Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes a car "fun to drive"?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

What makes a car "fun to drive"?

I see all these reviews stating how other cars like the Spark, etc. are much more "fun to drive", and the Mirage isn't.

What makes a car "fun to drive" for you? Is it all about power? design? handling? something else?

For me, a car is "fun to drive" when it has just enough power to get me where I need to go in reasonable comfort and safety, is efficient with resources (such as gas), and all the while pushes it limits (such as with a low hp 3cyl engine) when doing so. So, for me, the Mirage is immensely "fun to drive".

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I like the green wave and not being tail-gated, then it's fun to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's fun driving my 2014 Mirage because people give me that look, like what is that?
    I've yet to see another Mirage since buying mine three weeks ago so for most they're not sure what the hell I'm driving. Lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Definitely opinionated as I have fun driving fast in the Mirage, be it going through the gears, reaching triple digits, or going fast through curvy roads.

Now, I must admit, that going through curvy roads takes a little more "work" on my side as I have to compensate for the Mirage's suspension. Once coilovers, sway bars, and strut bars have been installed, I will probably not have to "work" too much on the corners.

Related to taking corners is the lack of any sign of understeer. The car is so light that the grip on the 165/65 tires is enough LoL. Only a handful of FWD cars can actually say that, which includes the Focus ST and Fiesta ST only because of Fords using the front brakes to help with. I honestly cant wait to track/autocross this car as I'll probably have my foot pinned on the gas, not worrying about braking.

Power is definitely "enough" on the 5spd Mirage. Of course, again, that is opinionated as people who drive supercars (i.e. Lambos, GTRs, Vipers) still mod them for more power. I say power is enough because depending on what RPM I shift, and how much gas I give it, I can actually go with the flow of traffic from the stop light. Sometimes, I'm even ahead of everyone else. Also, being able to pass on the freeway without having to downshift is a testimony of enough power.

Some may say that I'm just "justifying" my purchase... I think I'm telling the truth as I see it...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tossable, light. Being able to rev it up without fear of going ballistic and hitting another solid object. The Mirage has this, and about handling, squirting the gas when exiting turns will guide it nicely and pull it away even if it feels a bit of a handful. This car is fun.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fun for me is the combination of enjoying a full feature set on the car combined with easy driving manners.

It also helps to know that I'm having fun driving without having to pay a penalty at the gas pump.

My Mirage brings back fond memories of my '60's era bug, with a lot more comfort and convenience.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
    Tossable, light. Being able to rev it up without fear of going ballistic and hitting another solid object. The Mirage has this, and about handling, squirting the gas when exiting turns will guide it nicely and pull it away even if it feels a bit of a handful. This car is fun.
    Negative as I have found out that getting the entry speed right makes it possible for me to put some gas in EVEN BEFORE the apex. That's how light the car is - and the lack of understeer. The worst part is getting the rear to cooperate especially on uneven paved turns/curves. Not to mention hitting the rumble strips accidentally freaks the rear out.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I love my mirage cause it always feels on the edge. It is surprisingly torquey where it needs to be and a blast to throw into corners.

Cant wait to track it this summer

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Old, Cheap

Fun is knowing that if you wreck the car, you can afford to just walk away. My $200 Dodge Omni was fun, off road, jumps, it could do everything, as I was ready to just walk away if it was damaged. It never gave up, though.

Fun is also, for me, maneuverable. I like how my bike can explore and go places in the city my car cannot.

I also find open air fun - like a motorcycle. Maybe a convertible (I've never had one).

Maneuverability is nice, though not too exciting.

Outrageous speed can be fun, though of course very dangerous. What speed is too fast for the handling depends on the vehicle, of course. In that sense, go-karts are more fun for less danger than high performance cars.

Comparing the Yaris, Mazda2, Spark, Fit, and Mirage on "fun to drive" seems pointless. None of them are "fun to drive". All of them are useful for getting to fun places more often (as you have to spend less time at work to pay for them and the gas compared to bigger, more sporty rides).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Negative as I have found out that getting the entry speed right makes it possible for me to put some gas in EVEN BEFORE the apex.
    I gotta try that. For science, of course.