Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think the Mitsubishi Mirage will age really well

$1.50+/L in Montreal!

(That's $6.20 USD / US gallon for comparison.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    $1.50+/L in Montreal!

(That's $6.20 USD / US gallon for comparison.)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
    Simplicity is an admirable trait, and something most car writers just don't get (even though they ask for it).
    Yeah, it's funny how almost every other review of a modern car goes into a discussion of how they turned into 5-ton entertainment lounges on wheels propelled by electronic nannies, reminiscing of the simpler cars of prior eras and calls for a "back to the basics" model that gets "the fundamentals right". And then when some fundamentally sound, basic concept comes around comes around they don't recognize it for what it is, and start complaining about how it doesn't have direct injection or twin turbos or fancy leather interiors with electric seat massagers or voice activated internet radio or some trendy styling cue...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_One For This Useful Post:

kerc (04-24-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some car reviewers have commented that the Mirage has already aged well, comparing the styling to 90's era cars seen in Eastern Europe!!

Dynamic styling of a car always places a car in an era. The Mirage, to me, seems modern and efficient for it's intended purpose - great gas mileage.

I will admit that while looking at vehicles at the local dealer, the Mirage - in white silver and grey - looked very plain in comparison to all other models on the lot. The darker/brighter colors gave the car more "pop", making up for sweeping body lines and chrome ornaments.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Some car reviewers have commented that the Mirage has already aged well, comparing the styling to 90's era cars seen in Eastern Europe!!

Dynamic styling of a car always places a car in an era. The Mirage, to me, seems modern and efficient for it's intended purpose - great gas mileage.

I will admit that while looking at vehicles at the local dealer, the Mirage - in white silver and grey - looked very plain in comparison to all other models on the lot. The darker/brighter colors gave the car more "pop", making up for sweeping body lines and chrome ornaments.
    I've read that too. I think the Mirage kinda does the 1990's in a good way, and I think it's because it's devoid of sharp lines and angles, which in fact seems to be the current Mitsubishi styling theme. Proportion-wise, though, the Mirage is quite modern, with wheels right at the corners, high stubby nose with high headlights, and a nice, short, bobbed rear end.

About the colors, you're damn right. My favorite colors are green, purple (yes, it's amazing and I was *this* close to getting it, spurred by my 10 year-old daughter), blue, and black.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We ended up getting the purple.

My wife loved the color and found the car to be "cute as could be". Second choice for her was the green.

I liked the red initially, but warmed up to the purple after seeing so many red cars on the road.

Car makers seem to stick to bland traditional colors. Glad Mitsubishi opted to try something out of the box for the Mirage.

When you are driving a car this size, having a bright exterior color does help people see you.

I read somewhere that Silver colored cars have the highest accident rate as the color tends to blend in more with the background.

I'm sure people will be able to see us coming in Plasma Purple

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    the Mirage is quite modern, with wheels right at the corners, high stubby nose with high headlights, and a nice, short, bobbed rear end.
    Sounds like the your describing the original Mini from the late 50's

A quote from Alex issigonis the designer of the Mini

Issigonis firmly believed that 'if you style a car, it goes out of date.' When his friend, the distinguished motoring journalist Laurence Pomeroy pointed out that however much he might dislike the fact, many buyers rated styling above functional qualities like economy, ease of parking and cornering power, Issigonis replied "Yes, my dear Pom, I know there are tens of thousands of such people, but I will not design cars for them."

And

“I feel that Sir Alec could not have summed up his cars better himself when he said ‘If you design ladies clothes, they will go out of fashion in a few years, my cars will still be in fashion even when I'm dead’. His design of the Mini was so good that it remained in production for 41 years and its successor MINI, has taken elements of Minis character and continued forward with them.”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jamiec For This Useful Post:

kerc (04-25-2014)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    I read somewhere that Silver colored cars have the highest accident rate as the color tends to blend in more with the background.
    I read the opposite, that silver was actually the safest color in terms of accidents. The color involved in the most number of accidents was reportedly RED, since it supposedly triggers a psychological stimulus in drivers to play "catch me if you can".
    Don't knock drunk guys in bars; it means they're not driving. -- Richard Gere, Runaway Bride

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by festiboi View Post
    Good point Metro. From a styling standpoint, the Mirage will probably age much better over time. The Spark may look fresher now, but all of those quirky creases, lines, and funky instruments will probably look dated in 10 years. Many adventurous designs, or ones that are gimmicky, don't age so well once the excitement is over. The radical oval 1996 Ford Taurus comes to mind vs. a more conservative 1996 Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. Those cars still look contemporary while the Taurus screams "I'm from the 90's!"

I think people will look at the Spark in 10 years and think "that's so 2013!", and while the Mirage may not look fresh by that time, but it won't give away its age so quickly
    Arguably, it doesn't even give away its lack of age right now. Compare it to some famous Kei cars from the mid 90's:

Daihatsu Mira TR-XX Advanzato R

Suzuki Alto WORKS Turbo

Other than the fact that the Mirage is clearly larger with 25% more horsepower and twice the engine displacement, the modern-ish wheel design (even the 14" wheels we get) and crystal headlights only place its "styling age" in the early-00's.

But it doesn't stand out as a car from that styling era as some "Oh so 90's!" cars do. Early-model SN95 Mustang, I'm looking at you. So yeah, as the car ages, it will be even more of a birthyear enigma to the uninformed. :P

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dorifuta For This Useful Post:

kerc (04-25-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The wheels on that second car... WANT.