Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Day 1 Potential Problems 1 (Bluetooth mic?) Update: warranty replacement

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Today was the day for the new Nav unit to be installed. Dropped the car off at 8:00 this morning.

Got the call this afternoon that the original Nav unit is back in the car. They ordered the wrong unit for my Mirage from Mitsubishi. Apparently the Mirage Nav units are made for Mitsubishi by Clarion. The replacement had to be ordered from them, not Mitsubishi.

Clarion replacement should be here on Thursday. They are Fed Ex shipping it. I have another appointment to try again this Friday.

Fortunately, the only thing that doesn't work on the current unit is the microphone, which is integrated into the unit. So, to replace the mic you have to swap out the whole unit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Clarion's not a bad brand... :thumb:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was pleased when I heard the brand name. They seem to make good products.

Hopefully I'll get one that actually does everything it's supposed to.

I looked the nav part number up on-line. The few sources I found had it listed for about $2000. I'd hate to have this thing go out after 3 years, as Mits limits the warranty on electronics to that timeframe as an exemption to the 5/60 "bumper to bumper" warranty. Hyundai/Kia does the same thing - in the small print of their warranty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had asked the Service Manager about putting in a Bazooka fast 7001 wire harness between the new nav unit and the factory harness. He agreed to try and agreed that installing a plug & play adapter would not affect warranty coverage down the road.

Unfortunately, the Bazooka adaptor is not compatible with the current nav unit.

I wouldn't have even considered this, except for the nav unit swap & their willingness to do it.

Probably going to live with factory sound now as I have no idea what connector the nav unit uses.

I don't want to mess with doing any modifications to factory wiring.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I enhoy my stock system. The only thing i miss are the seperate tweeters my truck had.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree the stock stereo is pretty good (I have the nav unit). I'm the type of person that always wonders "what if" when it comes to stereo stuff.

When I walk into a good stereo store, my palms get a bit sweaty and my hands start to move towards my credit card. Not a good affliction to have.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got a call from the Service Mgr this morning advising me that my new Navigation unit arrived ahead of schedule. Arranged to bring the car in at 2:15 to have the units swapped out.

Took about 20 minutes and I now have a fully functional navigation unit. They tested the Bluetooth and paired it with my phone for me. Got home and called the house from the phone to make sure all was well. Could hear and be heard fine with the new unit.

So far, this has been the only issue with my Mirage. Hoping that I won't see the service department again until regular servicing.

The takeaway from this to me is:
    1. The Nav units seem to have everything built in. If one part goes bad, you're likely looking at a new unit.
    2. They seem to run about $2000 for the unit itself from a Mits dealer.
    3. Warranty for electronics is only 3 years. It is an exception to the 5 yr/60000 mile warranty.