Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does your aftermarket head unit look like?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

What does your aftermarket head unit look like?

Hello all,

I am going to get a new head unit installed next week once my guy gets the dash kit in to his shop, he said he had to order it from somewhere overseas. He assured me that my new head unit, Pioneer X2600BT will look great with the dash kit and it'll look pretty OEM. I am also going to buy a steering wheel integration kit so I don't loose my convenient steering wheel controls and hopefully he will be able to use the existing microphone with the new head unit. I have attached a picture of the head unit I will be getting, the installer told me it is top of the line.

Has anybody installed any aftermarket head units and does it help improve the sound quality of the OEM speakers?
    Name:  p130X350BHS-F.jpg
Views: 2075
Size:  19.6 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a feeling that your next move will be to upgrade those OEM speakers with some nice components. After a few weeks of this upgrade, you'll probably start wondering what things would sound like with a sub or two in the back.

Your installed is like a crack dealer. He gets you to start upgrading knowing full well that it will lead you back to him - time and time again.

In most OEM systems, the speakers are the weakest link in the sound chain. Manufacturers go to great lengths to provide their vehicles with functional unit that are free of engine noise. The same can't always be said for even good aftermarket installs, even though they can't be matched for volume and frequency response.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aydu For This Useful Post:

Joshrcrow (04-28-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know, and he doesn't only work on sound systems but he also does rims and tinting so I have a feeling I'm going to put a substantial amount of money in this vehicle to get up to the par I want it to be at.
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    I have a feeling that your next move will be to upgrade those OEM speakers with some nice components. After a few weeks of this upgrade, you'll probably start wondering what things would sound like with a sub or two in the back.

Your installed is like a crack dealer. He gets you to start upgrading knowing full well that it will lead you back to him - time and time again.

In most OEM systems, the speakers are the weakest link in the sound chain. Manufacturers go to great lengths to provide their vehicles with functional unit that are free of engine noise. The same can't always be said for even good aftermarket installs, even though they can't be matched for volume and frequency response.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you have a frys nearby, they were offering that headunit with 4 pioneer 6.5" free for under 300$, I believe.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We don't have a Fry's where I am at, unfortunately. For the total set up (head unit, dash kit, and installation) I am paying about $650.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    If you have a frys nearby, they were offering that headunit with 4 pioneer 6.5" free for under 300$, I believe.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    LOL it will get stolen in no time at where I lives so .... keep it standard CD/MP3 player with no touch screen

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The oem speakers while containing an immense amount of excursion and relatively decent frequency response are only rated for 15 watts rms at 6ohms.
    You will have to push ANY headunit to get them to be really 'good' speakers.
    In my opinion as far as stock speakers are concerned I think the stock head unit will do the best damage. It and its amplifier were designed with those specific speakers in mind. I do not see you getting anything better with a head unit alone. The speakers will probably have to be changed. I haven't messed with my stereo because I intend to trade up my mirage eventually but that is my opinion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree. Speakers first, head unit second, amp third and sub 4th.

When you compare factory speakers with aftermarket - visually - you can easily see that the manufacturers generally put the least expensive component possible into the vehicle.

Sound wise, you can drive aftermarket speakers much harder than what comes with a new car from the factory.

When shopping for aftermarket speakers, it pays to be attentive to the efficiency rating of the speaker. A high efficiency rating will enable you to get more volume out of what ever wattage the factory head unit produces. That alone, can give many people what they are looking for, soundwise, without having to go with a new head unit or an amp.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Too bad I already have subs. LoL.

I usually buy a HU when I install my subs though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Makes connecting a sub much easier with the RCA sub outs on the aftermarket deck. Aftermarket decks usually provide some sort of bass management, to accommodate the subs.

I have the nav with the back-up camera and bluetooth integrated. I'm not going to toss that out, so my options are to get the sound quality I want from the stock deck.