Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Checking CVT oil level ??

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I believe the engine has to be running to properly check the level. The pump has to fill the torque converter, filters, cooler & the other magic things in there to get an accurate level reading...
    So you can only find out after you've run it whether or not you've put too much in or not enough, that's not ideal, will have to be super switched on measuring how much comes out if that's the case. Or is it a case of switching it on running through all gears and then shutting it off and checking, I'd rather not have to wait for it to get up to temperature every time I want to check the level.

Last edited by skyblue; 06-01-2021 at 01:42 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    From another thread:

Name:  fluid_check.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  85.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-01-2021),Fummins (06-01-2021)

Last edited by Fummins; 06-01-2021 at 02:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    So you can only find out after you've run it whether or not you've put too much in or not enough, that's not ideal, will have to be super switched on measuring how much comes out if that's the case. Or is it a case of switching it on running through all gears and then shutting it off and checking, I'd rather not have to wait for it to get up to temperature every time I want to check the level.
    Vehicles with automatic or CVT transmissions require the engine to be running to accurately check the fluid level. This isn't something new that Mitsubishi just came up with to make people's heads explode. It's been the case since well before I was born.

The alternative is to buy a Manual transmission but I assume that's out of the question. Just be thankful you even have a dipstick, that's pretty rare to find nowadays.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-01-2021),inuvik (06-01-2021),mohammad (06-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have no scan tool. When i was collecting the old cvt oil it spilled so i couldnt measure it exactly. I added a little at a time......what i did collect was a little under 2 qts it looked like. I added almost 2,5 qts and when the car sat for 2 hrs and pulled dipstick it shows right on the line between cold and hot. After I run it 5 miles i cant even see on the stick but its really clean so maybe i just dont see it. Any other safety measures?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lefties View Post
    I have no scan tool. When i was collecting the old cvt oil it spilled so i couldnt measure it exactly. I added a little at a time......what i did collect was a little under 2 qts it looked like. I added almost 2,5 qts and when the car sat for 2 hrs and pulled dipstick it shows right on the line between cold and hot. After I run it 5 miles i cant even see on the stick but its really clean so maybe i just dont see it. Any other safety measures?
    Read post #32 to check your CVT fluid correctly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by lefties View Post
    It is very hard to see the fluid level when it's new. If you added 2.5qt from after draining from just the plug then you should be good.

Or scuff up the bottom of the dipstick with a file.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    This made me curious and I went and checked mine. As far as I know mines never been changed and yet the oil level is at the top bend (above H) like tomrad's but that's taken with the trans completely cold, not started all day. I'm wondering if I should drain some so that its within the C area or if I'm being retarded with the dipstick and not inserting it correctly, I did it several times and got the same result though. It says it should not be overfilled or it's just as bad as having not enough.

Edi: Nevermind it says in the manual C means nothing (or something I can't understand) and that it should be within the H when at operating temperature, still doesn't make sense that I've got oil above H when cold though.
    seems to me mine was also...i made the HUGE mistake of not marking it......when mine is running I cant even see it on the stick only after it cools. I had rear end parked on my hill on driveway when i drained it so maybe its still real low. Im with you,,very confusing because im sure when my car hadnt been run and checking cold it was WAY above hot marks. It is shifting well,,is there any telltale signs if its low?

If you jacked up the back, add closer to 3L to refill instead of 2.5L

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    From another thread:

Name:  fluid_check.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  85.9 KB
    thanks,got it!!