Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Price war in Canada: base Mirage now $9998 (plus delivery, dealer fees, etc.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I decided the Mirage was the best new car for me. The Mirage beat the new Honda Fit in my absurd subjective all-attributes matrix by a few points - mainly for its simplicity/probable reliability (the Fit is a new design from a new plant, uses direct injection, touch screens etc) and efficiency. I decided I could live with a few extra fees, as the Mirage price was still good.

The build/price calculator shows a $1500 rebate on the 2014 SE, plus 0% for 72 months, and a winter tire package on the SE models, and the $500 first auto finance credit. With all this, I calculated that interest saved + interest earned + estimated $600 value for the winter tires/rims the SE should only cost me about $2000 more than the ES. I sent email to the dealership as I figured there is no sense me sitting there while they come up with the price. Per the build/price calculator, the 2015 ES should be $13k and 4.15% interest, and the 2014 ES should be $17.5k with 0%. These prices are all in, except dealer fees to a maximum of $599 and accessories (I only want a block heater).

The email I received back was somewhat detailed and somewhat confusing. It seems (sale price for today) that the 2015 ES would be $17k - $2500 for cash, or $17k with 0% for 72 months. I think that might include the winter tires, which is nice. Not a bad price, but no better than I was offered last time in June ($13,700 cash +2 free oil changes, no winter tires). The SE special 1% above invoice sale price is $20,268 -$1500 for cash or 0% for 72 months. I believe that includes the winter tires as well. As the build/price calculator offered both the rebate and 0% that is quite a bit more so the ES model is out for me. The only ES they had was $160 more for grey as well, or shipping from afar which would be more too.

At the end of the day, the SE is still a better value for my needs, and I still don't like the way all the added fees are tacked on. The total price is probably still fair, but this business model just rubs me the wrong way. I prefer a much more straightforward pricing structure.

Should anyone be interested in what the added fees are - here is an overview:
    $200 for an extra theft insurance (above Provincially mandated comprehensive insurance), $600 for block heater, paperwork, washing the car and gas, $500 for PDI (tighten bolts, nitrogen in tires, take off plastic, test drive), $160 to mount free winter tires on free rims with tpms, $100 air conditioning tax (applied to both ES and SE).

I'll be keeping my eyes open for a used one, but may end up just fixing up the old Ford and keeping it forever!
    Generally you dont ever get the rebate and 0%. Washing the car and gas should be free. I know at the dealer I work at people are usually better off taking the rebate and a super low interest rate. I know in America a full tank of gas is included with the purchase of a new Mitsubishi. Washing it should also be free. If they waive the gas and car wash for 500 bucks then you should buy it!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    Generally you dont ever get the rebate and 0%. Washing the car and gas should be free. I know at the dealer I work at people are usually better off taking the rebate and a super low interest rate. I know in America a full tank of gas is included with the purchase of a new Mitsubishi. Washing it should also be free. If they waive the gas and car wash for 500 bucks then you should buy it!
    I know the cash rebate/low financing is usually a choice, but here: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ca/en/ the build and price offers $1500 and 0% on the outgoing SE models. The new SE models include the convenience package, and are a year newer, so it seemed they were offering better incentives on the older ones to clear them out.

That the 2014 ES (base) went up $300 since June was a surprise, since again the 2015's are in stock. It doesn't matter much to me, but for insurance/resale purposes, I wouldn't choose a 2014 if the 2015 was available for the same price.

In any case, it seems like I may need CV joints, and I think that for about the same annual cost I can keep my 2003 Focus (which is loaded, and bigger/more capable) on the road. Every time I deal with my mechanic I feel like it was win-win. He is honest, trustworthy, and straightforward and even when it is expensive I see good value. The same can't be said about many car dealers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

2015's

I'm still seeing advertising for $9998 (plus fees) Mirages in Canada.

Here's one for a 2015 from a Burnaby, BC dealership:

Name:  mirage-9998.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  44.5 KB

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/ctd/4829468089.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    I paid €8000 for my Mirage base modell in Germany last August. That comes to about 9000 US$

Was that the factory price for the brand new car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Hyundai Canada joins the fight: $9400 base Accent

Name:  hyunda-9400.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  72.1 KB

It appears Hyundai is no longer content to let Nissan and Mitsubishi duke it out at the $9998 base price level...

A new promotional program by Hyundai to celebrate the signing of a Canada-South Korea Free Trade Agreement has seen the base 2015 Hyundai Accent L Manual (aka the “Quebec Special, with no A/C or other creature comforts) priced at $9,400
    Source: Vive Le Quebec Special: Hyundai Accent Is Now Canada’s Cheapest New Car

The big question (raised in the above article): will you actually be able to go into a Hyundai dealership and find one? That's often the challenge with special price, base model deals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (01-16-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quebec special, eh? I bet it comes standard with Je ne sais quoi! Hyundai has been building a good reputation lately. Nice to see the accent so well-priced.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

$9998 for the rest of 2015

Mitsu Canada has announced the "consumer cash discount" that brings the MSRP of the base Mirage to $9998 (before delivery, dealer fees, etc) will remain in place for the rest of the 2015 model year.

A consumer cash discount for the balance of the 2015 model year brings the starting MSRP of a new, 2015 Mirage ES to $9,998. For 2015, Mirage is available with the “Plus Package” on ES price lines – inclusive of air conditioning, keyless entry, Bluetooth hands-free capability with voice control and power rear windows.
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors-pr.ca/c...rrives-at-cias