Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: H&R All the way from Germany!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ednevell View Post
    I am Kind of offended by this comment. I understand what a difference it will make. My reason is since I bought this lovely gem 6 weeks ago I have logged 3467 miles. I am bouncing down the freeway, bouncing down the street, bouncing over railroad tracks, bouncing even after I get out of the car. LOL

Not trying to Flame or cause an issue. I am trying to find anyway to stiffen up my mirage, the bouncing has a very close to uncontrollable feeling at freeway speeds. Add that to the ridiculous body roll and it gets hairy at times.

Just sayin!
    No need to be offended, ednevell. We're just as passionate as you are about out little cars. If you want to control bouncing, you want better dampers, or shock absorbers. Springs won't control that--actually a stiffer spring with soft shocks will be rather rattly.

Last edited by kerc; 05-20-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Bungled up user name. :D

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I will start by cross referencing the shocks we have and see what we can use in their place!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had stiff springs on OEM replacement struts on my old Aspire, and it worked out just fine for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I meant no offense ednevell! As a matter of fact i was responding to Ares's comment, and was a generalization and in no way pointed at you. Sincere apologies!

Believe you me, the number ONE thing i want to upgrade on this car is the suspension. And H&Rs with Bilstein dampners is hopefully how i will achieve it. Both company's are superb

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ednevell, the worst place to be at if you get offended easily is the interwebs.

This forum is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay nicer and proper than the other forums I frequent. If you went there, you probably won't last.

With that said, I can't imagine anyone here trying to offend you. In fact, everyone, including myself, am trying to point you to the right direction.

While stiffer springs may help, if my experience serves me correctly, you will just be bouncing faster (up and down rate) than the normal springs because (as people above have mentioned) the device that actually control's the bounce is not the springs but the struts/shocks.

That's why one test that techs do to find out if your shocks/struts are blown/dead is by pushing the body of the car up and down. If the car bounces more than once/twice, that means there is nothing absorbing the shock = shocks/struts blown.

Lastly, thank you for pointing out that the springs are out there to be purchased. Definitely awesome to know that they are out there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I meant no offense ednevell! As a matter of fact i was responding to Ares's comment, and was a generalization and in no way pointed at you. Sincere apologies!

Believe you me, the number ONE thing i want to upgrade on this car is the suspension. And H&Rs with Bilstein dampners is hopefully how i will achieve it. Both company's are superb
    I say we all start by cross referencing from other cars, I have full intentions of installing some GR ksports in the future as I believe this little monster would be great for gravel rally, and then have a nice track/daily driver setup on them. BUT in the mean time I want to drive this car like a mad man with my 40+ MPG city and not feel like I may roll over on myself LOLZ

Country
    Malaysia
    Thanks
    lol i never get offended..

anyway, yes, best is using stiff shocks and soft springs...

probably you need to get tein high tech spring type (so soft with 30mm lower the springs) and stiff shocks(any brand). im lucky that currently i'm using custom shocks from ex lotus suspension engineer - Ftuned racing suspension

if you use H&R , yes its a bit stiff ( my opinion)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The problem is that we call shock absorbers, well... shock absorbers. The correct term is dampers, because they dampen the bouncing of the springs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agreed ^ but it's not any more worse than 'motors.'

OMG. Just. Shoot. Me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im running h and r springs for a bit now with stock shocks. These are great. Granted they can be better with stiffer struts. But its a huge improvement over stock springs