. I'll have to wait a week to get one, so if I hear nothing before then I'll check the lines and make sure the voltage is running properly.

According to the cap on our plug slot it's rated for 120v so I see NO reason why these things would even TRY to hurt the leads which are from the look of it somewhere in the 6-8ga range.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Let me know what you find... I'll be doing this, or something similar soon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Let me know what you find... I'll be doing this, or something similar soon.
    There's got to be a weak link somewhere in this car...
    The first time I hooked them up I had them using the wire from the center LED that came with my car, and they worked fine for a few days then just stopped. No blown fuse, and the lights still work fine in my computer, off a 12v battery pack, and through that cigarette switch that I modified to include its button instead of a 4 pin molex adapter like I was (quick disconnects aren't as cool as a push button, after all.)
    Now I've tried it with the cigarette lighter, and it's the same freaking issue...
    I'm getting stubbornly close to taking this car and running it into the dealerships window and driving out with their '57 classic they had in the showroom. I'll eventually find the cause even if I have to tear the entire car apart. it won't be the first (or even anywhere near the hundredth) but this time I'll have to exercise caution instead of going full on demo with it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)