Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking CVT oil level ??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Luke92 View Post
    I don’t have a factory manual , but I have read all of the posts.
    This thread describes how to find a copy of the Service Manual. It's been a very helpful resource for us here on the forum.

Found Complete Service Manual & Wiring Diagrams Mirage 2015

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Okay awesome! Thank you

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't have a way to check the trans fluid temperature. Anyone know the amount of fluid (tolerance, more or less) between the lowest part of 'hot' range and the highest? Is this maybe a half quart range? Bet Fummins would know
    Here's why I ask: I pumped out approx. two quarts of fluid, and put in approx. two quarts of fluid....except that it's a windy day, and my measuring bottle spilled a bit, so I could be a few ounces off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Smile

I've always found checking transmission fluid levels to be frustrating. As much as I understand that the fluid expands when warm, it seems to me there should be a reference on the dipstick for the cold, static level (after vehicle has been sitting for a while, maybe 24 hrs, etc).
    Here's what I found with my factory filled fluid: checked not running, and after the car had sat for a couple of days, the fluid was just at the highest bend in the stick.
    I'll check it in a couple of days after an hour drive (idling in park) and see where it shows on the stick. I'd expect middle of the hot range.
    Though this may be helpful for someone since it's not always convenient to check trans fluid warm, or know when it's fully warm without a scan tool.

I haven't checked the fluid level in a while, when I did I used the scan tool and tried to follow the chart in the service manual.
    Iirc if you check the level while not running after sitting overnight it is close to the h mark? I really can't be sure on that though so don't take that as the truth.

I do recall it taking a long time to get the transmission up to the temperature that the manual says to. It's a pita especially with new runny fluid that you can barely see. Driving around in b or ds helps warm it up a lot quicker.

When I change the fluid I measure what came out. I usually get 2.5 liter with the car level and pulling the drain plug. Jack the car up in the rear to level out the pan and can get another .5 Liter out.

If I remember I can try to check the level in my car when I get home tonight. Though who knows what temp it'll be at. It's around -20c here and my commute is about 25 kms.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks! I drive about an hour and 15 minutes to work each way so figure that should be an adequate warm up. I'll check it tomorrow when it's not raining, and let you know.
    My factory filled level, checked cold and not running, was just above 'H', at the top bend in the stick. It's close to that, maybe a hair higher, after the two quart refresh/swap. May be +/- a couple of ounces.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The question is,is there a trick to checking fluid in the cvt after replacing? I can only see it at the bottom of the stick where the bluish fluid runs

Quote Originally Posted by lefties View Post
    The question is,is there a trick to checking fluid in the cvt after replacing? I can only see it at the bottom of the stick where the bluish fluid runs
    Cold or hot. Fluid expands, level rises when hot. And to get it hot it takes a while. A long while!
    If you have a scan tool you can use this https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post29334

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    My factory filled level, checked cold and not running, was just above 'H', at the top bend in the stick.
    This made me curious and I went and checked mine. As far as I know mines never been changed and yet the oil level is at the top bend (above H) like tomrad's but that's taken with the trans completely cold, not started all day. I'm wondering if I should drain some so that its within the C area or if I'm being retarded with the dipstick and not inserting it correctly, I did it several times and got the same result though. It says it should not be overfilled or it's just as bad as having not enough.

Edi: Nevermind it says in the manual C means nothing (or something I can't understand) and that it should be within the H when at operating temperature, still doesn't make sense that I've got oil above H when cold though.
    Last edited by skyblue; 06-01-2021 at 07:36 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    , still doesn't make sense that I've got oil above H when cold though.
    I believe the engine has to be running to properly check the level. The pump has to fill the torque converter, filters, cooler & the other magic things in there to get an accurate level reading...

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-01-2021)