Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Checking CVT oil level ??

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Exclamation Checking CVT oil level ??

Having a few issues...
    I want to check trans oil level (CVT).
    there is no typical instruction on dipstick (ie. check with engine idling in neutral) so I went to the manual where it tells me the usual "dealer should service" and what oil to put in. It also states that it is very important to maintain the proper oil level.
    Oddly though, this being so important.... There are NO instructions on checking the level !!
    running/not running... in neutral/park ????
    Too late to call my dealer and need car for morning commute.
    Does anyone know the proper method for this car?
    (1.2 L CVT Mirage)

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    are there two bolts/plugs on the transmission? usually the fluid is filled up to the uppermost plug. but I dont know for sure. Is there a hatch mark on the dipstick? if so check the level both ways (engine running in neutral and engine off) whichever way gives you a proper reading would be the best guess. did you drain the oil, why the urgency?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The CVT dipstick does have indicators for hot and cold levels, don't know if Canadian Mirages have it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    1st answer... CVT is an auto trans.. no plugs just a dipstick. Urgency, I don't want to fry it at 5:00 am tomorrow as I drive to work/dealer.
    2nd answer... yes there are hash marks on the dipstick.
    As stated in my post these have to be read under certain "conditions".... engine running trans neutral, engine running trans park, static reading with engine off ???
    These "conditions" are what's missing from the manual so this is the info I need.
    thanks.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure if the mirage is this way, but a lot of newer transmissions have to have the fluid level checked at specific temperatures. The dealership will plug in their computer to read the transmission temperature, they then have a scale to follow to determine the correct fluid level.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I admit that I haven't checked the trans fluid level in a car in 20 years, unless there is a visible leak. Always relied on whoever is doing the regular service on the vehicle to make sure the fluids are at the proper level.

With the 1st service not due till 7500 miles, I would think that absent any visible problems with the vehicle (smoke in exhaust, drips, etc.) everything should have been filled to spec at the factory and checked by the dealer before delivery. If not, I'd expect any needed repairs to the components to be handled by warranty.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah... thanks everybody. I did make it to town ok so off to dealer after work.
    I didn't really explain the whole issue so...
    The trans was acting way out of sorts on the way home yesterday, the idle neutral feature quit working, was shifting up way too soon from a stop, dropping rpm to 1000 with the car hopping like a standard with a new driver and I could feel surging/dropping of power on highway at steady speeds.
    Could be many things but I wanted to check what I could, hence my post.
    I will check with dealership mechanic for proper method and post results for reference.
    thanks again.
    Will weld for beer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    The trans was acting way out of sorts on the way home yesterday, the idle neutral feature quit working, was shifting up way too soon from a stop, dropping rpm to 1000 with the car hopping like a standard with a new driver and I could feel surging/dropping of power on highway at steady speeds.
    I will check with dealership mechanic for proper method and post results for reference.
    thanks again.
    Isn't that generally the nature of how JATCO cvts work? I have drove a few Nissans with them ... the whole time I had my cell phone ready for when it finally gave up the ghost. Never did, though.

CVTs are best left to the dealer, unfortunately. I like conventional automatics where I can change the fluid myself and add a cooler to get the thing to 150,000 miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    this should be interesting

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    thanks again.
    reviving the thread. what did you find out? i'd like to know the proper conditions under which to check my CVT fluid.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to El Kapitan For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-24-2015)