Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Darin's review notes: base 2014 Mirage 5-speed manual (Mitsubishi Canada loaner)

Darin's review notes: base 2014 Mirage 5-speed manual (Mitsubishi Canada loaner)

Name:  mirage-graffiti-side.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  44.9 KB

This thread is for my thoughts/comments about a base, no options, 2014 Mirage 5-speed manual. That's the "ES" trim in Canada ("DE" in the States).

Disclosure: Mitsu Canada loaned me this car for 2 weeks, including insurance coverage.

First thing to note is that in Canada, the base car is a little different from the U.S. base "DE" trim. Here it starts at $12,498 (Update: now starts at $9,998 with the current perma-discount), with the major difference being that it doesn't include air conditioning. If you want A/C in the Great White North, you have to move up to the top trim car.

Second thing is this general observation: the car has taken some serious flack in several reviews since I first test-drove it at an Ottawa dealership back in November. After only a few minutes of driving, I do not see what the over-the-top negativity is all about. I do think the car has some shortcomings, but it's pleasant enough to drive -- nowhere near as horrid as some reviewers would have us believe (hello, New York Times).

People even seem to really like its looks. (More than I do!) I'm on a mission to ask 50 people what they think of the styling, and so far (6 people in) it's doing surprisingly well: 7.8 out of 10, average. An early trend, or a skewed sample of subjects with questionable eyesight? People like the rear spoiler, they like the colour, but they aren't crazy about the bulbous, bull nose front end.

I've got about 160 km / 100 miles on it so far, and I'm filling up a notebook I keep in the door pocket. I'll post updates as I spend more time in it.

---

See also: Darin's test drive review notes: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

CLARK (06-04-2014),Mikhail (06-10-2014),Minihaha (06-04-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    You lucky duck ! 2 weeks , must be nice . Will be looking forward to the verdict . Thanks for all the effort .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know y'all generally don't need AC, but AC actually helps with the windshield mosture/vent.

With that said, I just don't think a vehicle should start at 12k without AC.

Yup, don't forget it's Canada, eh?

Of the 3 cheapest cars here, none have A/C on the base model: Chevy Spark (just under $12k), Mirage ($12.5k), Nissan Micra ($10k). In reality, I think the Micra is going to force Mitsu & GM's hand, and your proclamation may come to pass (starting price will be under 12k, either MSRP or with perma-rebates).

If you're not in a big urban center (ie. sitting in traffic) in central Canada (where we do get 1 or 2 months of genuinely "hot & humid" each summer), you don't really need A/C, strictly speaking.

I lived in the Cayman Islands for a little while. Result of that experience: I no longer think it actually gets hot in Canada -- I haven't complained about the heat once since I got back!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I don't know why everyone is down on the looks... I like it. I'm glad I'm not the only one... Darin.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

IwantaMirage (06-08-2014)

I don't mind the looks. I also don't mind vanilla ice cream.

The styling wouldn't affect my decision about getting one.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I like the front and the rest of the Mirage .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I lived in the Cayman Islands for a little while. I no longer think it actually gets hot in Canada -- haven't complained about the heat once since I got back!
    I live in Houston, TX. Didnt have AC for about 4 years. And in two of those 4 years, summer started in February.

A couple of thoughts on the suspension:

^ No A/C in Texas - I think that qualifies as hardcore by most people's standards.

---

Name:  mirage-graffiti-rear.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  44.2 KB

A couple of thoughts on the suspension:

- I'm getting a huge kick out of how comfortably this car rides. It feels like a larger car because of it (perhaps just because I associate a smooth ride with bigger vehicles).

- There's a triple set of railroad tracks at the bottom of a long hill in town -- not smooth at all. In any other car I regularly drive, you have to slow to a crawl before crossing. But in the Mirage, I can bomb across it at the speed limit and it soaks up the multiple bumps like a champ!

- Saves fuel too, if you don't have to slow down as often.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Glad your enjoying it. How are you liking the clutch, and shifting? How does it compare to your firefly?