Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Part Number

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    'bout to do my 2nd oil change. Just need clarification: what makes Fram your least preference?
    It is my least preference mainly because 1) they have been reported to have one of the slowest flow rates - this may cause extra wear on startup from lack of oil, and 2) I could not locate any warranty information on Fram filters. Others like Wix, Mobil, etc. clearly stated that they would cover engine damage if their filter caused it.

Otherwise, the Fram Tough Guard is good for shorter oil change intervals, with semi-synthetic material, but with fiber end caps. The Ultra is much better with two layers of fully synthetic material and metal end caps, and is great for extended (1yr) oil change intervals ... and is one of the best filters out there, not considering the flow rate and warranty.

I'd rather go with a Wix, which has a clear warranty, a much better flow rate and very good performance in filtering, and the company has a consistent reputation for solidly-constructed filters. Since I'm also going with a shorter oil change interval anyways (severe duty 3,750mi/3mo), it makes no sense for me to go for the Fram TG or play extra for the Ultra.

Just my preferences.

Last edited by cookiemonster; 08-26-2014 at 02:56 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage factory filter alongside a Mobil 1 for comparison....

.Have a good day!
    ~CrazyJerry

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrazyJerry For This Useful Post:

Daox (08-28-2014),Eggman (03-16-2017),Wayne (06-18-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the side-by-side pics, CrazyJerry! The Mobil1 filter's gasket looks more substantial, at first glance. Are you planning on opening them up?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Thanks for the side-by-side pics, CrazyJerry! The Mobil1 filter's gasket looks more substantial, at first glance. Are you planning on opening them up?
    You're welcome cookiemonster! Not planning on opening them up - just yet. I gotta get some use out of the Mobil 1 then I'll attack it with vigor!
    ~CrazyJerry

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wait a sec, M1-108? I have M1-110 installed on the car. Does this mean we can add M1-108 to the list for compatible oil filters?

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Besides the pricey Mobil 1 filter, do you know of any others that fit the Mirage that have the Anti Drain Back Valve feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Fram filter dissection reveals cardboard endcaps (easily youtube-able). I'm sure it'll work OK, they're obviously just not the most well constructed. Judging from that, I doubt the filter media is top rate either. Never thought to check since Fram did not fall under my considerations, but you may also want to check to see if it has Anti Drain Back Valve feature. Our oil filters go threads down, so for me, this is important.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Besides the pricey Mobil 1 filter, do you know of any others that fit the Mirage that have the Anti Drain Back Valve feature?
    Not off the top of my head. However, anti-drain back valve is certainly not something exclusive to Mobil1 filters and can most certainly be easily found on other brands. Just look at the features listed for that particular filter you are interested in, and see if ADBV is mentioned. You may have to do an internet search to see it's full features though because I have seen oil filter boxes with very little/incomplete information. With that said, I don't even remember if ADBV was mentioned on the Mobil1 filter box, but I knew it had it because I researched the filter before buying it at Autozone.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What about the Fram PH7317? Advance Auto Parts lists it as compatible, although it's about 1/2 inch higher than the OEM filter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by R01k View Post
    What about the Fram PH7317? Advance Auto Parts lists it as compatible, although it's about 1/2 inch higher than the OEM filter.
    All of Fram's 7317 line should fit.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    OVERVIEW OF SUITABLE OIL FILTERS, THESE BEING READILY AVAILABLE IN EUROPE:

FILTRON OP575

MANN: W610/3

Bosch: 0 986 452 041

Fram: PH5949

Hengst: H97W05

Knecht / Mahle: OC196

Purflux: LS910

All of these have anti-drain feature, plus bypass feature as well.

A 65mm x 14 cap fits all of these listed, and the cap is the preferred means of removal in our cars.

I don't have any personal preference here, they are all undoubtedly excellent, well-reputed OEM quality.

Last edited by foama; 01-09-2021 at 07:02 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-04-2015)