Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am a cloud engineer at a 'big four' bank. Trying to save as much as possible to start my own venture some day or just early retirement. I do some other things on the side occasionally.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I am a cloud engineer at a 'big four' bank. Trying to save as much as possible to start my own venture some day or just early retirement. I do some other things on the side occasionally.
    Like sell weed?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Like sell weed?
    lol no. I run a few websites including an MMO. Sometimes I am active on ebay. It varies a lot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Like sell weed?

Dirk! LMAO! You got legal medical marijuana in Georgia yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Q:What do I do for a living?

A: studying to get my associates in General Studies, then move on to my bachelor's.

After graduating high school I didn't know what I wanted to go into... Really wish I would have kicked my butt in the gear and figure it out back then... Anyway started to go in IT but felt that wasn't for me and I couldn't get any of the material down... I loved working as a mechanic part-time but was not something that was sustainable for me at the time... started to see my friends and family members around me get their degrees early and was very depressed and went through very rough times... But have been working in a factory for the past two and a half years, where they offer to send me to school and pay for all my classes... And that's where I'm at now... I'm 24 and going to get my degree in a year and a half... Then after that continue to my Bachelor's... Also, anyone going back to school... I will tell you this one simple fact: IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!! Don't be like me and think "OHHH I'M TOO OLD OR NOT SMART ENOUGH" BECAUSE I'LL TELL YOU YOU'RE WORTH IT!!! It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you get your degree... DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT!... Keep pushing on toward your goal.

MirageRally
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-18-2021 at 01:13 AM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (12-28-2020),dragon2knight (12-28-2020),Mark (12-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Q:What do I do for a living?

A: studying to get my associates in Accounting then move on to my bachelor's, then after that get my CPA

After graduating high school I didn't know what I wanted to go into... Really wish I would have kicked my butt in the gear and figure it out back then... Anyway started to go in IT but felt that wasn't for me and I couldn't get any of the material down... I loved working as a mechanic part-time but was not something that was sustainable for me at the time... started to see my friends and family members around me get their degrees early and was very depressed and went through very rough times... But have been working in a factory for the past two and a half years, where they offer to send me to school and pay for all my classes... And that's where I'm at now... I'm 24 and going to get my degree in a year and a half... Then after that continue to my Bachelor's... Also, yes there is some math to it but not crazy levels and I love Accounting because it is a language... A language of Business and it ties so many things together and applies to real life...To any future Accountants or anyone going back to school... I will tell you this one simple fact: IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL!!! Don't be like me and think "OHHH I'M TOO OLD OR NOT SMART ENOUGH" BECAUSE I'LL TELL YOU YOU'RE WORTH IT!!! It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you get your degree... DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT!... Keep pushing on toward your goal.

MirageRally
    Good encouragement & advice!

I had a wise graduate school professor once tell our class that he didn't feel most people knew what they wanted to do with their life until the age of 26 or so. I thought that was pretty insightful. Some know what they want to do with their lives early on, but most don't.

Your workplace paying for classes is a really nice perk! As far as I am concerned, you're still a youngster!

I am 57, & I retired from education last spring (still doing driving lessons, however). I had gone to school as student, teacher, & school administrator ever fall since I was 5 years old. That's 52 years (for those not good with math)!

When I announced that I was retiring, I told everyone that I didn't want to go to school in the fall for a change. So what do I do? I enrolled in CDL truck driving school that started in early September. 3-week CDL truck driving school wasn't as big of a commitment, however. 3-weeks of CDL class in 2020 cost more than 2 full semesters of housing, meal plan, & tuition for a Wisconsin state school in the 1980s. Times have surely changed!

I totally agree with you! You're never too old to take on something new. College doesn't have to be for everyone, but it does open doors for some. I have an undergraduate degree & two graduate degrees, & I will be the first to admit college isn't for everyone! I would like to do something totally different part-time, & I think my CDL will open that door for me. I've been sort of sitting tight during the pandemic, and enjoying some time off. Plus, I still do the driving lessons part-time. I don't really have to work, but I have gone through a divorce (life setback). I would like to knock down my mortgage with another part-time job for a few more years.

You'll never regret getting your CPA. I encourage you to keep at it!!!!!

I don't remember ever posting in this thread before? If I did, they say the mind is the first to go!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-28-2020),MirageRally (12-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm a retired Chef/Baker/Manager in NYC. I worked for over 40 years doing this and boy am I glad to have retired!! I'm one of those folks who never needed college, or even a high school diploma for that matter, to succeed. That's a hard thing to do nowadays though and it seems the more education you have, the more in demand you are....pity as the labor field was a great way to make a living at one time...still could be if you find yourself in the right place at the right time working for the right folks. In the food industry 80 hour work weeks are the norm, but I did well, and earned the break I'm on now

Taking some time to travel around this country driving with my shiny new Mirage (with a huge break this past year of course....sigh....), it's a big place full of wonders that I'm looking forward to finding out more about.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

Basic (12-28-2020),MirageRally (12-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Commercial parts ordering

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon2knight View Post
    I'm one of those folks who never needed college, or even a high school diploma for that matter, to succeed. That's a hard thing to do nowadays though and it seems the more education you have, the more in demand you are....
    Yeah unfortunately a lot of places now won't hire you unless you have your Bachelor's. Next generation you're probably have to have your Master's just to get a job... The workplace has gotten so crazy... and you're only going to need more and more education, the more and more generations go by...
    Last edited by MirageRally; 01-18-2021 at 01:12 AM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (12-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Yeah unfortunately a lot of places now won't hire you unless you have your Bachelor's and some form of certificate like a CPA. Next generation you're probably have to have your Master's just to get a job... The workplace has gotten so crazy... and you're only going to need more and more education, the more and more generations go by...
    ...with more and more debt so they can control you better....best to just get the education needed to start your own business and go from there.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon2knight For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (12-28-2020)