Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Considering a purchase - Current deals, CVT longevity?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    I just wouldn't push the engine & cvt to the redline if I ever load the car down to its limits while climbing or starting from a full stop.
    Interesting that you brought that up...

I was in the restroom a few days ago and had thought of this. I was told (or read here) that CVT equipped engines actually restrict RPMs to some low(er) number than engines with 5spd trannys.

I have only driven one vehicle with CVT and it was a nissan versa hatch. IIRC, no matter how much you press on the gas pedal, it always 'hovered' at 6k rpms (a few thousand rpms below redline).

With that said, the engine will NEVER give the transmission 100% power. Mostly because for some of these cars, peak power is made close to the redline. Now torque is a different issue as max torque usually hits mid rpm range.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I rented a nissan sentra, and going 80 down the highway it was around 1800 rpm. never seemed to get it pass 4000 rpm

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yes, peak torque is not necessarily achieved at the highest rpm ... but I don't know how much is or isn't restricted from the Mirage's CVT
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 05-14-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    That's sad that high speed continuous driving is frowned upon. Good thing I got a 5spd then.

Most, if not all automatics I've owned have a tranny oil cooler - or lines from the tranny that go to the bottom of the radiator. Does the CVT not have something similar?
    Not sure if the Mirage is equipped with the CVT cooler, but it's supposed to be. (Could anyone check? It is usually located behind the front fog light on the driver's side).
    The car will have no problem with overheating in normal condition if CVT is flushed regularly.

the video with 2009 Rouge: the car has 118k miles and it's highly probable that the owner hasn't flushed the CVT fluid. If he does, then the problem will disappear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ Which is why good maintenance is key for a happy car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ absolutely. If anyone is scared of the CVT, just don't be. The CVT is a good transmission, much more reliable than most of the automatics, you just need to know what you are dealing with.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Yes, peak torque is not necessarily achieved at the highest rpm ... but I don't know how much is or isn't restricted from the Mirage's CVT
    Just noticed this...

Although peak tq may be achieved mid range, peak HP is probably later in the rpm range... Takes two to tango.

Hey adrew -

Are you the same adrew who posted on VWvortex about the Mirage? I got a Google alert and read your test drive review over there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's me.

Bought a white ES yesterday, liking it so far!

Congrats.

Feel free to repost that review in our owner's reviews subforum. It was well thought out (your sig over there is accurate).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)