Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Times slams the Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New York Times slams the Mirage

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/au...verpriced.html

Pretty negative review, don't know if it's the worst one though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to empg For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-27-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A bad review is a bad review but the NYT obviously has no true identity. They simply jumped on the bandwagon and spouted the status quo rhetoric embellished with a passion for misdirection and lies.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Based on my evaluation of the historical listing of reviews from this particular reviewer (JOHN PEARLEY HUFFMAN), he appears to be a speed- and sports-car obsessed gearhead, which completely contributes to his xenophobia of the Mirage.

Review of the reviewer: a "mumbling misery."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-27-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seems like the reviewer spent more time trying to develop clever insults than anything else.

I looked at several competing cars and found the interior of the Mirage superior to anything else. The worst interior was the Nissan Note - very very cheap looking and feeling. The Mirage looks like a Benz in comparison.

It is true that if you are looking for speed, you should look elsewhere. A 5 speed will give you the illusion of speed, but no engine that outputs less than 100 hp isn't going to throw you back in your seat when you floor the petal.

If you're looking for a decent looking interior, great A/C, and gas mileage that competes with expensive hybrids, the Mirage is a contender for your dollars.

All that aside, I find the car a blast to drive. It just has a fun factor that I can't explain, but enjoy every time I drive the car.

The Mirage won't likely outsell the bigger names in the sub compact market. For those who find that the Mirage "scratches their itch" like it does for me, it will likely develop a cult like following.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aydu For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (12-22-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    It just has a fun factor that I can't explain, but enjoy every time I drive the car.
    ... this is the same for me, but I think I identified what it is ... for me, part of it involves reaching the limits of the car's power to do what I need it to do. Kind of like some people who enjoy using very old computers to do "modern tasks" such as using them to get on the Internet.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    I looked at several competing cars and found the interior of the Mirage superior to anything else. The worst interior was the Nissan Note - very very cheap looking and feeling. The Mirage looks like a Benz in comparison.
    100% agree. It's the most cold and unimaginative interior I've seen in long time in the Note; completely devoid of personality. I'd be depressed if I had to look across it everyday for years while driving. The Mirage is built to a price, but they did try to add some nice touches (like the piano gloss finish) to break up the monotony.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mitsubishi Mirage sounds like it will be an absolute ball ta drive. Can't wait - I'm taking the '08 Lancer GTS in today for an oil change so maybe I'll test drive one of the automatic-trannied Mirage's. Give my wife a heart attack! She'll flip!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If the car is so bad, why are we growing in numbers in this forum?

God only knows that there are a lot of other people who have bought the car but have not joined.

^ Yup. I figure roughly 1% of owners are joining.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like the old Top Gear mantra made by Jeremy, "How often do you use the 400hp in your sports car? Not much. You can use all the power and drive the wheels off a car with 100hp."

Or something to that affect. I've drank since then...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MysticMirage For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-03-2016)