Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsubishi's future in the U.S. is looking good with help of the MIRAGE .

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mitsubishi's future in the U.S. is looking good with help of the MIRAGE .

Has outsold the Yaris and Mazda 2 . Here's the article , http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...utlander-sport .

Wonder if that's why Toyota and Mazda are producing a subcompact together . Skyactiv would be applied . Test drove a '11 Mazda 2 Sport with the 5 speed manual and it's the smoothest engaging clutch I've ever encountered in 38 years of driving . The shifting is also silky , not notchy . Would like to try the manual of the MIRAGE . I prefer a manual , but she's skittish of them .

Here's additional info on the upcoming changes of the MIRAGE and their other vehicles . Go to , http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion...bishi-news/p74 , it's the 5th post from bottom of page . Hopefully none of this has been posted .

Last edited by cinder; 04-28-2014 at 03:37 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cinder For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-28-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Has outsold the Yaris and Mazda 2 . Here's the article , http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...utlander-sport .

Wonder if that's why Toyota and Mazda are producing a subcompact together . Skyactiv would be applied . Test drove a '11 Mazda 2 Sport with the 5 speed manual and it's the smoothest engaging clutch I've ever encountered in 38 years of driving . The shifting is also silky , not notchy . Would like to try the manual of the MIRAGE . I prefer a manual , but she's skittish of them .

Here's additional info on the upcoming changes of the MIRAGE and their other vehicles . Go to , http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion...bishi-news/p74 , it's the 5th post from bottom of page . Hopefully none of this has been posted .
    Great news for Mitsubishi!

It still seems like there is a push for consumers to continue purchasing larger, less fuel-efficient vehicles (as evidenced by Caldwell's statements), but I feel that Mitsubishi, in focusing on more fuel-efficiency, is actually positioning itself for a very bright future.

Nice find, cinder. Notable from the Tribune article:

A Mirage sedan with a turbo engine is under consideration.
    I'll add that to the other thread.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds good, they need to update their engines to be comparable to the rest of the competition. That 3.0L V6 has pretty low horsepower and requires premium while the 3.3L V6 from Hyundai nearly pushes 300hp while not requiring premium.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Bringing them to the brand

One possibility, and I am no expert, is that by having a hit at the entry level, Mitsubishi will create brand loyalty and followers. One of the reasons I like Honda so is that I had a 50cc mini bike. Extreme, yes, but I remember how smooth and quiet and reliable that thing was.

When I buy my Mitsubishi, I'll be going to the dealer for service at least through the basic warranty. Assuming they treat me well there's a good chance I will buy another (in my case, not an Outlander, but many will move to a more expensive vehicle from the Mirage, I expect).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with empg.

I hate how toyota does not do an engine refresh sooner. I believe (could be wrong) that most of the engine in their fleet is a good 5 years old.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by empg View Post
    Sounds good, they need to update their engines to be comparable to the rest of the competition. That 3.0L V6 has pretty low horsepower and requires premium while the 3.3L V6 from Hyundai nearly pushes 300hp while not requiring premium.
    The 3.0 is actually new this year. Its pushing less horsepower this year, and has higher gearing to get it better mpg.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    The 3.0 is actually new this year. Its pushing less horsepower this year, and has higher gearing to get it better mpg.
    300Hp seems like quite a lot to me. I realize there is more too it with power bands and torque curves and such, but our old Ford farm truck had 210hp, I think (5.8L/351CI HO), and with the low range transaxle and other tow-package equipment, it would tow anything you hooked it to, and get a solid 12mpg. The nice thing about that truck was that pulling a horse trailer, with a camper on the back, going up a hill and against a wind would still net about 10mpg and not feel strained (3 speed auto, I think).

I understand the marketing appeal of MORE BIGGER STRONGER, but it seems a bit of a red herring. I think balance is the key - the right compromises that are a blend of powerful enough, cheap enough, efficient enough, comfortable enough, reliable enough and so on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I understand the marketing appeal of MORE BIGGER STRONGER, but it seems a bit of a red herring. I think balance is the key - the right compromises that are a blend of powerful enough, cheap enough, efficient enough, comfortable enough, reliable enough and so on.
    That's not quite true now-a-days... Especially with Fords. Have you seen their engine offerings lately? Putting an ecoboost i4 on a Mustang, discontinuing the 6.2 on the F150s, putting ecoboost i4s on all their cars/escapes/explorers.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    cinder - I am sort of getting a hankering to the Mazda 2. I like the smooth-working clutch - from reviews I've read only. I've never driven one but I like the new 2015 Mazda "Hazumi" 2 that is being finished up for release right now by Mazda. Someone on Edmunds.com that also loves small standard-transmission cars mentioned that one early negative on the 2015 Mazda 2 is that it's going to be put together in Mexico. That doesn't have enough "oomph" behind it ta be a real negative to me. Still love the new Mitsubishi Mirage and, of course, love our '08 Lancer GTS. It's been a great car and there's no way I'll even try to buy a new or new to me car until the Lancer GTS starts nickel and diming us. And I remember a fellow employee in SE Arizona told me "that motor will last forever on your new Lancer."

"It will?"

"Yep!"

She swore she owned a Mitsubishi that blew her away with it's strong performance from the powertrain. Who knows, could be.