Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Part Number

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    My point in sharing the comment made by someone was - Champion Laboratories makes filters for K & N, Mobil 1, AC Delco, Super Tech, STP & probably several more or less known names.

If you just search "who makes K & N oil filters", Champion Laboratories name comes up. Likewise, the warranty for Mobll 1 is handled by Champion Laboratories (like you just shared).

These various oil filters are not created the same, however. I'm sure Mobil 1 is one of the better ones! I like the fact that Mobil 1 pretty much offers one filter. The M1-110A has sort of replaced the M1-110, which makes sense. It would be silly to offer a 20,000 mile Mobil 1 synthetic oil without an oil filter to go with it.

Personally, none of these high mileage claims means anything to me. Recommended oil change intervals are 3,750 or 7,500 miles depending on your driving circumstances, & no oil or filter claim supersedes that.

If you like doing your shopping @ Walmart, the Mobil 1 and Fram Ultra Synthetic oil filters are probably the best two picks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    These oil filters are connected by another company.

The Mann+Hummel Group is a German manufacturing group headquartered in Ludwigsburg within the metropolitan area of Stuttgart. The company develops, produces and distributes liquid and air filter systems, intake systems and thermal management components. Additional products include powertrain and engine plastic components, such as manifolds, ducts and cylinder head covers with integrated functions for the automotive industry, and aftermarket filter elements for the maintenance and repair of motor vehicles under several brands (Mann-Filter, Wix Filters,[2] Filtron, Purolator).

Since Napa filters are connected with Wix, they would fall under this group of filters, too.

Oil filters are a little like car batteries. A couple companies make them, and they slap different labels on them. That doesn't mean they are made exactly the same, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My point in sharing the comment made by someone was - Champion Laboratories makes filters for K & N, Mobil 1, AC Delco, Super Tech, STP & probably several more or less known names.
    Ok. I get that, and said as much in my first post about Champion Labs. But do you have a link to the video?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Ok. I get that, and said as much in my first post about Champion Labs. But do you have a link to the video?
    The video link has nothing to do with who made the filter. It's about a guy cutting up oil filters and giving his opinion on them. There are a number of youtube.com clips like this.

If you want the link, go to youtube.com. Type in "oil filter comparison". "Who Makes The Best & Worst Oil Filter Made Today -13 Oil Filters Compared - Fram, Mobil 1, Wix" Personally, I don't think this is best comparison by any means. It's just one of many oil filter comparisons done on youtube.com These are just average Joes sharing their thoughts & nothing more.

People have a zillion opinions on oil filters. Some do look like they are made/constructed better than others. From what I have seen in clips like these, Mobil 1 & Royal Purple oil filters look like clones of each other. You can find the clip for that when doing the same search on youtube.com.

A Mobil 1 110 filter was their 15,000 mile filter, and the 110A is now their 20,000 mile filter. Keep in mind - you have to use the right oil & this doesn't trump the manufacturer's recommended intervals either.

I am using a 10,000 mile rated oil filter, and I change my oil/filter every 5,000 miles. It's probably not the best filter on the market, nor is it the worst.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    The video link has nothing to do with who made the filter. It's about a guy cutting up oil filters and giving his opinion on them.
    I understand and agree with much of what you are saying.

I wanted to find the comments you quoted in hopes of learning more from the person who worked there, that's all. Thanks anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Difference between oil filters

I couldn't find a more recent thread on the oil filters but I know there is one and a member claimed that there was a filter manufactured in Poland sold under the WIX brand in North America that had some type of bypass valve for improved cold/dry starts. Since NAPA filters are Wix, I tried both the NAPA 41356 and 47356. On my most recent oil change, I used the WIX 51356. The NAPA 41356 and WIX 51356 really do seem to almost entirely eliminate dry starts (though the WIX 51356 is made in Mexico, not Europe). I thought it might be the LucasOil additive I was using but it I'm positive it's the filter.

The Oreilly and NAPA sites will now show only the x7356 part numbers for the Mirage, not the x1356 but NAPA did show the NAPA Platinum 41356 as compatible back in 2018. The x1356 filters can be easily identified by the larger flow holes and more convex shape though the flow rate is identical to the specs of the x7356. The difference in startup is especially in pronounced if the engine hasn't been started in a couple days.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven Slow View Post
    I couldn't find a more recent thread on the oil filters but I know there is one and a member claimed that there was a filter manufactured in Poland sold under the WIX brand in North America that had some type of bypass valve for improved cold/dry starts.
    A bypass valve will open if an oil filter becomes clogged. It's a safety feature. Apparently, allowing dirty oil in the engine is better than starving it of oil. Almost all oil filters will have some type of bypass valve, but they can be different in design.

You are referring to an anti-drainback valve. A better quality filter will have one made of a silicone material, which withstands heat better & should last longer.

Most of today's oil filters will have an anti-drainback valve. Even a cheap Fram Extra Guard oil filter has one (see below) -

https://www.fram.com/products/consum...up-oil-filter/

I don't doubt that some anti-drainback valves may work better than others, and that may be related to the material they are made of.

Even thought the cheap Fram oil has a bypass valve, they don't point it out. It's called a precision relief valve on their more expensive filters like the Tough Guard & Ultra Synthetic, but even the Extra Guard has one.
    See below -

https://www.fram.com/products/consum...up-oil-filter/
    Last edited by Mark; 07-26-2020 at 01:46 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation. I know the stock Mitsubishi oil filter and both of the WIX x1356 and x7356 all have anti-drainback valves as they only drain once removed. I highly encourage other people to try the x1356 filters and note the difference in the first couple seconds of idling on startup compared to other filters. I think the difference will be even more pronounced in colder weather.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven Slow View Post
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for the explanation. I know the stock Mitsubishi oil filter and both of the WIX x1356 and x7356 all have anti-drainback valves as they only drain once removed. I highly encourage other people to try the x1356 filters and note the difference in the first couple seconds of idling on startup compared to other filters. I think the difference will be even more pronounced in colder weather.
    Some members feel start up have been better with aftermarket oil filters. This is how Mitsubishi describes their oil filters -

"Mitsubishi Genuine Value Line Oil Filters are designed with high efficiency and longer life with its new filter design. A pressure relief valve has been engineered to open when the filter becomes clogged so oil will still flow to the engine. Our Oil Filter opens at a higher pressure than aftermarket filters to prevent unnecessary unfiltered oil from entering the engine. Torque stopper seats filter at the appropriate position, eliminating under and over torqueing. Improving installation time and accuracy as well as making removal easier."

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owner...cts/oil-filter

If Mitsubishi is using a superior anti-drainback valve, they aren't sharing that. I haven't researched this extensively, however. Mitsubishi is making a big deal out of their bypass valves, but most oil filters have those.

Most oil filter have anti-drain valve these days. Even Fram recognizes the importance of this -

"A Silicone Rubber anti-drainback valve has over 3x the life of a Nitrile anti-drainback valve. FRAM uses a silicone ADBV on FRAM Tough Guard and FRAM Ultra filters, and switched to a silicone ADBV on Extra Guard filters in 2018 because of its superior performance."

https://www.fram.com/technical-information

As far as Wix oil filters go, Wix is owned by MANN + HUMMEL. I believe MANN + HUMMEL companies make decent products. These are their oil filter companies -

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/areas...roduct-brands/

I have used MANN + HUMMEL oil filters on my Mirage, but the are made in North Carolina by Purolator. Since I do 5,000 mile oil changes, I have been using their 10,000 mile Purolator ONE filter (medium price range). If I did longer oil change intervals, I would probably buy their BOSS oil filter.

Recently, Eggman pointed out that MANN + HUMMEL were now manufacturing Mobil 1 oil filters, too.

I suspect most oil filters have anti-drainback valves, but some may work better than others. I have not sense any issues with the Purolator ONE oil filter at any temperature. I happen to buy these over Wix, because they are available where I shop. I have Purolator filters on my compact diesel tractor, riding lawnmower, & UTV, too. I can buy filters for everything at one place, & I take advantage of that when they are on sale.

Overall, I think oil filters have improved in recent years. Even Fram has improved their products, & I like how they show their oil filter internals on their website. You can see an Ultra Synthetic is made differently (better).
    Last edited by Mark; 07-27-2020 at 04:20 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    A bypass valve will open if an oil filter becomes clogged. It's a safety feature. Apparently, allowing dirty oil in the engine is better than starving it of oil. Almost all oil filters will have some type of bypass valve, but they can be different in design.

You are referring to an anti-drainback valve. A better quality filter will have one made of a silicone material, which withstands heat better & should last longer.

Most of today's oil filters will have an anti-drainback valve. Even a cheap Fram Extra Guard oil filter has one. ..

@Mark and Driven slow:
    The bypass valve opens when the pressure difference before and after the filter material is too high. Typically at a pressure difference around 1 Bar or slightly higher. A filter in a standard situation with regular oil changes will become clogged beyond 100000miles or so. Clogging is not any concern at all if the filter is regularly changed with the oil.
    The bypass valve has an important second function which is often overlooked! When a cold engine starts with the oil drained back and air in the filter, the incoming cold oil has to pass through the filter paper. This presents a major resistance. Thus it takes some time before the oil channels are filled with pressurised oil. The starting engine exhibits a " cold start no oil rattle". With a bypass valve the pressure on the filter paper is relieved during cold start and that way the oil channels achieve a normal pressurised oil condition much earlier. In short, the bypass valve shortens the cold start rattle period by providing proper lubrication sooner. That's the chief function of a bypass valve.

The anti-drainback valve is actually a simple cover over the intake holes of the oil filter. There is a plethora of material and shapes. The best and most expensive material is PTFE, as in radial shaft seals. However, many filter makers simply use cheap rubber. Rubber becomes hard in the cold, deforms after being heated, and has much less flexibility. Rubber is no option, it is highly inferior for that purpose.

The best oil filters include all three features. Those being a PTFE anti drainback valve, a bypass valve, and the finest filter material as well. Since a finer filter material automatically has a higher flow-resistance, such filtersmust have the most efficient bypass and anti-drainback valves too. Just one of those features is no good and not enough, all have to be up to par, thats what making a good filter is all about.

You might want to look at this:

https://academy.filtron.eu/homepage/

Last edited by foama; 07-27-2020 at 06:58 AM.