Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "B" gear on the CVT

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Believe it or not, there was ONE reviewer who did mention B mode. He said he had a blast with the CVT in B.

Thread: US: Mirage review - Driving the Highest MPG Car in America* (Gas2.org)
    Ha-ha-ha, so "B" dubs as Sport mode! they should have named it a BS (brake/sport) mode.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclopathic View Post
    Ha-ha-ha, so "B" dubs as Sport mode! they should have named it a BS (brake/sport) mode.
    I wonder what the 0-60 times are using "B"? It's really low geared so I'm wondering if you maxed out in B then upshifted what kind of times you'd get. I know I've gotten the traction control to kick in when I've accelerated pretty hard in B. Wasn't floored either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I wonder what the 0-60 times are using "B"? It's really low geared so I'm wondering if you maxed out in B then upshifted what kind of times you'd get. I know I've gotten the traction control to kick in when I've accelerated pretty hard in B. Wasn't floored either.
    Test it. Do you have OBDII reader and Torque App?

I would not be surprised if 0-60 is quicker than manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The 17+ don't have B anymore. There's D, D sub s (sport I assume), and L.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    The 17+ don't have B anymore. There's D, D sub s (sport I assume), and L.
    I believe the "L" and "B" are the same thing and the letter depends on what market you are in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead View Post
    I think its just an overdrive that makes the transmission shift sooner to get you up to speed.
    ironhead - You misunderstand what an overdrive is. So did I for a long time. The majority of the time it is a reference to the gearing of a transmission. And stems from historical advancements of the automobile due to cars getting faster.

Old school 3 speed transmission, like in my 72 Plymouth Scamp. 1st & 2nd gear are underdrive gears. 3rd gear is drive gear 1:1

Underdrive are gears that allow the engine to spin faster than the transmission output shaft (driveshaft). Engine spins at say 2,000 rpm, the transmission output shaft spins at 1,500 rpm.

Drive gear is 1 to 1. Engine spins 2,000 rpm, transmission output shaft spins at 2,000 rpm.

Overdrive is greater than 1 to 1. Engine spins at 2,000 rpm, transmission output shaft spins at say 2,200 rpm.

The Mirage's manual transmission is 3 underdrive gears, and 2 overdrive gears (no drive ratio, which i can't understand why because 1:1 in a manual is achieved without having to manufacture at least one cog. 1st - 5th = 3.545, 1.913, 1.31, 0.972 and 0.804.

The Mirage CVT would actually be able to achieve an infinite number of such ratios as listed above, including overdrive ratios. However it seems like a G4 CVT I rented one time, the CVT would sort of hold ratios and fake in some "shifts." But maybe that was a different vehicle I'm thinking of.

The B mode must be controlling the CVT biasing it toward the underdrive ratios...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    ironhead - You misunderstand what an overdrive is. So did I for a long time. The majority of the time it is a reference to the gearing of a transmission. And stems from historical advancements of the automobile due to cars getting faster.

Old school 3 speed transmission, like in my 72 Plymouth Scamp. 1st & 2nd gear are underdrive gears. 3rd gear is drive gear 1:1

Underdrive are gears that allow the engine to spin faster than the transmission output shaft (driveshaft). Engine spins at say 2,000 rpm, the transmission output shaft spins at 1,500 rpm.

Drive gear is 1 to 1. Engine spins 2,000 rpm, transmission output shaft spins at 2,000 rpm.

Overdrive is greater than 1 to 1. Engine spins at 2,000 rpm, transmission output shaft spins at say 2,200 rpm.

The Mirage's manual transmission is 3 underdrive gears, and 2 overdrive gears (no drive ratio, which i can't understand why because 1:1 in a manual is achieved without having to manufacture at least one cog. 1st - 5th = 3.545, 1.913, 1.31, 0.972 and 0.804.

The Mirage CVT would actually be able to achieve an infinite number of such ratios as listed above, including overdrive ratios. However it seems like a G4 CVT I rented one time, the CVT would sort of hold ratios and fake in some "shifts." But maybe that was a different vehicle I'm thinking of.

The B mode must be controlling the CVT biasing it toward the underdrive ratios...
    The CVT in the Mirage is actually a dual range transmission. "B" is the same as "L". You can do 60 mph / 100 kph easily in "B" or "L".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    The CVT in the Mirage is actually a dual range transmission. "B" is the same as "L". You can do 60 mph / 100 kph easily in "B" or "L".
    Which is different than using "L" on your more typical automatic transmissions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Inuvuk - I don't have a CVT so I don't know: Does the shifter have a D, B and L position? Or is it B for some destinations and L for other destinations?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Here is my shifter. 2015 ES plus and Canadian. I don't use b mode much. It does slow me down nicely on our big downhill in town, but I just use the brakes instead to reduce the wear and tear on the engine. Name:  shifter.jpg
Views: 1717
Size:  93.2 KB

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cam123 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-18-2021),mohammad (11-19-2021)