Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Times slams the Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...iews/130939976

Here's one I just found. Written by someone not biased to only muscle cars. Fairly well and non-bais review and hits all the key points about the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've noticed that the press reviews aren't so hot, but owner reviews are 4.5 - 5 stars all over the internet. What gives?

Answer = chronic perspective-adjustment failure on the part of most reviewers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Amen.

A good reviewer needs to have a clean state of mind before doing a review. OR if you're going to do some comparison, make sure to compare the mirage with a vehicle similar: micra, spark, etc. etc.

GTFO with this "the mirage is noisy compared to a 6 figure luxury vehicle" bullsh!t.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's why I like the autoweek one I posted above. It doesn't compare it to anything it's not.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I feel like some reviewers just do it for a job and dont actually like cars

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I still don't why some reviewers are obsessed with their dashboards being made of a soft material instead of 100% functional hard plastic. Perhaps there's a whole sub-culture of dashboard fondlers out there I'm unaware of....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yttrium For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-03-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It really irks me that this car still seems to get beat down in reviews, as too many people look at these "professional" reviews and form opinions and decisions. The Chevrolet Spark probably gets great reviews compared to the Mirage, problem is the Mirage out does the Spark at the base model level. A base Spark doesn't even come with a CD player, you have to upgrade a package at about $1,100 if I remember correctly. The upgrade gets you more than just a CD player, but regardless with no upgrades my Mirage base came with a CD player.

I wish the general population would go out of their way to research cars beyond what the press force feeds them, maybe they would find their way here or a similar group that can give them first hand long term experiences.
    -Billy

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Biases ALL around - ignore the haters!!

Yeah, I am baffled by the reviews, I read them and drove the car on the test drive afterwards and really had to wonder if they had actually driven the car. I'm speculating they cribbed one another notes... boooo!!

It is ALWAYS more fun to drive a slow car fast, than to drive a fast car slow.
    GO Mirage!!

Here's another baffling review - in terms of safety.
    I am no IIHS fan. But the ratings are egregious when comparing the Mirage to the Yaris. In the "Small overlap front" test the Yaris gets one grade better. WTF

Look for yourself and see what car actually does better -

MIRAGE: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...subishi/mirage
    YARIS: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...door-hatchback

The Yaris doesn't even have the side curtain air bag. Methinks the IIHS funders play a role in these tests... No intelligent human is going to agree that the Yaris actually handles the S.O.F. impact test better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

B t w

Not all reviews are bad - this is a fair shake, if I do say so myself:

http://jalopnik.com/2014-mitsubishi-...iew-1472224538

Also - our car crushes a Porsche in like - every category.
    Only thing is - it's a Porsche from 1963 WTH, it's only 51 years, whose counting... right? And it is considered an automotive icon, I'd say the Mitsu is making quite a name for itself

Honestly, I LOVE my Mirage.

Key figure from the review*
    (note it's in 'metric' tons (aka tonne), so I did the conversion (and it's the 5spd curb weight I used)):

Mirage: 83hp/ton
    Porsche: 79hp/ton

Winner - MIRAGE!

*http://www.autosnout.com/Car-Perform...&EditionID=853

Last edited by Minihaha; 05-29-2014 at 03:06 AM. Reason: added link

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)