Thread: Video: Mitsubishi USA's "Extreme MPG Mirage hypermiling contest"

Video: Mitsubishi USA's "Extreme MPG Mirage hypermiling contest"

Published on Apr 24, 2014

Three seasoned automotive journalists were pitted against each other to see who could get the highest MPG driving from Las Vegas to LA in the 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. They were also racing for a cash prize to be donated to a charity of their choice. Participants included Aaron Gold of About.com, Mike Austin of Popular Mechanics, and Joni Gray of Autobytel.

As part of the rules for the event, the participants were only allowed to make very minor modifications to their cars from production form. All of the participants opted to try to reduce aerodynamic drag by taping over the gaps between the hood and the fenders, along with covering up sections on their vehicle's front fascia to varying degrees.

Aaron Gold of About.com, with an astounding fuel efficiency of 74.1 mpg driving his Kiwi Green 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage, finished with the highest MPG in the Mitsubishi Motors Extreme MPG Hypermiling Challenge. Following Aaron in the 275-mile trek from Las Vegas, Nevada to the Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) headquarters in Cypress, California was Mike Austin from Popular Mechanics in his Plasma Purple Mirage and Joni Gray of Autobytel in her Sapphire Blue Mirage. Amazingly, both Mike and Joni tied with an average fuel economy rating of 68.5 mpg.

Aaron Gold's charity -- the National Multiple Sclerosis Society -- was awarded the top prize of $1500. Driving on behalf of the Wounded Warrior Project, Mike Austin earned the veterans service organization an award of $500, with Joni Gray's charity, TJ's Dream Team, scoring $500 to benefit brain cancer research.

To see more photos from the event, visit the Mitsubishi Facebook Page: www.facebook.com/Mitsubishi

The original video is no longer available but Keene Mitsubishi has this version up on their channel:

Last edited by Eggman; 11-21-2020 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added video

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Updated original post with another video - presumably the same video but on the Keene Mitsubishi Youtube channel. Thanks Keene Mitsubishi!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My personal best MPG on my 2014 ES manual was 4.2 L/100 km's on Mackinac bridge years ago. I think that's around 57 mpg.

I like that the one reviewer said the 3 colourful Mirages look like little skittles on the road lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like how they said they "taped up the front ends" when they really didn't need to because the design was so well done. That shows Mitsubishi's quality to MPG among other things.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-21-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wondered if that is all they did to get 74 MPG. They were driving pretty slow along the right lane of the freeway from the looks of it. Panning for gold at a roadside attraction.. did they tweak their engines, or have the 1.0 L Mirage somehow? I never see numbers like they got in their car in nearly 7 years of Mirage ownership.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems like it+premium fuel? Yeah I barely get 50mpg on a good day so something seems off too me. The 3 skittles haha.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Not sure if they used manuals or CVTs but I’m not surprised at those results especially in a hot desert. Plus there is a 1700’ drop in elevation from Las Vegas to LA. Air up the tires and coast the whole way down haha.

We need Mirage Forum members to beat these numbers and post their results here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (11-21-2020)