Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speed vs. mpg/mileage/fuel economy chart - Mirage 1.2L 5-spd and CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I was able to see two flat sections on my trip that I will use for steady state cruising on my way back home from Vegas, everything seems to be on a hill or slope in this part of the country. my calculated average from the display readings was 47.7 I was getting 53mpg trying to maintain 55mph for about 10 miles on a 60mph Highway at the beginning. but then the highways turn into 70 mph speed limits (which means everyone else was doing 80-85) so I had to stay at the right hand lane with the semi trucks 95% of the time, since we got 47 mpg with a/c on I don't thing that the 40.7 mpg at 70mph with the CVT Is accurate. Hopefully some of the guys with cvt's will also provide more examples of speed vs mpg to try and make that chart more accurate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by vicarpity View Post
    I was hoping to see steady state highway cruise numbers compared. At 90km/hr or 55mpg, same stretch of road
    That's what the chart at the bottom of post #1 shows.

---

since we got 47 mpg with a/c on I don't thing that the 40.7 mpg at 70mph with the CVT Is accurate.
    You mean you got 47 for your whole trip?

Another thing to consider, if you're driving in traffic (especially with trucks), you get an aerodynamic benefit ("corridor effect") that wouldn't show up in the chart data which were done in isolation to try to control as many variables as possible. It happens even if you're not directly "drafting".

But the more reports, the better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    If you were getting 47.7 mpg at 55 mph its optimistic to think that you'll get 40.7 mpg @ 70 mph. Wind resistance increases with the square of your speed, so if you double your speed, your wind resistance goes up 8X! That means going from 55 mph to 70 mph requires 82% more power! This is why aerodynamics of a car are SO important to good fuel economy.

Here is a link to ecomodder's aerodynamic calculator. It shows how much horsepower is required to go a certain speed, and gives an estimated MPG. I dialed it in to show 47.7 mpg @ 55 mph. Its not gospel, but it does give you a rough idea.
    Mirage aerodynamics
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

fc321 (07-16-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    If you were getting 47.7 mpg at 55 mph its optimistic to think that you'll get 40.7 mpg @ 70 mph. Wind resistance increases with the square of your speed, so if you double your speed, your wind resistance goes up 8X! That means going from 55 mph to 70 mph requires 82% more power! This is why aerodynamics of a car are SO important to good fuel economy.

Here is a link to ecomodder's aerodynamic calculator. It shows how much horsepower is required to go a certain speed, and gives an estimated MPG. I dialed it in to show 47.7 mpg @ 55 mph. Its not gospel, but it does give you a rough idea.
    Mirage aerodynamics
    Sry, my post wasn't clear. I got 53 mpg the first 10mile stretch at 55 mph then I reset and I got 47.7 on the rest of the highway portion till I fueled up witch was done at 68-70mph range.

So what I am saying is I got 47.7 on a mostly 70 mph highway trip not the 40.7 the chart reads.
    But if I am getting help from the semis in front of me even when I'm not drafting then that could explain the 3.7 mpg over EPA estimate.

On my way back I will get up to speed and restart the trip meter to see what it reads.
    Last edited by Marrero; 01-18-2014 at 05:29 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 54.7 mpg (US) ... 23.3 km/L ... 4.3 L/100 km ... 65.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    The key is that even though the rpms are higher than we'd like to see, the engine load is also high because of its small displacement. That is what gives the good mileage.
    the lower the load the better the economy. greater loads the engine works harder? more fuel burnt?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True, the lower the load the better economy (less fuel burnt). However, in general the higher the load, the higher the efficiency (less fuel burnt per amount of power generated). Engines like to operate fairly near maximum load. The key to understanding this is to understand brake specific fuel consumption.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (04-27-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    True, the lower the load the better economy (less fuel burnt). However, in general the higher the load, the higher the efficiency (less fuel burnt per amount of power generated). Engines like to operate fairly near maximum load. The key to understanding this is to understand brake specific fuel consumption.
    Sorry but my brain hurts... Does anybody know what the real BSFC is for miirage manual. Also I could make my mirage work harder by doing 4th gear at 50 km/h, and I know I will be saving fuel. But the engine just dosn't sound right. So I put it in 3rd at 2100 rpm at 50 km/h. Here the engine sounds just right Am I wrong or missing something...? thanks beforehand...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

The highest gear you can use when cruising along, the better for your fuel economy.

As long as you're not lugging the engine (causing it to buck/shake roughly), it's fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-27-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The highest gear you can use when cruising along, the better for your fuel economy.

As long as you're not lugging the engine (causing it to buck/shake roughly), it's fine.
    I'm not sure about what lugging is exactly, sorry . Is it okay for the engine to rumble(the actual rumble sound from the 3 cylinder engine?). and this lugging sometimes heppens for me in a short period of times when in 2nd and all off a sudden the car starts to shake like crazy .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lugging is when it sends strong vibrations through to the chassis like you mention.