Thread: New Zealand: Mitsubishi Mirage 2013 car review (NZ Automobile Association)

New Zealand: Mitsubishi Mirage 2013 car review (NZ Automobile Association)

A no-nonsense review from the NZ Automobile Association. They give it 4.5 out of 5 stars overall:

Yea
    • decent amount of interior room
    • safety: one of only two sub-$20k cars in NZ with a 5-star rating (Kia Picanto is the other)
    • value for money
    • low fuel consumption: official rating attainable with careful driving
    • smooth ride
    • tight turning radius

Nay
    • "irregular" three cylinder motor sound
    • modest performance
    • 3/5 stars for styling

Overall

They give it 4.5 / 5 stars -- "...they’re in there with the right product at the right price to give it a good shot."

Full review & photos: http://www.aa.co.nz/cars/car-reviews...13-car-review/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

One thing I don't quite get is AA's star-rating system:

Styling 3 / 5
    Safety 5 / 5
    Innovation 2.5 / 5
    Practicality 3 / 5
    Value 3.5 / 5
    Overall 4.5 / 5

How can they rate "practicality"? Isn't that entirely dependent on the purchaser's needs / intended use of the vehicle?

Also, I take issue with a low score on "innovation":

- Its mission is low cost & high efficiency, and Mitsu hits those marks with high-strength steel construction and focused design considerations that permit a lighter than average curb weight. That's innovative, no?

- The weight savings permits using a small 3 cylinder with MIVEC infinitely variable valve control which, given the car's light weight, provides reasonable performance. Not innovative?

- And what about aerodynamic optimization that resulted in a better than average drag coefficient that contributes to good mileage? Not innovative?

Maybe AA want to see something like hybridization to call a car innovative. But Mitsu shows with this car there are other routes to achieving excellent economy without the cost & complexity of a hybrid system.

Innovative.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)