Thread: Mirage DE - My Test Drive

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage DE - My Test Drive

So...got into the dealership today and drove one of each, the 5-spd and the CVT. I really, really liked both.

PROS:

1) price
    2) gas mileage
    3) smooth shifter and nice, responsive CVT
    4) conservative, understated styling
    5) small
    6) roomy inside
    7) warranty
    8) cold AC with strong blower
    9) fine suspension

CONS:

1) slight road noise
    2) body roll
    3) too much play in steering
    4) lack of power/torque

Overall, a nice, affordable, and rare vehicle that really speaks to those who are on the market for such a car. The question now is when to jump on it. I didn't want a payment and my old Previa has been great, but time changes things. And though I think I will be going with manual, I really liked the CVT as well. Decisions, decisions!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty joe For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-17-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No idea what "play in steering" means.

I would define that as: a space wherein you move the steering wheel and no input is had to the front wheels.

If you have that issue, I would highly suggest going to the dealership to get it checked out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, there is some level of freedom of movement in the dynamics of keeping the car straight, but it's slight and not that big a deal. I have had cars with way too much tightness and the result was jolting and jetting to one side or another with every tiny turn.

The only competitor it has at this point is the Versa, but I already think I prefer the Mirage.

Maybe he means "low/slow steering ratio" instead of "play in steering"? That fits better with the description.

I was also NOT a fan of the car's steering at first: not communicative, slow ratio, really weak self-centering (Do you find the "self-centering" of your Mirage's steering to be odd?)

But having said all that... after a week and a half of driving, I was completely used to it and didn't really notice any more. You can get used to anything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The steering does put you off . I'm sure it has hurt sales . The body roll should be addressed as well . Maybe a standard rear sway bar and little wider tires to lower it .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wider tires help the self-centering a little.

Wider tires help grip tremendously.

Lower profile tires help the suspension issue a little.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The steering felt a bit numb, but I wouldn't say there was play in it.

But I'm used to vehicles with steering boxes, for the most part, and there's always play in them.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's electric powered steering, correct? This system seems to have a generally "numb" feeling to it or so I've read. Weak self centering is a pain as well, I recall how spooky it was driving my "darty" littlefortwo on the highway the first few times after years of driving my Tacoma, like another poster said..... "you can get used to almost anything"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Yes, electric assisted.

I wouldn't describe the Mirage as darty. I did about 700 km of highway driving in the last 2 weeks and I did not find it sensitive to being moved around much by the blast of air off big trucks either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)