Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Checking CVT oil level ??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Vehicles with automatic or CVT transmissions require the engine to be running to accurately check the fluid level. This isn't something new that Mitsubishi just came up with to make people's heads explode. It's been the case since well before I was born.

The alternative is to buy a Manual transmission but I assume that's out of the question. Just be thankful you even have a dipstick, that's pretty rare to find nowadays.
    I had to laugh,,thanks for that fummins. Im 62 and its always been the same as long as i can remember,i just dont remember ever having such a hard time seeing the fluid level. Thanks everybody for the help!!!!

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Vehicles with automatic or CVT transmissions require the engine to be running to accurately check the fluid level. This isn't something new that Mitsubishi just came up with to make people's heads explode. It's been the case since well before I was born.

The alternative is to buy a Manual transmission but I assume that's out of the question. Just be thankful you even have a dipstick, that's pretty rare to find nowadays.
    Thanks, I didn't know, I've never had an automatic before now.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to skyblue For This Useful Post:

El Kapitan (06-06-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Just did another drain and fill today. Using the hand crank pump method to remove old fluid. The old stuff looked dark green, like the last time I swapped a couple of quarts (Nov 2020, approx 10k miles ago). I've been changing two quarts at the last couple of oil changes since the car has 114k on it. No trouble out of it, just preventative maintenance.
    I may wait 30+k before I refresh it again.
    My only complaint is getting an exact measurement. I think I've got it close to exact, within a couple of ounces. The dipstick is a pain to read, dirty or clean fluid. I'm not sure how much the level can vary without causing a problem.
    You'd think there would be a more failsafe measurement system in place for a critical fluid like trans fluid.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I also wish that there was a better method of reading it.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    You'd think there would be a more failsafe measurement system in place for a critical fluid like trans fluid.
    Yeah, like including a dipstick. I don't know about the newer Mirage but I suspect they're like my '16 Versa and have no dipstick. My Versa is getting ready to hit 30K so I'll be changing my fluid/filters in the next few weeks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2016 Versa View Post
    Yeah, like including a dipstick. I don't know about the newer Mirage but I suspect they're like my '16 Versa and have no dipstick. My Versa is getting ready to hit 30K so I'll be changing my fluid/filters in the next few weeks.

The Mirage has a dipstick for the CVT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

2016 Versa (08-12-2021),El Kapitan (07-25-2021)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I still don't really get this. If I check the level with the engine running after a drive I see a little bit on the tip of the stick. If I check it after it's been for a drive with the engine off it's above the H but below the line.

So either my level is wack or they mean you to check it after the engine is off.

Next time I take it on a super long drive I'll check it and hopefully it'll be at H while the engine is ON, because they never tell you to switch the engine off in the manual (but they don't explicitly say one way or the other). If it's not I've been running low oil for who knows how long.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    I still don't really get this. If I check the level with the engine running after a drive I see a little bit on the tip of the stick. If I check it after it's been for a drive with the engine off it's above the H but below the line.

So either my level is wack or they mean you to check it after the engine is off.

Next time I take it on a super long drive I'll check it and hopefully it'll be at H while the engine is ON, because they never tell you to switch the engine off in the manual (but they don't explicitly say one way or the other). If it's not I've been running low oil for who knows how long.
    Read post #32 to check your CVT level correctly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Yeah alright, took it for a highway run, stuck it in B on the homeward stretch, got it up to 80c, was still showing a quarter up C marker, dumped a bit more fluid in it and now it's pretty much bang on the upper H line, maybe a smidge over.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    On Nissans CVT which apparently Mitsubishi uses the same tranny for the Mirage, 30 - 40oC is required for checking.