Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirage trailer hitch/receiver: Curt 11394 Class 1; Draw-Tite 24916

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    So after a truck load of cussing and wasting time, I decided to take off the rear bumper.

Fellows, let me just say to you up front. If you're installing the hitch, just take off the bumper. Just friggin do it.

Preach.

Also, for the 4 bolts of the bumper structure, the 2 inside bolts have clever access holes through the bumper itself. No need for a wrench of you have 6+ inches of extension the inside bolts come out quickly with a ratchet.
    I also appreciated whichever engineer decided on that helpful feature.

I've taken the bumper cover off a Mirage 3 times now, so I know where the fasteners are, and it's a 5 minute job. Maybe 15 the first time?

Nice summary - thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I also appreciated whichever engineer decided on that helpful feature.
    Toyota would do stuff like that at every opportunity.

Before I would start a next vehicle (seat) project, we would tear down the next best customer's competitor vehicle (completely. Rent it, tear it down, put it back together, take it back). Engineers had to attend the tear down. The purpose was to look for clever little ideas that we had not seen before. Point being, I'd say all oems do this and they learn from each other. So that series of holes through the bumper is likely something they saw on a competitor vehicle. It is clever.
    Last edited by 7milesout; 07-27-2021 at 08:43 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    So I removed the plastic bumper cover and crash bar. It's a quick, simple process - only takes about 10 minutes. And it uncovers an access hole at the end of the frame rails that the bolts are inside.

Attachment 21087
    I picked up a slightly used Mirage Curt 11493 hitch yesterday. I most likely will never tow with my Mirage. I have a nice rear hitch bike rack that I would like to be able to attach/use at times.

This is the attachment hardware that I have -
    2 - 1.5" carriage bolts, nuts, & rectangular backing plates that go inside the car frame.
    1 - U-bolt and 2 nuts.

This is what I am missing -
    2 - 1.5" carriage bolts, nuts, & rectangular backing plates that go inside the car frame. Need 4 to attach hitch.
    4- fish wires.

Fish wires - Home Depot & Walmart seems to sell those individually on line.
    Carriage bolts & nuts - Those are a non-issue. I can pick those up at any hardware store.

Rectangular backing plates - Suggestions by anyone???

I found something that would work made for marine docks, but they are for 1/2" carriage bolts. I believe they may be too large.

https://www.dockboxes.com/dock-hardw...-backing-plate

Plan A
    If I could find an alternative backing plate for inside the frame, I would just buy the two missing carriage bolts/nuts and order the fish wires.

Plan B
    If I take off the rear bumper -
    Do I still need the fish wires?
    Would I be able to use the two existing carriage bolts/nuts/backing plates I have for the front holes, & could I use two normal 3/8" bolts for the rear ones? Would I be able to reach the heads of the bolts with open end wrench on the two rear bolts?

I am hoping those of you that have taken the rear bumper off can help me out. I don't want to take the bumper off & later find out that I don't have the parts to complete the job.

Plan C
    Would be ordering a Curt hitch hardware kit from Camping World (approximately $30). Etrailer.com wants $68 for a Curt hardware kit. Hardware kits would include the fish wires.

The lack of two backing plates for inside the frame is my real hold up. Years ago, they welded a short metal rod on top of the heads of bolts for hitches. They were a bit more difficult to fish through the frame. I wish that I could find some type of carriage bolt backing plate (even if I had to cut it down to size).

If can reach the head of the bolts with a wrench (without the bumper on), I would consider going that route, too!

Thanks for any input on this!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah JT View Post
    I don't understand, in my owners manua, it states do not tow with this vehicle? Yet other countries they allow it?
    In this country a tow hitch, even without towing, would get you in jail.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    In this country a tow hitch, even without towing, would get you in jail.
    That's not an issue here.

I've never had a vehicle inspected, & I have been driving since the 1970s. I have zero concerns about adding a hitch! Most vehicles I have owned have had a hitch installed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I picked up a slightly used Mirage Curt 11493 hitch yesterday. I most likely will never tow with my Mirage. I have a nice rear hitch bike rack that I would like to be able to attach/use at times.

This is the attachment hardware that I have -
    2 - 1.5" carriage bolts, nuts, & rectangular backing plates that go inside the car frame.
    1 - U-bolt and 2 nuts.

This is what I am missing -
    2 - 1.5" carriage bolts, nuts, & rectangular backing plates that go inside the car frame. Need 4 to attach hitch.
    4- fish wires.

Fish wires - Home Depot & Walmart seems to sell those individually on line.
    Carriage bolts & nuts - Those are a non-issue. I can pick those up at any hardware store.

Rectangular backing plates - Suggestions by anyone???
    I couldn't find anything in a quick search. Unfortunately buying the hardware kit from Curt may be the best bet.

I found something that would work made for marine docks, but they are for 1/2" carriage bolts. I believe they may be too large.

https://www.dockboxes.com/dock-hardw...-backing-plate
    Actually, those may work, but it is hard to say just from a picture.

Plan A
    If I could find an alternative backing plate for inside the frame, I would just buy the two missing carriage bolts/nuts and order the fish wires.
    If you can find alternative backing plates, this may work.

Plan B
    If I take off the rear bumper -
    Just friggin' do it! Don't even bother otherwise, my opinion.

Do I still need the fish wires?
    Would I be able to use the two existing carriage bolts/nuts/backing plates I have for the front holes, & could I use two normal 3/8" bolts for the rear ones? Would I be able to reach the heads of the bolts with open end wrench on the two rear bolts?
    I am hoping those of you that have taken the rear bumper off can help me out. I don't want to take the bumper off & later find out that I don't have the parts to complete the job.
    Still need the fish wires? At least for the front two, I'd say yes. The rear two, maybe not with the bumper structure removed.

You would not want to use 2 normal 3/8 bolts in any event. That steel structure is thin, maybe 0.030" to 0.040". Although it is likely sandwiched/stacked in that area. You may rip through the material without a backing plate, and ... the backing plate has square holes for the carriage bolts so that the carriage bolts do not rotate once the torque is applied. You may not get good torque on a regular bolt (without a backing plate) as it may just spin and no way to hold the head from spinning in that location.

Plan C
    Would be ordering a Curt hitch hardware kit from Camping World (approximately $30). Etrailer.com wants $68 for a Curt hardware kit. Hardware kits would include the fish wires.

The lack of two backing plates for inside the frame is my real hold up. Years ago, they welded a short metal rod on top of the heads of bolts for hitches. They were a bit more difficult to fish through the frame. I wish that I could find some type of carriage bolt backing plate (even if I had to cut it down to size).

If can reach the head of the bolts with a wrench (without the bumper on), I would consider going that route, too!

Thanks for any input on this!
    Getting the hardware kit is your best bet. As is removing the bumper structure. The original carriage bolts (as I remember) have mushroom shaped heads. Even if you can reach them, you would have no way to grip them. Hence the value of the backing plates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I couldn't find anything in a quick search. Unfortunately buying the hardware kit from Curt may be the best bet.

Actually, those may work, but it is hard to say just from a picture.

If you can find alternative backing plates, this may work.

Just friggin' do it! Don't even bother otherwise, my opinion.

Still need the fish wires? At least for the front two, I'd say yes. The rear two, maybe not with the bumper structure removed.

You would not want to use 2 normal 3/8 bolts in any event. That steel structure is thin, maybe 0.030" to 0.040". Although it is likely sandwiched/stacked in that area. You may rip through the material without a backing plate, and ... the backing plate has square holes for the carriage bolts so that the carriage bolts do not rotate once the torque is applied. You may not get good torque on a regular bolt (without a backing plate) as it may just spin and no way to hold the head from spinning in that location.

Getting the hardware kit is your best bet. As is removing the bumper structure. The original carriage bolts (as I remember) have mushroom shaped heads. Even if you can reach them, you would have no way to grip them. Hence the value of the backing plates.
    I appreciate the input.

Mushroom shaped head bolts are called carriage bolts. You can buy carriage bolts at any hardware store. They are typically used on equipment (farm machinery), & the equipment is designed for them. You put the carriage bolt in place and only need to wrench the nut end.

I would use a washer on a normal 3/8" machine bolt head. I understand the logic of the small rectangular backing plates. They hold the carriage bolts in place when you tighten the nuts down. That's why I asked if a wrench could be slipped on top of it with the bumper removed.

Years ago, they didn't use carriage bolts with small rectangular backing plates. They sent you bolts with short rods welded across the top of the head of machine bolt. This did the same thing. It kept the bolt from spinning in the frame, & it allowed you to tighten the nuts/hitch down.

Buying two carriage bolts is no big deal. Home Depot & Walmart sell the fish wires, but they come at some cost, too.

The small rectangular backing plates are the only hold up.

It helps to know the fish wires are necessary to do the job regardless. I am going to visit my local hardware store today, & see what I can come up with. If I can't really find what I need, I will just order the Curt hardware kit through Camping World. Regardless, I would be spending some money either way. It may be easier to just buy the kit from Camping World.

Thanks for your reply!
    Last edited by Mark; 07-29-2021 at 04:15 PM.

I would use a washer on a normal 3/8" machine bolt head. I understand the logic of the small rectangular backing plates. They hold the carriage bolts in place when you tighten the nuts down. That's why I asked if a wrench could be slipped on top of it with the bumper removed.
    I don't think the hole (normally covered by the bumper cover & bumper bar) to access inside the boxed "frame rails" is big enough to get a wrench inside with any wiggle room. I'm guessing it's an inch in diameter.

Years ago, they didn't use carriage bolts with small rectangular backing plates. They sent you bolts with short rods welded across the top of the head of machine bolt. This did the same thing. It kept the bolt from spinning in the frame, & it allowed you to tighten the nuts/hitch down.
    I've seen this also.

So, Plan D:

Weld a short bar to the head of a bolt?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey Mark, go to your local electrical supply and ask for Unistrut hardware. Look up ‘channel nut’ for an example. They also have thick square washers. If you explain your situation, they may find just the right piece for you.
    Last edited by Eggman; 07-29-2021 at 07:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Mark, go to your local electrical supply and ask for Unistrut hardware. Look up ‘channel nut’ for an example. They also have thick square washers. If you explain your situation, they may find just the right piece for you.
    Thanks! I may be at the mercy of Curt or someone who sells their hitches.

The carriage bolts are 7/16" x 1.5", & they are grade 8 bolts. I could find that size in grade 2 @ ACE Hardware, but no grade 5 or grade 8 carriage bolts in that size. I could order these bolts, but then I am paying shipping & still don't have everything I need.

I sent an email to Curt requesting the missing parts. If they can't help me directly, I asked who I can order them through. I may be stuck ordering a Curt hardware kit, and that's ok, too.

This was my request below -

I need the following items to complete the installation of my Curt 11394 hitch to my 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage -

Two - 10-10282 7/16-14 grade 8 1.5" bolts
    Two - 20-00103 7/16-14 grade 8 nuts
    Two - CM-SP2 square bolt spacers .250x.88x2.25"
    Four - 7_16 FISHWIRE 7/16" fish wire

I have the other items. I have two of the above bolt/nuts/bolt spacers & the U-bolt with nuts.

Can I order these missing parts directly from you? If not, please indicate who may be able to help me.

Thanks!

This is a list of the hardware from the owner's manual. I should have started here first!

ITEM QTY PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION for Curt 11394

4 20-00103 NUT,SER-FLANGE,7/16-14 UNC,GRD8,YZ
    4 10-10282 BOLT,CAR,7/16-14 UNC,1-1/2,GRD8,YZ
    4 CM-SP2 .250 x .88 x 2.25" SQUARE HOLE SPACER
    4 7_16 FISHWIRE 7/16" FISHWIRE
    1 10-10566 U-BOLT,3/8-16 UNC,1-9/16,N/A,ZP
    2 20-00102 NUT,SER-FLANGE,3/8-16 UNC,GRD8,YZ

The 4 fish wires alone would cost about $11-13 from Walmart. I may have to order a complete Curt hardware kit, but I thought I would check out other options first. If I have to pay $30 @ Camping World, that's much better than $68 @ etrailer.com.

I'll see what Curt replies back & go from there (just order them through Camping World as my new plan B).