Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test-drive Space Star 1.2 CVT

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

Test-drive Space Star 1.2 CVT

This morning I have test-driven the 1.2 CVT. That was a very pleasant experience. The three-cylinder engine has a charming 'thrum', but there is enough oompf. More than enough: a little female voice, originating from the sat-nav, told me "You are driving too fast" several times. Oops!

The handling was smooth and the Space Star even showed a feature that was not mentioned in the brochure: daytime running lights. The colour of the car was not exactly my taste, it was cosmos black.

I was unable to test the hill start assist. Why? Well.... this country is as flat as a pancake. The reverse camera is quite present on the back of the car, I hope it will not be vandalized.

My overall impression is favourable. I liked the Space Star so much, that I signed on the dotted line. Yes! I ordered a 1.2 CVT in the colour starlight silver. There is one small problem, now I have to wait for three long months. The factory in Laem Chabang (Thailand) has to produce my car and then it has to travel all the way to the Netherlands by boat. The assembly line is capable of making 130.000 units a year, 28 per working hour. So it must be the journey across the globe that is so time-consuming.

Before I forget to mention this, there is NO front anti-roll bar fitted on the Dutch version, this seems to be an exclusive for the Australian market. Here is a photo to prove it

I can't say much about fuel consumption. I tried to keep the eco-meter happy and sometimes it showed me three green lights, a hopeful sign.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star 'Instyle' 1.2 automatic: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to talldino For This Useful Post:

Alpha_One (02-22-2013),asher (03-02-2013),Daox (02-20-2013),MetroMPG (02-22-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, congrats on your purchase! 3 months, dang. That seems like forever haha.

Can't wait to hear more about your car once it arrives.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanks Daox. Yes, 90 days, the count-down has started.
    Last edited by talldino; 02-20-2013 at 02:19 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star 'Instyle' 1.2 automatic: 48.5 mpg (US) ... 20.6 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 58.2 mpg (Imp)

talldino - congrats!!

I have a little black car, so I understand why you wouldn't want one. (I bought mine second hand, so didn't have much choice.) Black looks nice when it's clean, but it shows dirt sooner than any other colour (which is a pain, because I don't wash it often). Fortunately, being in Canada, it doesn't get scorching hot for too many weeks of the year (no air conditioning in mine).

Thanks for posting your impressions of the car.

I agree that reversing camera is odd. I read another review that criticized Mitsu for so obviously "tacking on" features like that, which make it apparent it was an afterthought. (The other example given was the middle seatbelt shoulder harness retractor for the rear seat.)

I've been reading reviews of the Mirage launch in New Zealand, where they only sell the CVT version of the car. I'd still choose the manual, but I think I'm coming around to the idea that the CVT may be enjoyable to drive too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hi MetroMPG,

Thanks. I can assure you that the CVT is VERY enjoyable to drive.

PS: I just noticed that I posted this report in the wrong section. Could you please move it to "members' reviews"?
    Last edited by talldino; 02-20-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Congratulations! The car has been a real hit... we Filipinos can almost swim across the ocean to reach the factory and we have a two month long waiting list on the car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanks Alpha One. Only 89 days before I can go to the dealership to see it!

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Congrats on ordering the new car Now you just have the looonnnng wait
    I am sure i can see the anti-rollbar in that pic.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hi jamiec,

You can? In that case I apologize for spreading misinformation! When my car has arrived (only 88 days now...) I'll have another peek.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am sure its there i could be wrong. On the left side of your pic there is a bar running second above the lower control arm it has a bend upwards.