Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How wheel & tire size and style affect Mirage fuel economy/mileage

Updated the first post with additional info about wheel/tire choice.

This time it's the Mirage sedan that suffers from worse fuel consumption by going with the larger wheels/tires, according to Mitsubishi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    After doing a bit of sniffing around, it seems Honda uses the same hub bore as us.

Now, who's willing to fit a set of OEM Insight wheels?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How about a set of OEM Honda Civic VX wheels? Under 23 pounds each with Kumho KR21 Solus 155/80 tires.

Name:  a001.jpg
Views: 1597
Size:  96.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only issue I have with 13 inch wheels is that most of the tires that would properly fit our cars are garbage tires. (Cornell 1000, Kumho KH16 etc. ) OEM alloys have enough provisions to get you into factory NA Miata sizing (185/60R14) and a decent set of 15's can let you fit factory NB miata sizing. (205-50R15)

Why would I want that size tire? Because this, that's why.

And here I just went and sold my 1st gen. Insight.

The Insight wheels were light *and* aerodynamic. (The VX wheels are a bit lighter, but draggier.)

Name:  usa_2005_HONDA_INSIGHT_hbk_2_x_exwheel_x.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  57.6 KB

One thing I'd be very curious to find out about is whether the factory Insight tires (Bridgestone Potenza RE92) have lower rolling resistance than the stock Mirage tires. They're the same size. Those RE92's are quite the fuel savers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've read enough reviews of the RE92 to deduce that the age of that tire's design has nothing to do with its performance - neither grip nor MPG wise. A lot of people have commented on the RE92 -increasing- MPG over factory fitment.

I've personally had RE92's on my '10 Yaris (185-60-15) and RE92A's on my '13 Genesis Coupe (225/45/18F 245/45/18R) and would switch over to them in a heartbeat.

...Plus the local Firestone is offering them at $47 a tire, with total installation and road hazard coming out to a cool $315 after taxes. Really hard to beat.

$47 for the 165/65r14??? If so, that's a steal!

If you're going strictly for maximum economy, I believe only that one size of RE92 was rated as LRR though.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This may be a bit off-topic, but how would a larger diameter tire perform? It seems to me (and I'm a bit ignorant!) that, other than messing up the speedometer reading, a slightly taller tire would do the same as a slightly taller gearing, and give better mpg cruising on the highway.

Would the larger tires fit?
    Would the increased rotational mass harm city fuel efficiency?
    Would the increased demand stress the drive train unduly?
    Would the slightly altered angles cause handling/suspension problems?

An added benefit for me would be a bit more ground clearance, as I regularly drive rutted/soft country roads and city potholes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    a slightly taller tire would do the same as a slightly taller gearing, and give better mpg cruising on the highway.
    In theory, yes. But you'd have to balance that against any possible change in rolling resistance going with a different tire.

Also, raising a vehicle generally raises its drag coefficient.

Would the increased rotational mass harm city fuel efficiency?
    Probably a little bit. See also, rolling resistance.

Would the increased demand stress the drive train unduly?
    Highly doubt it. You likely wouldn't change the final drive ratio even as much as the difference between the Euro and non-Euro final drive in the transmission.

Would the slightly altered angles cause handling/suspension problems?

An added benefit for me would be a bit more ground clearance, as I regularly drive rutted/soft country roads and city potholes.
    Looks to me like the Mirage already has a lot of ground clearance for a small car. (But I don't know the roads you drive on.)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    IMO or from some proven facts, having a bigger wheels doesnt compromise the fuel efficiency, the width and offset of the wheel does, but dont forget the design of the wheel such as the hybrid car's wheels.. more like skinny solid plate design which isnt letting much air go in and out of it which reduces air resistance in rotation.