Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "B" gear on the CVT

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

"B" gear on the CVT

What is it exactly? Only to keep the rpms high to get more torque?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

b gear on cvt

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    What is it exactly? Only to keep the rpms high to get more torque?
    I think its just an overdrive that makes the transmission shift sooner to get you up to speed. I never used it when test driving a mirage last week. Its funny how all the professional reviews Ive read never mention it but many complain about how slow the car is merging etc.......which I disagree with totally, and I didn't even use the B mode.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead View Post
    I think its just an overdrive that makes the transmission shift sooner to get you up to speed. I never used it when test driving a mirage last week. Its funny how all the professional reviews Ive read never mention it but many complain about how slow the car is merging etc.......which I disagree with totally, and I didn't even use the B mode.
    Thanks ... yeah, I haven't had any problems merging on "D" either, but "B" gives it a good kick. I've been switching back and forth between D and B to break in the engine ... just over 100 miles so far

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The "B" actually stands for "braking".
    This mode is specifically for use when a higher level of engine braking is required, such as descending steep hills.
    "B" mode allows the engine to rev to 3000 Rpm throughout the speed range so a far greater engine braking resonse is felt when letting off the accelerator.
    I have heard of some drivers using "B" mode for city driving as the higher Rpm makes the car more "zippy" though at the sacrifice of fuel economy.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-16-2015),Kineo (12-15-2015),yujinius (02-18-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by ironhead View Post
    Its funny how all the professional reviews Ive read never mention it but many complain about how slow the car is merging etc...
    Believe it or not, there was ONE reviewer who did mention B mode. He said he had a blast with the CVT in B.

Thread: US: Mirage review - Driving the Highest MPG Car in America* (Gas2.org)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    On hybrids, they have a similar version but I think it enables more regenerative braking to charge the batteries while coasting to a stop.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I use the B mode mainly for steep hills, has more power than in D.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    It is low gear. It is an "L" in Europe, by the way. You will probably never need it. It is for Climbing/descending very steep hills and I mean extremely steep, like you do when you go off-road.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Also in Europe and the UK (and asia I think) we have an extra position between 'D' and 'L' - 'Ds'. The user manual describes it as 'For downshift and sporty driving'. It seems to make 3000rpm the target rev range (when not pressing on) and seems also to sharpen the throttle response (though whether this is indeed on-the-fly throttle recalibration or just a placebo effect from the engine being more on the boil I can't say).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    On hybrids, they have a similar version but I think it enables more regenerative braking to charge the batteries while coasting to a stop.
    Actually opposite they switch to higher RPM and cut fuel with foot off accelerator. It is purely for engine braking as battery will get charged completely very soon on long descends, and you don't wanna smoke/warp rotors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cyclopathic For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-16-2015)