Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New York Times slams the Mirage

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    Many of these reviews score the Mirage down because it doesn't handle like a Porsche or look like a Merc. OK we know that, but what about comparing it with other cars in the sub $15,000 category. I've driven most of these, Micra etc and my Attrage is at least as good as any.

terror and peril

One of the things -- of many -- that bugs me most about this review:

Car and Driver magazine measured the Mirage crawling to 60 m.p.h. in 10.9 seconds. It’s the sort of acceleration that adds terror to every highway entrance and daring to any passing maneuver. A sense of peril is your constant driving companion.
    "Terror" and "peril" because of 11 seconds to 60 mph? Really? TERROR?

This is such an exaggeration, it's ridiculous.

My car takes ~14 seconds to get to 60. I can count on zero fingers the number of times I've had to redline it through the gears to merge onto any highway. I have never felt terror or peril at the wheel because I adapt my driving to the vehicle in question, whether it's ~50 hp (like mine) or 505 hp.

There are easily millions of vehicles on the road right now in North America with 0-60 times of 11 seconds or more. Even more in other countries outside N.A. where the Mirage sells quite well. Do all of those drivers live in constant "terror" and "peril"?

What's wrong with this guy?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    It really irks me that this car still seems to get beat down in reviews, as too many people look at these "professional" reviews and form opinions and decisions. The Chevrolet Spark probably gets great reviews compared to the Mirage, problem is the Mirage out does the Spark at the base model level. A base Spark doesn't even come with a CD player, you have to upgrade a package at about $1,100 if I remember correctly. The upgrade gets you more than just a CD player, but regardless with no upgrades my Mirage base came with a CD player.
    When it comes to how the media reviewers are pricing the Mirage compared to the Chevy Spark, Mitsubishi is really shooting itself in the foot with their pricing structure. If you just compare MSRP to MSRP, the base model of the Chevy Spark is close to $1000 less than the Mitsubishi Mirage ($12,170 vs $12,995). However, using a more accurate Truecar.com pricing the Mirage is over $600 less than the Spark ($12,079 vs. $12,711). A lot of this has to do with Mitsubishi's quasi-permanent $1000 factory rebate and a lack of a regional charge.

If the Spark really was $820 less than the Mirage, it would have been harder to go with the Mirage since it would have taken around 120,000 miles of highway driving to break even with the Mirage's gas savings assuming the factory stated MPGs and $3.80 for a gallon gas.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

looking for his balls??

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I'm guessing he's a huge p__sy, lol.
    I actually love thrills, but honestly - the highway onramp merging in the Mirage, meh. If that's terror and peril we'll be needing to see your mancard, ya big sally.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDE5Spd View Post
    ... beyond what the press force feeds them...
    ... maybe that's why they're called the press.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris2004 View Post
    Many of these reviews score the Mirage down because it doesn't handle like a Porsche or look like a Merc. ..
    As an American it took me a few times of reading that and thinking: "This fella really likes his Mercurys..." before I realized ya mean Mercedes, lol!!
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    One of the things -- of many -- that bugs me most about this review:

"Terror" and "peril" because of 11 seconds to 60 mph? Really? TERROR?

This is such an exaggeration, it's ridiculous.

My car takes ~14 seconds to get to 60. I can count on zero fingers the number of times I've had to redline it through the gears to merge onto any highway. I have never felt terror or peril at the wheel because I adapt my driving to the vehicle in question, whether it's ~50 hp (like mine) or 505 hp.

There are easily millions of vehicles on the road right now in North America with 0-60 times of 11 seconds or more. Even more in other countries outside N.A. where the Mirage sells quite well. Do all of those drivers live in constant "terror" and "peril"?

Amen to that Darin, I was thinking the same thing. Try driving a Daihatsu Charade that had an original 0-60 time of 15 seconds on LA's notorious fast paced highways. I've never been terrified (inconvenienced perhaps), and you just adapt to a vehicle's capabilities. Any experienced driver should do the same. Heck, I've driven cars that couldn't even make it to 60mph and it was still okay (a Suzuki Mighty Boy and Alto come to mind)

CNN joins the pile-on: "Mirage: bad at any price"

"Bad at any price"

Just released yesterday...

One unforgiveable thing on Mitsu's part: did he experience the CVT starter / flywheel defect at 1:24? Sure sounds like it.

Fortunately, you can comment on this review:
    https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=kubsJ3-jq-8

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "Bad at any price"

Just released yesterday...

One unforgiveable thing on Mitsu's part: did he experience the CVT starter / flywheel defect at 1:24? Sure sounds like it.

Fortunately, you can comment on this review:
    https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=kubsJ3-jq-8
    Ya know, as we're all clearly fanboys the negative reviews have one positive at least - the cars will be cheap to have; we know how good they are, so let the lame, misguided reviews continue, that way the Mirage will be ours to gather (cheaper) in the future?
    Trying to find a silver lining...
    ゼロ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just returned from a round of golf and on my way home I spotted two Mirages on the city streets. First time I've seen them in the wild. One was a white, the other purple.

Almost waived at the driver of the purple one, as that is what my wife would have been driving, but way something hanging from the rear view mirror. My wife would never hang something from the mirror, so I knew that there was for certain, another Plasma Purple Mirage in town.

The stock at the local Mitsubishi dealer has quadrupled since we bought our Mirage, and they are starting to be seen on other than the dealer's lot. People must not be reading these negative reviews, or are finding the car more appealing than the reviews would lead you to believe.

Of course reviewers would probably say that these are all owned by college kids, whose parents bought them the cheapest car they could.