Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First Oil Change - was there really..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the "evolution of oil" oil change going on in the Cherokee. 1 quart SAE30, 1 quart 10w-30, 1 quart 5w-30.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Make that a 8w-30 ? I've done that with the lawnmowers with oil leftover from car O.C.s .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure what it is, but that seems like it would be close.

The 4.0s tend to shear 5w-30s pretty quickly. 10w-30 is a bit less prone to shearing down to a 20 grade and ... it's impossible to shear straight 30. If they had 5 quart jugs of 10w-30 I would have done that. But this was all Tractor supply had when they had it on sale for $2 a quart.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK, update! :

After the debacle that was my first oil change, I had the chance to inspect my used oil.

I did not change my oil at 500-1000 miles, ultimately I left it in a bit longer before doing my first oil change due to the fact that I never switched the factory fill synthetic for a break in period with dino.

I changed it at ~1550 miles, and the oil appeared to be in great shape (as much as a visual analysis can offer). I did not detect ANY sparkling, metal wear particles. I definitely felt like I could have waited until the 3750 mile mark, but I am still glad I did it.

I am definitely glad for the upgrade from the factory oil filter (black, stubby mitsu filter), to Mobil 1's, M1-110. I was scared it was not going to fit due to Mobil 1's site not recommending anything for our cars! I bought it anyways due to the thread type matching non Mobil-1 compatible oil filters showing up for our cars on Autozone. So, if anyone is hesitant towards getting the Mobil 1 filter as I was, fear no longer as I can definitely confirm it is a PERFECT fit! It's media is supposedly superior, synthetic fibers. M1-110 is also taller than the factory filter (more media), with a definite anti-drain back valve. Outside casing is also a tad thicker as well I noticed.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    THANK YOU everyone, for this wize advise! One forum poster told me to have my oil changed since I now have 2.200 miles on it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)