Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mudflaps: Minihaha, please answer the courtesy phone

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mudflaps: Update with a quick parking lot pic!

I went to O'Reilly's and got the mudflaps. A quick look at my car in the parking lot shows that there seem to be screws holding the inner liner in place, but they look also suspiciously like plastic clips.

The question is, what are they? If you need to get screws for the installation, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Last edited by kerc; 06-18-2014 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Update

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kerc View Post
    I went to O'Reilly's and got the mudflaps. A quick look at my car in the parking lot shows that there seem to be screws holding the inner liner in place, but they look also suspiciously like plastic clips.

The question is, what are they? If you need to get screws for the installation, what do you recommend?

Thanks!

Holding the inner liner in place are, I believe, as you state, plastic clips (push-pins), the expendable kind. Because of previous experiences with these PPP (plastic-push-pins, most recently on the MINI) I have found them hard to 'replace' with the generic lot available from the auto-parts store. The replacements might go in and seem to fit, but I've had more than one come loose after install. So, I left them in-place and used the screws provided with the flaps (they should be 'hiding' between the stapled together flaps, IIRC) to secure them to the liner.
    After work today I will snap a few pics that should hopefully illustrate the install.

Last edited by Minihaha; 06-11-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: where's waldo (or the supplied screws)
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

kerc (06-11-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

pix

First image:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx6...it?usp=sharing
    The inside of the driver's side wheel well, you can see the screw heads.

Second image:
    "Close-up" of the slight forward bulge due to the PPP.

Third image:
    A bit further back view of buldge
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

kerc (06-12-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you! Hey, I wonder if I could warm up the flap with a hair dryer so that it bends to shape....

Country
    United States
    Thanks

mounting points

It's really noticeable in my pics (that was my intent), in real life from a standing point of view, not so much.

Eventually I will probably pull them, drill a hole where the PPP goes and insert the PPP (or a screw) back thru the drilled hole, but I was in too much of a hurry to get them on and thought I could live with the minor bulge (and so far IDC enough to 'fix' it, just yet).

Though an ideal install will utilize the existing inner-fender mount points. Also, I pre-drilled the mount holes.
    I lined it up, drilled thru the mud-flap and the inner-fender wells, then screwed it down.

Something to remember - when installing the fronts, be sure to keep them up high (relatively) or you'll get to self-clearance them too, lol.
    ゼロ

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Installation

First for the FRONT:

1.Turn the wheel respectively to get access to the inner-fender well.
    2.Line up the mudflap where you like it.
    3.Mark the top mount hole.
    4.Drill the mark and inner-fender.
    5.Screw it in about 3/4 of the way (it will now have a single attachment point at the top, about which it can pivot).
    6.Set it to where you think it looks right, go back behind the car and look at its vertical angle (adjust to your taste).
    7. Drill the lowest inner-most attachment point.
    8.Screw in that point 3/4.
    9.Drill the middle point hole (don't bother screwing in yet).
    10.Dismount.
    11.Hold up to other side MF and tape together.
    12.Drill thru the holes to mirror on the other side MF.
    13.Mount the original MF.
    14.Measure a few critical dimensions, you chose...
    15.Mount the other side with the measurements and pre-drilled holes.

REAR:
    Do this again for the rear, but you'll want to jack-up the rear and remove the wheels, these Mitsus don't have 4wheel steering ;-)

It may seem like a lot of steps, but it isn't really, and if you want it to look sharp you need to put in the time. Allot yourself at least 1.25 hours (it's not a race, take your time)

(TIP - with the O'Rielly's model I usually use the little molded ledge in the upper corner to gauge how far "off" the fender I want the MF to stick out, this is a personal preference, so do as you see fit)
    ゼロ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    First for the FRONT:

1.Turn the wheel respectively to get access to the inner-fender well.
    2.Line up the mudflap where you like it.
    3.Mark the top mount hole.
    4.Drill the mark and inner-fender.
    5.Screw it in about 3/4 of the way (it will now have a single attachment point at the top, about which it can pivot).
    6.Set it to where you think it looks right, go back behind the car and look at its vertical angle (adjust to your taste).
    7. Drill the lowest inner-most attachment point.
    8.Screw in that point 3/4.
    9.Drill the middle point hole (don't bother screwing in yet).
    10.Dismount.
    11.Hold up to other side MF and tape together.
    12.Drill thru the holes to mirror on the other side MF.
    13.Mount the original MF.
    14.Measure a few critical dimensions, you chose...
    15.Mount the other side with the measurements and pre-drilled holes.

REAR:
    Do this again for the rear, but you'll want to jack-up the rear and remove the wheels, these Mitsus don't have 4wheel steering ;-)

It may seem like a lot of steps, but it isn't really, and if you want it to look sharp you need to put in the time. Allot yourself at least 1.25 hours (it's not a race, take your time)

(TIP - with the O'Rielly's model I usually use the little molded ledge in the upper corner to gauge how far "off" the fender I want the MF to stick out, this is a personal preference, so do as you see fit)
    So removing the PPPs and screwing the screws in the remaining holes doesn't work?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would think you could do that, if the screws are large enough to fill the cavity of the PPP receiver-hole in the fender-well. Even though I wrote, "take your time," I admittedly did rush in that I didn't examine that installation scenario.

Ideally: I would use the PPP locations as a mount point for the MF. I would remove the PPP, mark the MF and drill it so that the PPP could go through the MF and back into the fender-well.

I didn't do this because: more often than not the PPP break on removal (they're expendable items) and replacing them is hit or miss if not OEM, and it's questionable if the PPP would have enough depth to remount with the added 'spacer' of the MF.
    That's why I shortcutted - until I am bored enough to go 'fix' it sometime, but I'd have to find PPP that would work - or, as the MF are likely a permanent install, just have large enough screws to utilize the existing mount holes from the PPP.
    Either way, your choice
    ゼロ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I finally got the rear ones right. I installed them with the plastic pins, they are a two-piece slider thing that closes quite tightly. I did have to put a screw to butt the rear flaps against the inner liner on the inside, so that they lie completely parallel to the rear bumper.

Whaddaya think, guys? How do they go with my pseudo-retro look?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Looks good!

They need some armor all though to match your clean, shiny tires!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)