Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dealer gave me the car, but purchase not finished yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just use this as a learning experience and promise yourself that you will never, ever, under any circumstances, do this again.

Car salesmen have a bad reputation, which is earned.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aydu View Post
    Just use this as a learning experience and promise yourself that you will never, ever, under any circumstances, do this again.

Car salesmen have a bad reputation, which is earned.
    While I agree it could get complicated, and I don't really trust dealers, it is also possible that they just expect you will buy the car so they let you have it for the weekend. I was once very surprised by a dealer when, as a very young man looking at trucks for my parents (who were not there), the Chevy dealer said - take this one home - keep it overnight, have your folks drive it and decide if they want it, then bring it back tomorrow. That was quite a leap of faith for them, considering I was maybe 17years old. Still, no problems or obligation - they were really friendly about the whole thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The salesman did seem to me a little less treacherous that the average one. Although I found about $1500 in a not too noticeable package that I hadn't requested, he agreed easyly on my terms.

Mitsubishi dealers in this area are giving nice incentives for the Mirage and the sticker price is hundreds lower than the MSRP. In other words, they are all more than eager to get rid of these cars. Probably I'm just being paranoid (we all know why) and they just really want to sell the car.

However, I have designed kind of a contingency plan in case that tomorrow they try to force me to sign the deal after inflating the numbers previously agreed on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I must agree with most everyone has said. I had a different scenario:

My trade in was at home, but they wanted to 'seal the deal' with me purchasing the mirage. They let me sign all the paperwork, with them putting a $ value on my trade in WITHOUT seeing it yet!

But they did let me sign all the paperwork before walking away with the mirage. I drove them my trade in the next day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm going to see them tomorrow morning. Unfortunately my girlfriend can't go with me as witness again. This is my sketch of a possible disagreement.

In their favor they have three factors:
    -I've driven the Mirage for dozens of miles.
    -I gave them the check with the down payment.
    -I signed the bill of sale trading my car in.

On my side I could use these:
    -I have a witness of how everything was discussed.
    -I can order my bank to stop the payment on the check (it won't clear until Tuesday propably).
    -Legally the traded in car is still mine because they haven't even seen the Title.

Let's hope that they stick to their word.
    Last edited by R01k; 06-16-2014 at 12:45 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    R01k , there's a $1,000 rebate from MITSUBISHI that benefits you and the dealer . You also can get 1.9% financing ( 48 mos. ) through MITSUBISHI with the $1,000 rebate . Go to the www.mitsubishicars.com then click on the MIRAGE . Then click on SEE ALL SPECIAL OFFERS and you'll see all the savings . Let us know how you make out .
    Last edited by cinder; 06-16-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    R01k , there's a $1,000 rebate from MITSUBISHI that benefits you and the dealer . You also can get 1.9% financing ( 48 mos. ) through MITSUBISHI with the $1,000 rebate . Go to the www.mitsubishicars.com then click on the MIRAGE . Then click on SEE ALL SPECIAL OFFERS and you'll see all the savings . Let us know how you make out .
    Thanks. Yes, I've got the rebate, but 48 months is too short for me, so I coudn't get the 1.9%. I got something very close though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All done! What a morning! As expected, they turned to be a party of crooks and liars, but I fought with feet and teeth for every penny. Will explain soon!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Patiently waiting.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Patiently waiting.
    +1 . Could you give the name of the dealer so others can be aware when purchasing any Mitsubishi vehicle ?