Thread: Installing a new headunit and your warranty

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Installing a new headunit and your warranty

Hello all, I just got my Mirage this month and I'm not too impressed with the factory headunit so I am going to have Pioneer 2600bt once my guy gets the dashkit in from overseas. And I'm just thinking about this now, will I void my warranty by having this installed in my vehicle? My dealer actually recommended that I don't do it through the dealership since I would cost a fortune. Any input is appreciated.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    OEMs have to prove an aftermarket device caused the problem to void your warranty. If you blow your speakers this is likely, if you have a MAF sensor go bad, there really isn't any connection between the two.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Joshrcrow (04-28-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a grey area. Dealers usually tell people that anything aftermarket done to the vehicle that is not done by their shop will void the warranty.

This tends to scare people into using their shop - even if they charge inflated prices for their services.

I know that a few years ago Mitsubishi had some auto trans problems caused by people getting their transmissions flushed and refilled by quick lube places. Mitsubishi had their own specific trans fluid, while the quicky lube places used a generic. Lots of finger pointing when people submitted warranty claims on their transmissions under the 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty.

If you loaded up your vehicle with a big aftermarket stereo system, you wouldn't care about the warranty on the parts replaced, such as the head unit, speakers, etc.

You might run into warranty issues on other parts of the electrical system, such as the alternator, as they could claim that it was the aftermarket sound system that drew too much current, causing the alternator to fail. Same story if you hack into factory wiring and later have a problem with the electrical system. Ditto if you add aftermarket wheels of a different size, and have suspension problems down the road.

Are these challenges the type that would hold up if you took your case to the US Supreme Court? Probably not. Can it cause you some headaches trying to get your car fixed? Yeah, it can.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to aydu For This Useful Post:

Joshrcrow (04-28-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Outstanding response. Thanks, Aydu. I am going to get all of my oil changes and regular maintenance done the dealer since they are actually pretty reasonable as far as that work goes. QUOTE=aydu;10949]This is a grey area. Dealers usually tell people that anything aftermarket done to the vehicle that is not done by their shop will void the warranty.

This tends to scare people into using their shop - even if they charge inflated prices for their services.

I know that a few years ago Mitsubishi had some auto trans problems caused by people getting their transmissions flushed and refilled by quick lube places. Mitsubishi had their own specific trans fluid, while the quicky lube places used a generic. Lots of finger pointing when people submitted warranty claims on their transmissions under the 10 yr/100,000 mile warranty.

If you loaded up your vehicle with a big aftermarket stereo system, you wouldn't care about the warranty on the parts replaced, such as the head unit, speakers, etc.

You might run into warranty issues on other parts of the electrical system, such as the alternator, as they could claim that it was the aftermarket sound system that drew too much current, causing the alternator to fail. Same story if you hack into factory wiring and later have a problem with the electrical system. Ditto if you add aftermarket wheels of a different size, and have suspension problems down the road.

Are these challenges the type that would hold up if you took your case to the US Supreme Court? Probably not. Can it cause you some headaches trying to get your car fixed? Yeah, it can.[/QUOTE]

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I always use the dealer for regular servicing, as long as the car is under warranty. I want a maintenance history with them for the items that are under the 10yr/100,000 mile warranty. Replacing these items is always expensive and I'd rather that expense come out of a warranty claim than my pocket.

For wear items, such as tires, brakes, batteries, etc. I may use the dealer, may not. Certainly not going to pay a premium for their products, when I know aftermarket parts are just as good.