Thread: Wrapping a Mirage

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks

Question Wrapping a Mirage

Hello,

I really prefer matte paint to shiny surfaces and was wondering whether you had experience with foil wrapping your cars?

A mirage is tiny, right? So what would such a job cost?

thx for your thouhts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still about the same, I would say...

Cheaper route: plastidip.

If done correctly, can be just as good as wrap.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Still about the same, I would say...

Cheaper route: plastidip.

If done correctly, can be just as good as wrap.
    I can spray really well, however spraying Plasti Dip on large panels should only be done using a good paint gun.
    This past weekend I tried doing the roof using rattle cans, big no no, had to remove it.
    Now for smaller areas it works fine , I think I'll just wrap the roof instead.

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I've read about the plasti dip coatings. They claim that it is good for one year only.

@Ares: Have you ever used one?

@MyNewMirage: Do you have photos of your plasti dipped "disaster"?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut View Post
    I've read about the plasti dip coatings. They claim that it is good for one year only.

@Ares: Have you ever used one?

@MyNewMirage: Do you have photos of your plasti dipped "disaster"?

I only took a picture of the part that would not peel off, it's very easy to remove but important to apply at least four coats, if not it would be too thin and break off in small pieces but I had about eight coats, too remove it I sprayed it with Goo Gone and was very easy to remove at that point.
    I think my main problem was too much wind which caused a lot of overspray which made it look like crap, no way I could live with it looking that way being the car is brand new.
    I sprayed my bumper with great success but for larger panels I came to a conclusion that it's important to use a spray gun to avoid so much overspray and avoid a uniform look.

Here was the problem area...

Btw?..I personally know someone who sprayed their roof three years ago and it still looks nice.
    They make a Plasti Dip Clear which some are spraying over their headlights to protect them, I may try it, if it doesn't look to my liking I'll simply peel it off.

This is how it's suppose too look, too bad my roof didn't come out as nice, I do have a spray gun so maybe I'll by a gallon of it and do it right, still much cheaper than a wrap.

Forgot to say, I also did the emblem on the front , just didn't take a picture of it, so it's all black, next up I'll do my mirrors and maybe my door handles.
    Last edited by MyNewMirage; 05-21-2014 at 01:16 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MyNewMirage For This Useful Post:

Donut (05-21-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Front fascia looks fantastic blacked out EVO style. My car is black or I'd be doing the same.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have NOT used plastidip myself. But as MNW already mentioned, for an entire car, a boot/closed area with spray gun works best. Also, multiple coats is what I've heard.

Just like with anything, the amount of prepwork/actual work done = quality. If you know a good shop, although it may cost a few hundred $ more, if they do a good job, it's worth it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Donut (05-21-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I have NOT used plastidip myself. But as MNW already mentioned, for an entire car, a boot/closed area with spray gun works best. Also, multiple coats is what I've heard.

Just like with anything, the amount of prepwork/actual work done = quality. If you know a good shop, although it may cost a few hundred $ more, if they do a good job, it's worth it.

Great points, yes prep work is most important and spraying inside a closed shop is the only real way to get it right, I knew better but took a chance, big mistake on my part

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNewMirage View Post
    Great points, yes prep work is most important and spraying inside a closed shop is the only real way to get it right, I knew better but took a chance, big mistake on my part
    In my experience as I've also done the roof of mine just to see the difference plastidip sprays MUCH better out of the can in a vertical position, but also at a vertical position it's MUCH more likely to drip no matter how cautious you are with it.
    I've painted homes, and garages for many years now, and never experienced as thick of a dripping problem as I have iwth plastidip, and since you HAVE to put coats on while base coats are wet if you're taping it off you're pretty much left with no choice but either razor cutting the edges, and dry peeling the tape, or having small drip marks that you can blow away with a decent 1gall compressor, or even canned air provided you get far enough back. To blow my bubbles out I used a 20PSI controlled valve and a pinhole and it worked pretty damn well.
    It took me three tries to get my bumper how I liked it since I did it a small bit different than everyone else (different angles, and I also brought tape under the black lip of the warm air intake portion and curled it up onto the hood so when I peeled it off it'd take the plastidip with it no matter what which required me to make a second multiple coat layer in that portion specifically)
    Regardless, the canned air, and compressor do work, but it's important to note that canned air blows around 75-80 psi, and a MAX of 20psi worth of pressure is what you want, so BACK UP if you're going to used canned air.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 36.2 mpg (US) ... 15.4 km/L ... 6.5 L/100 km ... 43.5 mpg (Imp)