Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsu destroys resale values (with big discounts/incentives)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question Mitsu destroys resale values (with big discounts/incentives)

I am wondering what Canadian Mirage owners feel about Mitsubishi dropping the starting (base) purchase price by $2,496.00 just months after we purchased our cars.
    I bought mine Feb. 28, 2014 and here we are just 3 months later with this very substantial price reduction.
    In my opinion this has a very significant negative impact on the resale value of my car.
    I further think Mitsubishi should be held to accountable for this loss as it's entirely their doing.
    I believe we would be justified in seeking reimbursement for this loss through legal means.

What do you think?
    would you be for or against such an action?
    If yes, how would you like to be recompensed...
    rebate/refund, free maintenance/services for (?) Yrs, free accessories, guaranteed trade in allowance... etc?

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you plan on selling your car in a few years, then yes, you're screwed. As far as I can tell, mirage owners who aren't leasing will keep their cars till the mirages fall apart.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I haven't bought a Mirage, but was thinking about this very thing. I don't even know if the lower price is "real" in that when I went in to buy one recently, they added on lots of fees. Even with negotiating, the best price I could get was $900 more than the online calculator, and this was before the finance office who tend to have the reputation of adding extras, so possibly more. I expect that last month, with the 0% financing, there was maybe more room to negotiate - but the sticker said $12,500. Psychologically, you were buying a more expensive car and getting a good deal on financing. Now it seems you are buying a "cheap" car, and getting gouged on added charges. Quite possibly a marketing mistake, but what do I know?

As for expecting Mitsubishi to reimburse you, I doubt that would be successful. Like any product, prices fluctuate and supply/demand rules. If they suddenly raised the price, you wouldn't likely offer to pay more!

Edited to add - Also, you have the CVT right? The discount doesn't apply to anything but the base manual with no financing deal. CVT or SE are full price. The discount is also only a 1 month offer for now, and in Manitoba, there was only one available for the Province. I don't know that this marketing offer will last.
    Last edited by Canoehead; 06-08-2014 at 12:34 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah.. I'm aware of most of that. The "lower" price was initiated so Mitsu could maintain their claim of lowest priced car in Canada in light of Nissan's Micra.

As far as fees.. Don't let them push you around.
    The only fees I paid were delivery charge and a $200.00 premium paint charge which I believe was bogus.
    Go back in and tell them what you're willing to pay. You want a deal, you have to make the deal.
    You will not be happy with the baseline model anyway so get what you want. It's still a good value.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This price Mirage is w/o A.C. , no ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Don't think you can get 'no a/c'...I would have been down with that. Hate a/c...power and efficiency suck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    In canada the base model doesnt have a/c

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Yeah.. I'm aware of most of that. The "lower" price was initiated so Mitsu could maintain their claim of lowest priced car in Canada in light of Nissan's Micra.

As far as fees.. Don't let them push you around.
    The only fees I paid were delivery charge and a $200.00 premium paint charge which I believe was bogus.
    Go back in and tell them what you're willing to pay. You want a deal, you have to make the deal.
    You will not be happy with the baseline model anyway so get what you want. It's still a good value.
    I am thinking they might offer other discounts on the SE model eventually - since the dealers here have more than a dozen of them, and only one es. I can't imagine someone saying "well, it's $10k for the base, and $15k for the one with a/c - that seems like good value". I hope to keep a car for at least 10 years, so while little things like the colour or cruise don't really matter - why spend a decade thinking "I should have got the blue one"?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

I don't think the current $10k base Mirage is going to have much of an impact on resale values.

Why? Because they're hardly selling any of them. Even Nissan figures only 4% of its Micras will be the $10k base model.

$10k is mostly a marketing gimmick. The majority of North American car buyers won't accept a manual transmission, never mind the lack of A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    As far as I know, Mitsu never had the claim for cheapest car in Canada. Before the Micra came along, the base Chevy Spark was about $500 below the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)