Thread: Rear View Mirror With Garage Door Opener

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Rear View Mirror With Garage Door Opener

Has anyone replaced their rear view mirror with one of the mirrors that have the built in garage door opener?

I have a Homelink mirror in my other car and like not having the garage door remote hanging off of a sun visor.

The mirrors with the feature built in require wiring, and are relatively expensive - considering a new shiny remote is about $20, and my old one is free.

I was hoping to find a battery operated model that would allow me to just slip off the old mirror and on with the new.

I'm guessing Homelink has some sort of patent on this technology, keeping others from incorporating it into replacement mirrors.

Any creative solutions for eliminating the sun visor mounted garage door remote?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I put a bigger, and non-light-reflecting mirror on my rearview. So this is not an option for me.

It'd be nice to get one of those sun visor mounted garage door openers doe.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Get a key chain remote and hang it from the mirror for easy access; or mount it with Velcro to the dome light area.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Then might as well get the clip to put on the visor... We're wanting a more natural/oem approach...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I have a nice rear view mirror on the car and a working clip on garage door remote.

Clip on mirrors are cheap, as are replacement remotes.

I'm just having trouble with the notion that I have to shell out at least $150 for a fancy mirror, that requires hard wiring to work. I just want an inexpensive replacement mirror/opener combo that works off a couple of batteries for a year or so between battery changes.

Apparently, no such beast exists.