Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day(s) at the Track (at least a couple laps) [place holder]

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Day(s) at the Track (at least a couple laps) [place holder]

I intend to give a brief on the track time and the trip up after the adventure's complete...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (06-08-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Brief run down, expanding on what I related earlier

For the trip up I attempted to see how 'fast' I could make it and what the resultant fuel economy would be. I did a 140 mile jaunt (fuel station to fuel station see pic) 140.9 miles, encountered: towns, lights, traffic and construction :-( but that wasn't unexpected for a Friday afternoon. These were state roads in NE & KS.
    Travel time (includes all stops and the stop while filling up the second time:2.13hrs
    Avg. speed: 66mph.
    Fuel consumption: 28mpg. I am very impressed with ゼロ. This wasn't a 140 mile jaunt on the interstate, it would have been better yet if it was, I believe.

Got to run a few early morning laps in the rain, all alone on the track (I've run this course thousands of miles (seriously) on my motorcycle, so I already know it well). It was a HOOT!!

Some rough feedback on the experience: ゼロ easily exhibited oversteer if I released the brakes abruptly during trailbraking, and also when lifting the throttle abruptly mid corner. It kept a good line on-throttle and exiting turns. The inside tire spun up pretty easily too (DSC was off, of course) - but the track was pretty slick. In a tricky corner, entering a chicane, I did loop it :-) The tail came around fast and I couldn't hold on to it, next thing I knew it was all the way around and I was facing the wrong way. I was the only one out there and I never left the track. It was a bit of drama, but way less than when that happens on a bike...
    I sooooooo wish someone else had been up and out with me to video (nobody had go-pros and no mount for the phone camera was available). So after a few laps and the spin I took ゼロ back to the pits, no worse for wear.

Then at the end of the day, after the bikes were done, I went back out for a few laps in the dry. I have that on video and will put the link on here as soon as my friend posts it to you tube (prolly this evening).

As ゼロ is never going very fast (at least compared to the speeds I am accustomed to on that track), it isn't particularly dramatic. It was, however, a lot of FUN. The Kuhmo's did excellent, but the body roll is ridiculous... you'll hear in the video; in hard cornering the mudflaps were self-clearancing, it was pretty funny. I really, really can't wait to get some springs!

On the way back I was much, much more restrained and keep the speeds to between 65-70mph, except when passing. There was never a 'scary' moment, ゼロ passes with ease, all 74hp do the job very well. The ride was comfortable and quite. Very, very happy with ゼロ.

I attached the fuel slips for the trip up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

time saved (?)

According to google, it's a 2.58hr trip (& 144 miles). Doing it in 2.13 shaved 27 minutes.
    http://goo.gl/maps/Uipp3

Still awaiting the tracklap video getting posted...
    ゼロ

Subscribed for video.

I also had a chance to do some "spirited" driving in the Mirage in a time/speed/distance rally this weekend. It was on public roads, but the route was chosen partly because the posted limits were unusually high for the amount of bends & ups/downs. (I'd guess that 95% of drivers would be below the limit on these roads.)

...but the body roll is ridiculous
    Agreed! Once the suspension compresses and the car takes a set, it goes around the a single curve OK, if somewhat comically.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    But u have to admit its stupid fun!!!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How'd your rally turn out?

It's been pouring here all day, but I'd like to get a shot of how far off the ground my mudflaps measure, I'm speculating 3-4 inches, that's a substantial amount of body roll, lol.

I am signed up for the UR group buy and will be getting the rear anti-roll bar, it will be interesting to guage that & the springs for firming up the rolling, with a Mirage any bit helps.

I am pestering my friend, he says he's trying to get it posted this evening.
    Kids these days, lol!!
    ゼロ

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    but the body roll is ridiculous... you'll hear in the video; in hard cornering the mudflaps were self-clearancing
    hahaha i know how this feels during autocross! will probably take the mirage to the local circuit before the year ends

Looks like you had a lot of fun! invest in a good coil over set instead of springs, the stock shock absorbers tend to break easily IMHO

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageAsti For This Useful Post:

Minihaha (06-10-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

and the video gets posted

I finally got the video up, you can view it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvcRsh8vANA

<span style="font-family: Trebuchet MS"><font color="#0000CD">

It is not the most exciting track video ever, lol.

IIRC the MPG reading was either 15.9 or 19.5, it was atrocious
    ゼロ

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-10-2014)

Added your video in your post. (There's a button in the post editor to enclose VIDEO tag around the Youtube URL )

I thought... "WHAT'S THAT NOISE!?" and then I remembered, "self-clearancing muflaps!"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Minihaha (06-10-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb turn off that "ECO" light

I wanted to add on this thread, as I 'discovered' it (at least personally) on the way up to the track:

If you want the "ECO" light off, all you need to do is get above approximately 78 MPH. No matter what I did above that speed the "ECO" indicator wouldn't turn on. A quick check sees that 78ish = 125KM/h, nice 'round' figure I am gonna guess the Mitsu engineers decided as a maximum for economy/ecology...

ゼロ