Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsu destroys resale values (with big discounts/incentives)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I don't think the current $10k base Mirage is going to have much of an impact on resale values.

Why? Because they're hardly selling any of them. Even Nissan figures only 4% of its Micras will be the $10k base model.

$10k is mostly a marketing gimmick. The majority of North American car buyers won't accept a manual transmission, never mind the lack of A/C.

[/URL]
    Here in Manitoba, when I went in last week, there was only one ES, and it had the premium grey paint, so in that sense there wasn't a single car available for the $9998 price (paint is $160 extra). I was also told that it was not possible to order one in and still get the $2500 discount (something about the ordering deadline had passed/discount was temporary) even if I wanted to wait. Having one shipped from the next closest dealer would be at least $500, and their selection was limited as well. There were, however, a good number of SE's

So I tend to agree - they will sell very few at $9998. Ichabod might be right, though, in that it may "cheapen" the public perception of the car by advertising it at such a low price, even if it never sells for that. To my mind, no matter how good the Hyundai Accent is, I remember it as the car that sold for under $10k (a long time ago, but that sticks).

Last edited by Canoehead; 06-13-2014 at 03:15 PM. Reason: homonyms

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Can't argue with the idea of how it'll affect perception, which could affect resale.

And the funny thing is Hyundai is no longer a cheap car. The least expensive Accent starts just under $14k!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Thailand
    Thanks
    In Thailand they have a base model as a marketing ploy. It's priced very cheaply and looks good on their adverts but no one buys them. For an extra $1-2,000 you get a much better spec car so anyone with sense goes for that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nobody expects the Mirage to have a good resale value.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage's resale value may be impacted by gas prices.

We seem to be in the age where a crisis somewhere in the world will automatically cause gas prices to rise.

Get regular gas to the $6-7 range and you might be able to get 2 V-8's for one Mirage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Mirage's resale value may be impacted by gas prices.

We seem to be in the age where a crisis somewhere in the world will automatically cause gas prices to rise.

Get regular gas to the $6-7 range and you might be able to get 2 V-8's for one Mirage.
    Agree.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

It's funny how people get used to high gas prices. 6 years ago, $3.50 and $4 per U.S. gallon had people snapping up economical cars like crazy. Worn out 10-15 year old Geo Metros were going for insane prices.

Lately, national average prices are near record highs in Canada, and have crept past $3.60 USD/gal south of the 49th... yet I'm not seeing the same level of panic this time around... $4/gal in the U.S. may be the "new $3.50".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thats why i bought my mirage. Now i can comfortably go wherever i please without gas affecting me too much..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't be opposed to poor resale value ... provided the dealers or whoever don't mark them back up to new prices.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Resale values is not a concern for me because I would use the car until it falls apart.