Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Part Number

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    @Mark and Driven slow:
    The bypass valve opens when the pressure difference before and after the filter material is too high. Typically at a pressure difference around 1 Bar or slightly higher. A filter in a standard situation with regular oil changes will become clogged beyond 100000miles or so. Clogging is not any concern at all if the filter is regularly changed with the oil.
    The bypass valve has an important second function which is often overlooked! When a cold engine starts with the oil drained back and air in the filter, the incoming cold oil has to pass through the filter paper. This presents a major resistance. Thus it takes some time before the oil channels are filled with pressurised oil. The starting engine exhibits a " cold start no oil rattle". With a bypass valve the pressure on the filter paper is relieved during cold start and that way the oil channels achieve a normal pressurised oil condition much earlier. In short, the bypass valve shortens the cold start rattle period by providing proper lubrication sooner. That's the chief function of a bypass valve.

The anti-drainback valve is actually a simple cover over the intake holes of the oil filter. There is a plethora of material and shapes. The best and most expensive material is PTFE, as in radial shaft seals. However, many filter makers simply use cheap rubber. Rubber becomes hard in the cold, deforms after being heated, and has much less flexibility. Rubber is no option, it is highly inferior for that purpose.

The best oil filters include all three features. Those being a PTFE anti drainback valve, a bypass valve, and the finest filter material as well. Since a finer filter material automatically has a higher flow-resistance, such filtersmust have the most efficient bypass and anti-drainback valves too. Just one of those features is no good and not enough, all have to be up to par, thats what making a good filter is all about.

You might want to look at this:

https://academy.filtron.eu/homepage/
    I agree that the filter material, anti-drainback valve, & bypass valve are the three most important parts of an oil filter. Most manufacturers emphasize the importance of the anti-drainback valve for cold starts.

I'm not sure how much 0W-20 oil is blowing past the bypass valve during cold starts, unless temperatures are really low?

https://filtron.eu/en/about-us/tips-...%20the%20valve).

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I'm not sure how much 0W-20 oil is blowing past the bypass valve during cold starts, unless temperatures are really low?
    Don't know either, but in any case at real low temperatures 0W/20 is the best possible option.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I must have to be contented w/ using filter w/ silicone ADBV and nitrile gasket as I can't find one that has PTFE like Filtron. Buying it through Amazon(UK) would not be cheap.

I've purchased Fram Ultra Synthetic And Purolator Boss filters at Amazon (US) instead.

We bought more filters from the stealership today. I've been using the MZ690072 from new. When we order filters from Mitsu we ask for filters for the Mirage, they give us the same ones all the time. Now they say we've been ordering the wrong filters.. They are retarded. They sent over a box of 1230A105 filters. The same ones that come from factory without the antidrainback valve....
    I went to wixfilters.com and cross referenced the 1230a105 and came up with a 51083. The 51083 will not fit the Mirage.
    I look up filter by application on rock auto and wix, they call for a 57356.
    If I look up the mz690072 on the mitsuparts warehouse site they say it doesn't fit the Mirage. That site list's both MD360935 and 1230a105. The Md360935 cross references on the wix site to a 51356. The 51356 and 57356 are identical in size and both fit. I forget what the difference is, the size of the holes maybe?

I may have to rephrase most of that^so it makes sense.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    We bought more filters from the stealership today. I've been using the MZ690072 from new. When we order filters from Mitsu we ask for filters for the Mirage, they give us the same ones all the time. Now they say we've been ordering the wrong filters.. They are retarded. They sent over a box of 1230A105 filters. The same ones that come from factory without the antidrainback valve....
    I went to wixfilters.com and cross referenced the 1230a105 and came up with a 51083. The 51083 will not fit the Mirage.
    I look up filter by application on rock auto and wix, they call for a 57356.
    If I look up the mz690072 on the mitsuparts warehouse site they say it doesn't fit the Mirage. That site list's both MD360935 and 1230a105. The Md360935 cross references on the wix site to a 51356. The 51356 and 57356 are identical in size and both fit. I forget what the difference is, the size of the holes maybe?

I may have to rephrase most of that^so it makes sense.
    This is sort of an odd discussion, because most Mitsubishi vehicles take the same oil filter according to WIX. When I look up a Mirage oil filter on the WIX site, I can also see what vehicles use the same filter (57356 & 57356XP). All of these vehicles are listed for their 57356/57356XP oil filter. I copied & pasted from their website below.

MITSUBISHI Eclipse Cross 2018 - 2019 L4 1.5L 1500CC 92CID
    MITSUBISHI L200 2008 - 2017 L4 2.4 2400cc
    MITSUBISHI LANCER 2014 - 2017 L4 2.0L 1998cc 122 CID
    MITSUBISHI MIRAGE 2014 - 2020 L3 1.2L 1193cc 73 CID
    MITSUBISHI Mirage G4 2017 - 2020 L3 1.2L 1193cc 73 CID
    MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER 2014 - 2020 L4 2.4L 2360cc 144 CID
    MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER 2009 - 2020 V6 3.0L 2998cc 182 CID
    MITSUBISHI Outlander PHEV 2018 - 2020 L4 2.0L 1997cc
    MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER SPORT 2011 - 2020 L4 2.0L 1998cc 122 CID
    MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER SPORT 2016 - 2020 L4 2.4L 2360cc 144 CID

Several Acura, Honda, Infiniti, & Nissan vehicles use this same filter, too! A few Mirage owners own an Outlander Sport, & I would assume they buy the same oil filters for both vehicles.

Since their entire lineup basically uses the same oil filter, it seems very odd that a Mitsubishi dealership would get it wrong or be confused?????

Or this just confirms this particular Mitsubishi dealership is retarded (like Fummins clearly stated).

If I were you, I would asked them what filter fits another type type of vehicle like an Outlander or Outlander Sport. If you look at the list, it doesn't even matter what engine it is. Mitsubishi's 1.2L, 1.5L, 2.0L, 2.4L, & 3.0L engines all use the SAME oil filter.

Cobrajet & you discussed this before (posts # 5 & 6), but not sure any real conclusions were made -

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...actory-filter)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    This is sort of an odd discussion, because most Mitsubishi vehicles take the same oil filter according to WIX. When I look up a Mirage oil filter on the WIX site, I can also see what vehicles use the same filter (57356 & 57356XP). All of these vehicles are listed for their 57356/57356XP oil filter. I copied & pasted from their website below.

MITSUBISHI Eclipse Cross 2018 - 2019 L4 1.5L 1500CC 92CID
    MITSUBISHI L200 2008 - 2017 L4 2.4 2400cc
    MITSUBISHI LANCER 2014 - 2017 L4 2.0L 1998cc 122 CID
    MITSUBISHI MIRAGE 2014 - 2020 L3 1.2L 1193cc 73 CID
    MITSUBISHI Mirage G4 2017 - 2020 L3 1.2L 1193cc 73 CID
    MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER 2014 - 2020 L4 2.4L 2360cc 144 CID
    MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER 2009 - 2020 V6 3.0L 2998cc 182 CID
    MITSUBISHI Outlander PHEV 2018 - 2020 L4 2.0L 1997cc
    MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER SPORT 2011 - 2020 L4 2.0L 1998cc 122 CID
    MITSUBISHI OUTLANDER SPORT 2016 - 2020 L4 2.4L 2360cc 144 CID

Several Acura, Honda, Infiniti, & Nissan vehicles use this same filter, too! A few Mirage owners own an Outlander Sport, & I would assume they buy the same oil filters for both vehicles.

Since their entire lineup basically uses the same oil filter, it seems very odd that a Mitsubishi dealership would get it wrong or be confused?????

Or this just confirms this particular Mitsubishi dealership is retarded (like Fummins clearly stated).

If I were you, I would asked them what filter fits another type type of vehicle like an Outlander or Outlander Sport. If you look at the list, it doesn't even matter what engine it is. Mitsubishi's 1.2L, 1.5L, 2.0L, 2.4L, & 3.0L engines all use the SAME oil filter.

Cobrajet & you discussed this before (posts # 5 & 6), but not sure any real conclusions were made -

You are correct, they all can use the same filter. I use the oversized Baldwin B1431 in my Mirage and my Outlander Sport.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-02-2020),Mark (09-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The 51356 and 57356 are identical in size and both fit. I forget what the difference is, the size of the holes maybe?
    If you've been using the 57356 or equivalent, you will notice a big improvement in cold starts with the 51356 and I think the 51356 does have the larger flow holes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven Slow View Post
    If you've been using the 57356 or equivalent, you will notice a big improvement in cold starts with the 51356 and I think the 51356 does have the larger flow holes.
    This is good to know. Any thoughts as to how and why cold starts are improved? And can you compare it against any filters other than the 57356?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is good to know. Any thoughts as to how and why cold starts are improved? And can you compare it against any filters other than the 57356?
    Foama offered a great explanation earlier in this thread: "The bypass valve has an important second function which is often overlooked! When a cold engine starts with the oil drained back and air in the filter, the incoming cold oil has to pass through the filter paper. This presents a major resistance. Thus it takes some time before the oil channels are filled with pressurised oil. The starting engine exhibits a " cold start no oil rattle". With a bypass valve the pressure on the filter paper is relieved during cold start and that way the oil channels achieve a normal pressurised oil condition much earlier. In short, the bypass valve shortens the cold start rattle period by providing proper lubrication sooner. That's the chief function of a bypass valve."

Unfortunately, I only started changing the oil myself for the last 20,000 miles so I've only tried the WIX and NAPA (still WIX) 41356/51356 and 47356/57356 filters.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Driven Slow View Post
    Foama offered a great explanation earlier in this thread: "The bypass valve has an important second function which is often overlooked! When a cold engine starts with the oil drained back and air in the filter, the incoming cold oil has to pass through the filter paper. This presents a major resistance. Thus it takes some time before the oil channels are filled with pressurised oil. The starting engine exhibits a " cold start no oil rattle". With a bypass valve the pressure on the filter paper is relieved during cold start and that way the oil channels achieve a normal pressurised oil condition much earlier. In short, the bypass valve shortens the cold start rattle period by providing proper lubrication sooner. That's the chief function of a bypass valve."

Unfortunately, I only started changing the oil myself for the last 20,000 miles so I've only tried the WIX and NAPA (still WIX) 41356/51356 and 47356/57356 filters.
    Most oil filters have a bypass valve. I won't argue that the bypass valve opens if the filter becomes clogged or the oil is too thick to flow properly. It those things happen, unfiltered oil will be allowed to pass through the filter. Dirty oil is better than not enough oil.

Bypass valves and anti-drainback valves are two separate items. I don't think the issue with a Mitsubishi factory oil filter is the bypass valve. The issue is the anti-drainback valve.

This former thread below points out that the factory oil filter doesn't have an anti-drainback valve. If you look at the pic in post #1 below, you see the parts of a bypass valve. You don't see, however, an anti-drainback valve.

Not all oil filters have anti-drainback valves apparently. So what does that mean?

"Many modern oil filter canisters have inbuilt anti drain back valves which serve two important functions. The first is: if the canister is mounted side-on or at a slight angle. It helps avoid any air that may be in the system getting trapped in filters mounted in such a way. By not allowing the oil to drain back to the sump air cannot be drawn into the system. Trapped air can cause an air lock effecting the filters operation. Also any trapped air can also be pushed through the system causing moments of dry wear. Dry wear is when moving parts rub against each other without oil present, this is how particles can be introduced into the system and damage can be caused such as seizing.

The second function is simply to stop the oil from completely draining from the engine when it’s not running. This means that from the moment that you start your engine it is lubricated which helps prevent a cold start causing dry wear and tear as previously mentioned.

It is important that if the OEM filters do contain an anti drain back valve that you use the correct aftermarket product. At Sterling Filtration we have an extensive cross referencing service to make sure that you get a specification-correct alternative rather than simply a will fit option."

Many members feel starts sound better after the factory filter has been replaced. It may be a case of going from an oil filter without an anti-drainback valve to one that has one. I suspect most decent oil filters will be better than the factory oil filter on the Mirage. The internals of a factory oil filter are not impressive (no metal end caps & no anti-drainback valve).