Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "B" gear on the CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Inuvuk - I don't have a CVT so I don't know: Does the shifter have a D, B and L position? Or is it B for some destinations and L for other destinations?
    2014's & 2015's have a "D" & "B" mode only. 2017's+ have a "D", "Ds (which keep the transmission in the higher range but gives more aggressive downshifts) and "L" which is the same as "B".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-18-2021),MetroMPG (11-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I use "B" to get off the line more aggressively in traffic when I am in a big city for work. Makes a considerable difference.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

inuvik (11-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Absolutely! Drop that into "B" or "L" when you are at low speeds and need to merge. Put your foot into it and it's fine to run it up to 60+ mph / 100+kph in "B" or "L" and then manually upshift into "D" or "Ds" without taking your foot off the throttle. Makes a huge difference.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Inuvuk et all,

I'm sure it does. I'm sure it works that way and makes a difference. But in my opinion that is so contrary to the point of a CVT, as well as how a CVT should work.

In my opinion, there should be no fake shifts with a CVT. It should be exactly as described, continually variable, and based on throttle input.

And furthermore, there should be 1 forward gear selection. And when a driver puts their foot to the floor, there should be no games played, it should slam the rpm to the highest power rpm and interact the CVT in whatever manner creates the fastest gain in speed.

If I'm driving, and I'm accelerating on an on-ramp, and I find a big rig coming and I'm going to merge too close to said big rig, I'm going to want full power when I slam my foot down so I can stay out of that guy's way. He's not on a Sunday drive, he's feeding his family. I don't want 80k pounds to have to dodge me. I don't want to have to reach for a shifter and fight the gating. I just want it to do what my foot tells it to do.

I suppose I'm in the minority, because anything other than that is marketing foolery that I don't care about.

When I were in college, I couldn't afford a car, but could buy a streetbike. They came as they came. No options. 4 carbs no games. I like most things in a similar way (no games or gimmicks). I would find it annoying that I could have to shift to L to get max power / max acceleration.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Inuvuk et all,

I'm sure it does. I'm sure it works that way and makes a difference. But in my opinion that is so contrary to the point of a CVT, as well as how a CVT should work.

In my opinion, there should be no fake shifts with a CVT. It should be exactly as described, continually variable, and based on throttle input.

And furthermore, there should be 1 forward gear selection. And when a driver puts their foot to the floor, there should be no games played, it should slam the rpm to the highest power rpm and interact the CVT in whatever manner creates the fastest gain in speed.

If I'm driving, and I'm accelerating on an on-ramp, and I find a big rig coming and I'm going to merge too close to said big rig, I'm going to want full power when I slam my foot down so I can stay out of that guy's way. He's not on a Sunday drive, he's feeding his family. I don't want 80k pounds to have to dodge me. I don't want to have to reach for a shifter and fight the gating. I just want it to do what my foot tells it to do.

I suppose I'm in the minority, because anything other than that is marketing foolery that I don't care about.

When I were in college, I couldn't afford a car, but could buy a streetbike. They came as they came. No options. 4 carbs no games. I like most things in a similar way (no games or gimmicks). I would find it annoying that I could have to shift to L to get max power / max acceleration.
    The Mirage CVT has two ranges. The upshift between "B or L" to "D or Ds" is real, not "faux" shifting points. Here is a video from JATCO that describes the lower range auxiliary gear.

Last edited by inuvik; 11-19-2021 at 07:57 PM. Reason: syntax and additional info

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Basic (11-20-2021),MetroMPG (11-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts
    Tis interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)