Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Oil Filter Part Number

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The internals of a factory oil filter are not impressive (no metal end caps & no anti-drainback valve).
    That's an interesting statement Mark. Why do you think a metal end cap is superior, and compared to what - plastic? Both are glued to the filter media and isn't the glue is the weakest link?

Last edited by Eggman; 09-07-2020 at 11:46 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's an interesting statement Mark. Why do you think a metal end cap is superior, and compared to what - plastic? Both are glued to the filter media and isn't the glue is the weakest link?
    Some companies like Fram use cardboard end caps on their cheaper oil filters, which may be fine for the days of 3,000 mile oil changes. Most quality oil filters will use metal end caps.

The more interesting discovery is the lack of any anti-drainback valve in a factory oil filter. Some people go on & on about buying a quality oil filter with a silicone valve instead of a cheap rubber one, but the cars comes from the factory without one all together. Silicone valves withstand heat better, but I find it interesting a factory oil filter doesn't even have the valve.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Some companies like Fram use cardboard end caps on their cheaper oil filters, which may be fine for the days of 3,000 mile oil changes. Most quality oil filters will use metal end caps.
    Cardboard is bad? Isn't most filter media made of similar stuff like paper? It's understandable to not waste money on items that don't really contribute to a meaningful improvement. Some cardboard end caps don't hold up and deform, but does that happen to them all across the board?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Cardboard is bad? Isn't most filter media made of similar stuff like paper? It's understandable to not waste money on items that don't really contribute to a meaningful improvement. Some cardboard end caps don't hold up and deform, but does that happen to them all across the board?
    Since most expensive high mileage oil filters have metal end caps, I would assume metal end caps are an improvement. Selling a product with cheaper, inferior materials is most likely about profit for the company.

Most oil filter companies are producing multiple grades of oil filters for vehicles. Using Fram as an example, they would offer the following oil filter options for a Mirage -
    Extra Guard PH7317 = $3.88/filter ($7.76 for a twin pack @ Walmart)
    Tough Guard TG7317 = $6.82/filter (15,000 mile oil change interval oil filter these days)
    Ultra Synthetic XG7317 = $8.62/filter (20,000 mile oil change interval oil filter)

I haven't been using Fram oil filters on my Mirage, but I wouldn't hesitate to use a Tough Guard or Ultra Synthetic. The Ultra Synthetic oil filter may be one of the best values out there.

Since I do 5,000 mile oil/filter changes, a Tough Guard oil filter may be best for my application. If I am saving money by doing my own oil changes, however, paying an extra $1.80 for an Ultra Synthetic oil filter may seem worth it to me.

I have gotten off topic here. Did Mitsubishi design the engine of a Mirage for an oil filter without an anti-drainback valve, or are they just installing a cheap oil filter during assembly at the plant. I sort of lean towards the second theory. Pretty much all aftermarket oil filters will have an anti-drainback valve, and most companies these days are making a big deal of their higher quality silicone made valves.

Thus, when Mirage owners share their cold starts sound better (less engine rattle) after their first oil change, I speculate it may have to do with the addition of an anti-drainback valve rather than the type of synthetic oil added or the quality of the bypass valve in the new oil filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Driven Slow View Post
    If you've been using the 57356 or equivalent, you will notice a big improvement in cold starts with the 51356 and I think the 51356 does have the larger flow holes.
    I've been using the mz690072 for 5 years on 20-30 Mirage's(millions of miles) . I used the 51356 when I ran out of mitsu filters. The only time I hear loud start up noise is the first start up after an oil change. Some cars rattle for a second or 3.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've been using the mz690072 for 5 years on 20-30 Mirage's(millions of miles) .
    These are what I run most of the time. A compression check at about 93k revealed an engine with near factory compression, so they must be good enough, right? I bought a case of them a couple years ago and finally ran out of them earlier this year, so the last couple oil changes have been done with Fram Ultras.

I have five more MZ690072s arriving TODAY, as a matter of fact. At 156k, I can report no problems.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-08-2020)