Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KBB review disparity .. Spark vs Mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

KBB review disparity .. Spark vs Mirage

I was checking out KBB's reviews and found the Mirage and Spark ... interesting way they described the two:

Spark vs Mirage
    * "low-cost vehicle" vs "cheapest new car" (Spark is "cheaper", but we wouldn't want the Spark to be described as "cheap", would we)
    * "39 mpg to top rivals" vs "44 peak highway rating"
    *"appealing enough .. to hold four passengers" vs "oddity .. no upward aspirations .. small 5-passenger hatchback"
    * "numbers appealing here .. sub $13,000 starting price" vs "you'll like the .. Mirage if you only care about saving money .. cheap .. cheap"
    * "The Spark's 83 horsepower from its tiny 1.2-liter engine may not sound like much, but" vs "The [Mirage's 74hp] engine is .. underpowered .."
    * "Fold the 60/40-split seats, and that space nearly triples." vs "split-folding rear seats come standard." (no mention of space)
    * "Navigation is now available through a smartphone-enabled app" vs "Given their likely frugal natures, Mirage buyers will probably just use their phones for navigation duties .. you can add navigation .. on a car that's so dang cheap"
    * "The 11.4-cubic feet of cargo room behind the rear seat isn't vast, but it's more than .." vs (no comment on the Mirage's 17.2-cubic feet cargo room)
    "there is enough room for four adults" vs "there's enough space for ... three [adults in the back] if things get desperate."
    * "Even a base Spark minicar comes with air conditioning" vs "strangely, automatic climate control all come standard on the base DE trim"
    * "Spark models use a 1.2-liter inline 4-cylinder engine that makes 84 horsepower" vs "Mirage is powered by a positively tiny 1.2-liter 3-cylinder engine."
    * "engine ... is enough to move .. around traffic" vs "acceleration is lackadaisical"
    * "Wind and road noise are apparent in the cabin" vs " the sounds that accompany it are an assault on the senses" (yet earlier in the Mirage's review, they also said "interior noise is largely kept in check" .. which is it KBB?)

I know that the two cars aren't completely equal in all respects, but is it just me or do I see a positive spin for the Spark and an equivalent negative spin for the Mirage?

Last edited by cookiemonster; 05-05-2014 at 03:45 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-05-2014),Minihaha (06-02-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yup definitely bullsh*t.

Drive the manual and you'll know there's more than enough power. Hell, I was outrunning an SUV yesterday. And yes, he was on WoT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Yup definitely bullsh*t.

Drive the manual and you'll know there's more than enough power. Hell, I was outrunning an SUV yesterday. And yes, he was on WoT.
    Agreed on both things.

I have to admit that I was disappointed by the CVT Mirage. The manual? Hoo boy, that's a whole different thing. Makes this little car so alive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep ... I forgot to mention, when the Mirage's page is brought up, a nice little popup shows up to state "The Mitsubishi Mirage is an exceedingly cheap little hatchback. Does it muster enough pleasantness to make that cheapness bearable?"

No such popups appear on the Spark's page!

"Cheap" is mentioned seven times on the Mirage's page ... not once on the Spark's page!

Definitely seems like a bias problem there. And yet Mirage owners are far more enthusiastic than Spark owners. Wonder why that is!

It's funny, the Mirage reviews seemed to start out reasonably level-headed in Canada & the U.S. but to me it feels like many of the later ones are harsh and lack perspective. Almost like there's a pile-on happening.

With some exceptions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "(Spark) a half full glass" vs. "(Mirage) a half empty glass"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes but with the Mirage, your 1/2 glass gets a better warranty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Yes but with the Mirage, your 1/2 glass gets a better warranty.
    I went to get my plates from the dealership yesterday, and dropped off several cards that I made for mirageforum.
    It's the only Mitsu dealership in town, and since I live in Texas Tech-Town it ought to help people really see the plus sides of driving a mirage.
    I talked with each sales agent regarding the site, and told them what all we do, and how there's an entire after-market that will eventually be hitting the U.S. and the card says "Mirageforum.com - Small car big rewards."
    On the back of them I'll eventually do a vinyl peel-able decal that says "40+ MPG Are U?"

My salesman couldn't believe that in the thousand miles I've driven this car I've only had to fill it four times (the most recent was the day I went to get the plates, and I was at 1080 miles.) He also took a few pictures of the car after we detailed the exterior since he liked the way the plastidip looked, and figured that showing college kids it can be done and we have a tutorial should help them be more persuaded to purchase the car. since it gives it a more refined and less "smart car" look.

All in all the day was a huge success, and hopefully we'll receive an influx of owners from the area.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dracconus For This Useful Post:

CheezyWedges (06-01-2014),kerc (05-07-2014),MetroMPG (05-07-2014),Mikhail (05-07-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We should do a Texas Mirage get-together.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm up for it if it's over a weekend.